Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/18/2015 11:08:50 PM EDT
I have a 13.7" infidel barrel right now with the kx5 on it total length is just over 16". The gun shoots great but I was thinking about SBR'ing the lower. Is a 10.5 still a decent sized barrel for 5.56? The barrel I'm looking at has a carbine length gas tube. I want to put the kx5 on the shorter barrel so overall length will be about 13". Those that have experience is the difference going to be worth it for home defense gun? I'm thinking the shorter overall length will make it easier to get around the house. But at the same time I'd still like to be able to shoot it out to 200 yards.

I am not a loony tune that thinks the world is coming to an end I'm just looking for an excuse to tinker with a completed gun. Plus on my next build I'll be getting out to 16" anyway so why have two at the same length. Although my next build will probably be a lighter setup.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 9:50:57 AM EDT
[#1]
10.5" is noticeably handier in small spaces, and will still get you to 200 (and 300) yards easily.

I would skip the KX5 on the SBR personally, but that's just me. Get a suppressor compatible MD and eventually get a can. You're going to want one anyway.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been using 10.5" s for quite a few years now.

Imo with the ammo available today no need for a longer barrel other than medium to long range shooting.
I routinely shoot out to 300 -400 for fun with mine.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:04:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
10.5" is noticeably handier in small spaces, and will still get you to 200 (and 300) yards easily.

I would skip the KX3 on the SBR personally, but that's just me. Get a suppressor compatible MD and eventually get a can. You're going to want one anyway.
View Quote

This^

Blast shields are gay!
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:22:27 AM EDT
[#4]
10.5 is my go-to length for HD and general shooting. Skip the KX5 though. I'm just using an A2 until I get a suppressor, and it works fine.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:45:24 AM EDT
[#5]
My MK18 and G19 are my HD guns.  An 10.3" is pretty much perfect for the job.

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:20:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I would skip the KX5 on the SBR personally, but that's just me. Get a suppressor compatible MD and eventually get a can. You're going to want one anyway.
View Quote

Why skip the kx5? A can only lowers the db's by 30-40 max that doesn't seem like a lot. I'm listening guys I'm just also trying to get as much info out of you all as possible. Also the can now takes me back out to16+ inches. I seen a 4" can is that any good that's only a hair bigger than a kx5. I'd like to keep the whole thing short for hallway travel. Thanks again for the info.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:28:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Why skip the kx5? A can only lowers the db's by 30-40 max that doesn't seem like a lot. I'm listening guys I'm just also trying to get as much info out of you all as possible. Also the can now takes me back out to16+ inches. I seen a 4" can is that any good that's only a hair bigger than a kx5. I'd like to keep the whole thing short for hallway travel. Thanks again for the info.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want to keep it short, then why use a really long muzzle device like a KX5? There's no point.

And have you shot with a can before? The decibel scale is logarithmic so a 30-40db drop is a huge drop. The guys using them for a living don't seem to mind the 16" length of a 10.3 with a can, so I don't think it will bother you either.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:32:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because a KX5 isn't really doing anything for you practically if you have to fire inside, except directing the concussion. You are still going to "feel" it if you are in an enclosed space.

20-30db of reduction is a world of difference inside and can save your ears (and your head- I get a headache after a couple of hundred unsuppressed rounds at the range through an SBR. And that's in a nice open area.). And a Mini-4, for example, is only 2.8" of added length.

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:33:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Light off a 10" AR15 inside the house.

You'll be shopping for a suppressor in no time, unless you're not right upstairs.

The concussion and overpressure from SBR's in the house is devastating to your and your family's or pets' ears.  It will crush your skull soul.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:34:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It will crush your skull soul.
View Quote

Haha, I like that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:35:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Decibels are measured on a logarithmic scale. 30-40 dB is a HUGE reduction in sound.

For example, the BCG going into battery was measured at 119 dB in a video I recently watched. That's not very loud (IMO) and you can do it without ear protection. A 10.5'' unsuppressed is 160+ dB and painful even with ear pro sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 12:08:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Decibels are measured on a logarithmic scale. 30-40 dB is a HUGE reduction in sound.

