Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2015 2:20:41 PM EDT
I did a Googley search but didn't exactly see what I was looking for, might have missed it...figured I would ask here.  I don't normally participate much outside of Precision Rifle here, so please be gentle if this is a stupid question

Recently got a NFA trust set up and have two suppressors pending under the trust.  On the trust I have myself, my wife, and my two boys aged 5 and 2 as trustees; I understand the boys cannot posses NFA items until they are of legal age.

I want to SBR my lowers, including the lowers I have purchased for my children, but am concerned about my boys being able to use them when they are older but yet 18 without myself or my wife immediately present.

Is my understanding correct that a registered SBR lower, not configured as a SBR (ie. the registered SBR lower has a barrel 16" or greater installed), is not legally considered an SBR and therefore would not be subject to NFA possession restrictions?

If that understanding is correct, is it then safe to assume that a registered SBR lower, not configured as a SBR, would not require an approved 5320.20 for transport across state lines?

I just want to make sure there isn't a downside I can't see for registering all the lowers in the near term...and while I could talk to my trust attorney or somebody at ATF, I'm sure I'm not the first and won't be the last with these types of questions.

Thanks in advance...
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 2:29:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 2:49:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the insight.

I live in Indiana, but have land in Kentucky where I shoot and hunt.  Both states are SBR friendly and I'd do a 5320.20 each year, but wanted to make sure I didn't box myself in with regards to the kids by registering all the lowers.

I could easily leave the short barrels in the safe and only take "long" uppers with me for the boys to hunt with once they are old and mature enough to "solo" a treestand.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:58:28 AM EDT
[#3]
My trust has it stipulated in it that if something happens to me before they turn 21 the items will go into a sub trust for the kids until they are 21 and will be placed into safekeeping of a trustee until they are of age. I did that so I didn't get flack from the atf during my application
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top