For example, the BCG going into battery was measured at 119 dB in a video I recently watched. That's not very loud (IMO) and you can do it without ear protection. A 10.5'' unsuppressed is 160+ dB and painful even with ear pro sometimes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A BCG doesn't cause a massive wave of supersonic overpressure that is enough to cause permanent hearing loss, and rattle your brain bucket silly.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 12:09:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

THIS! Nothing wrong with a 10.5" barreled upper in .223/5.56. It's going to basically outperform almost any handgun caliber within reason ballistics wise... The only thing about a 10.5" barrel is it's fuckin' loud inside/outside/any side... If you had to use it in a defense situation I'm really doubting you'll notice the noise difference. Adrenalin is a hell of a drug!

ETA: But I agree with others, I'd look into a suppressor next for sur. Until your suppressor stamp comes in you could go with a good pair of electronic ear muffs that amplify sounds under 88 decibils but shut down anything over that for a split second. Just keep them close by your SBR. You would have heightened hearing in your house with them on until you pulled the trigger. I use mine with guys shooting 10.5's at the range and they work just as good as plugs. You're going to feel that concussion for sure though non-suppressed...
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Haha, I like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha, I like that.

Word.

OP, yep 10.5-10.3's rock for HD.  A short can on an HD 10.5" is what you want.  Right now my "go-to" HD rifle is a 10.5" with a Gemtech Trek-T on it.  For short rifle cans I've also got a Griffon M4SDK and a couple Surefire Mini's.  Any of them will bring a 10.5" down to levels that will keep your skull intact.  Full length cans are "more better" but now you are back up to a 16" long "barrel".  Still, like others have said, pro door kickers/face shooters are running 10.3" with full length cans and it's working good for them.  Go hang out in the Mk18/CQBR thread for some inspiration.

Here's one of my CQBR clones (10.3") with a Surefire mini on it for an example:

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Word.

OP, yep 10.5-10.3's rock for HD.  A short can on an HD 10.5" is what you want.  Right now my "go-to" HD rifle is a 10.5" with a Gemtech Trek-T on it.  For short rifle cans I've also got a Griffon M4SDK and a couple Surefire Mini's.  Any of them will bring a 10.5" down to levels that will keep your skull intact.  Full length cans are "more better" but now you are back up to a 16" long "barrel".  Still, like others have said, pro door kickers/face shooters are running 10.3" with full length cans and it's working good for them.  Go hang out in the Mk18/CQBR thread for some inspiration.

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr193/compuvette/5541c764f2503f7c8da79c22b60dd6de_zps0tukylob.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha, I like that.

Word.

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr193/compuvette/5541c764f2503f7c8da79c22b60dd6de_zps0tukylob.jpg

I love that rifle!!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 12:24:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Word.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha, I like that.

Word.

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Absolutely...and you definitely want a can on a HD gun.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#18]
10.5 is a good length for a home defense AR. If the bullet does not get them the fireball and sound concussion will, wait that's a 7.5 inch lol . Seriously SBR's are ideal for a defensive weapon in a home. I use a 8 in 300 blackout with a suppressor but a 556 is just as good. I like the blackout because of the bullet size and I can suppress it. I really do not want to shoot an unsupressed 8 inch SBR in my house. I like my hearing but the bad guys will not like my rifle

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 5:17:51 PM EDT
[#19]
For those using 300 BLK for HD, look at bullets that will expand and not leave the person, because a 200-230gr pill still has a lot of energy once it exits.

The walls in most homes are like paper to firearms, even .22 LR.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#20]
SBR sure if its in 9mm,458,300blk....

SBR in 5.56?  don't be silly.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Go on...
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Go on...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go on...

*realizes he has no base for argument, gets offline*

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#23]
My 11.5 with a G5 is the same length as a 16" unsuppressed, and a very handy indoor length.

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Go on...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go on...

Still waiting...
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#25]
10.3/10.5" is an excellent length for self defense. I'd suggest, like everyone else said, skipping the KX5. If you still want something similar, look into the much more reasonably sized linear compensators out there.
10.5" is honestly probably the most practical caliber for civilian self defense; it's a very small gun and still capable out to 200 yards easily. Shorter is better, and 10.5" is the shorted you can get without losing a significant ballistic capability.

Quoted:

OP, yep 10.5-10.3's rock for HD.  A short can on an HD 10.5" is what you want.  Right now my "go-to" HD rifle is a 10.5" with a Gemtech Trek-T on it.  
View Quote

How do you like the Trek-T for that application? I've been looking at it because I've been considering just going to dedicated cans on my rifles. Why buy QD if you're never going to QD it?
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 7:31:28 PM EDT
[#26]
I really like my 10.5", but like said above, they are blast machines.  I ran a 3 gun match with mine once.  One stage I was shooting off a table.  The RO with the timer was right behind me when I started the string of fire.  When I was done I herd everyone laughing and when I turned around the RO was about 20' behind me...  Right now my go to gun is a 10.5" AK...
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 7:45:44 PM EDT
[#27]
I expect my SBR stamp in a week and a half. It will be a 10.5 for HD.

It will probably be two months before I get my suppressor stamp in the mail though. The suppressor and 10.5 combo should be roughly the length of a 14.5'' pinned to 16.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 8:06:36 PM EDT
[#28]
My 10.5" lmt with my omega is fucking quiet compared to the soul killing unsuppressed version. I wouldn't hesitate one second to light it off inside now. Before, I would have really questioned if it was worth it or not.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 8:36:45 PM EDT
[#29]
If you had to use your suppressed SBR for a self-defense shooting, what about the can? I'm of the opinion that it isn't "evidence tampering" seeing as modern suppressors don't leave any additional markings on the bullet do they?
It would suck bad enough to have your SBR tied up in evidence, but the can would doubly suck.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 9:10:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
10.3/10.5" is an excellent length for self defense. I'd suggest, like everyone else said, skipping the KX5. If you still want something similar, look into the much more reasonably sized linear compensators out there.
10.5" is honestly probably the most practical caliber for civilian self defense; it's a very small gun and still capable out to 200 yards easily. Shorter is better, and 10.5" is the shorted you can get without losing a significant ballistic capability.

How do you like the Trek-T for that application? I've been looking at it because I've been considering just going to dedicated cans on my rifles. Why buy QD if you're never going to QD it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

OP, yep 10.5-10.3's rock for HD.  A short can on an HD 10.5" is what you want.  Right now my "go-to" HD rifle is a 10.5" with a Gemtech Trek-T on it.  

I think it makes a kick-ass dedicated can on a 10.5"  The upper is a VLTOR MUR with a Geissele Mk4 9.5" rail.  Colt 6920 barrel cut down to 10.5" by ADCO.  Geissele Super Tricon in the form 1'ed lower.  The Trek-T lives on the rifle.  I've learned to put a little Loc-tite on the threads or it will loosen.  After a range session I can turn the can right off.  I did recently add a cover to the can but I haven't shot that rifle since I put it on.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 9:18:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Fair answers thanks for all the impute. So what's the shortest effective suppressor for something like a 10.5" and when every thing is together what's the total length compared to a 14.5" pinned to 16" total length. I'm just trying to get a feel for how much shorter I'll end up from where I'm at now. I wanted to be 4" shorter but that doesn't seem feasible.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Since we're posting pictures of our 10.3/10.5s and I'm currently whoring this pic...

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:02:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If you had to use your suppressed SBR for a self-defense shooting, what about the can? I'm of the opinion that it isn't "evidence tampering" seeing as modern suppressors don't leave any additional markings on the bullet do they?
It would suck bad enough to have your SBR tied up in evidence, but the can would doubly suck.
View Quote

I'm no lawyer but if I am ever in that position I'll leave mine on. I do not want evidence tampering to be an issue. Not to mention if my lawyer has to defend my use of an AR SBR I want him to have all the ammo possible. I use the suppressor to protect my hearing, my family's hearing, and even the intruder's hearing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:11:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Fair answers thanks for all the impute. So what's the shortest effective suppressor for something like a 10.5" and when every thing is together what's the total length compared to a 14.5" pinned to 16" total length. I'm just trying to get a feel for how much shorter I'll end up from where I'm at now. I wanted to be 4" shorter but that doesn't seem feasible.
View Quote

AAC Mini-4- 5.25" (2.8" added length)

SilencerCo Saker 556 K- 5.79"

SF SOCOM556-MINI - 5"
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:16:59 PM EDT
[#35]
I decided to take the plunge on a suppressed sbr for home defense. Currently waiting on two tax stamps.....
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:17:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go on...

Poo poos 5.56, recommends 9 mm......

Quoted:
Since we're posting pictures of our 10.3/10.5s and I'm currently whoring this pic...

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5741/20882238903_247248c1a6_o.jpg

You always were a whore lover
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:41:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh why not--I whore this one out all the time.

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:47:11 PM EDT
[#38]
You can go longer barrel, shorter overall length.

Integrally suppressed.  There are some sick systems out there that not many people have seen, and they are scary quiet with supers.

I shot an AR10 suppressed in this manner last year, and it's one of the few times in the past 10 years where I've genuinely been tickled like a kid, eager to keep shooting it.

The can goes all the way back to the barrel extension, which it seals over.  The whole barrel, gas block, and gas tube are encapsulated in the suppressor.

It was specifically built for killing moving targets in urban areas in OIF.  US Tactical supply had an 18" AR10 set up like this at SHOT this year on display.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:58:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Haha, I like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha, I like that.

Very well put.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:59:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Integrally suppressed.  There are some sick systems out there that not many people have seen, and they are scary quiet with supers.

I shot an AR10 suppressed in this manner last year, and it's one of the few times in the past 10 years where I've genuinely been tickled like a kid, eager to keep shooting it.

The can goes all the way back to the barrel extension, which it seals over.  The whole barrel, gas block, and gas tube are encapsulated in the suppressor.

It was specifically built for killing moving targets in urban areas in OIF.  US Tactical supply had an 18" AR10 set up like this at SHOT this year on display.
View Quote

Do you have a link to any of those? I haven't heard of an integrally suppressed AR.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:03:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Here is one of my 10.5" guns. .50 Beowulf. You wanna talk about something that you don't want to peel one off inside the house, this is it!

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:17:33 PM EDT
[#42]
10.5" 300 blackout for me. Love it!

With specwar 762

Note: these pics were before I got my SBR stamp so the stock isn't mounted, a pistol buffer was one. I also didn't have a charging handle yet...
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:25:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Do you have a link to any of those? I haven't heard of an integrally suppressed AR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ever since I shot one of these, I've been thinking of how perfect it would be to have a little Grendel set up like this.

Hotness
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:32:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Ever since I shot one of these, I've been thinking of how perfect it would be to have a little Grendel set up like this.

Hotness
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hotness

Woah.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 1:12:30 AM EDT
[#45]

My current HD gun

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 1:29:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

SF SOCOM556-MINI - 5"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SF SOCOM556-MINI - 5"

Thanks more great info once again. My current setup is equipped with a JP SCS and the spring pack to be able to make adjustments. So if I decided to go the SBR and silencer route do I need an adjustable gas block or will the JP SCS spring pack be enough to get the adjustment right? What else is recommend to be changed out with a silencer?
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 1:51:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll play. DD 10.3" bbl. love it. Pretty much never shoot my 16" anymore. Sad, because it's a really nice setup..

16" arfcom.

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 4:24:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm no lawyer but if I am ever in that position I'll leave mine on. I do not want evidence tampering to be an issue. Not to mention if my lawyer has to defend my use of an AR SBR I want him to have all the ammo possible. I use the suppressor to protect my hearing, my family's hearing, and even the intruder's hearing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...plus even assuming it's a good shoot, you have way worse hassles than your SBR+can being out of service for a few months/whatever.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 5:34:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Thanks more great info once again. My current setup is equipped with a JP SCS and the spring pack to be able to make adjustments. So if I decided to go the SBR and silencer route do I need an adjustable gas block or will the JP SCS spring pack be enough to get the adjustment right? What else is recommend to be changed out with a silencer?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SF SOCOM556-MINI - 5"

Yes with 5.56 your gun will thank you for installing a adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 6:24:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Every year numerous guys bring out 10.5'' guns to the annual AR match and they will rock your skull, even with double ear pro on. God forbid they have to shoot the thing inside a car, under a car, or under a shelter...

It is seriously fucking brutal. With a good can it will sound sorta like a 22lr rifle, which isn't hearing safe but a hell of a lot better than any un-suppressed AR. I was very impressed with one guys 10.5'' that was wearing a YHM phantom can. I even took out my ears just so I could hear it one time to see if it would be manageable and I got no pain or ringing.

I think the blast reduction alone might make a can on an AR with worth it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top