Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2015 7:06:31 PM EDT
I have an approved form 1 for an 11.5" SBR and want to change to a 10",, simply replacing the upper is all I want to do.   What do I have to do as far as notifying ATF?
thanks
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing. The 11.5 on the form is simply your original intent. It doesn't have to ever actually be in that configuration.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#2]
so technically I don't even have to own an 11.5" upper?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:18:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

exactly
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:20:53 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks guys.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:53:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought you had to notify via letter, for any permanent changes to configuration?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:31:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I thought you had to notify via letter, for any permanent changes to configuration?
View Quote
It's more of they'd appreciate it if you did from what I understand.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not required and if you think about it, even if it was, an upper change is never a permanent change on an ar.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:31:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not required and if you think about it, even if it was, an upper change is never a permanent change on an ar.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's the truth!

Quoted:
It's more of they'd appreciate it if you did from what I understand.  

Makes sense.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 2:13:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I thought if you have it registered as an SBR with say 11.5" you could only build longer, not shorter? Is that not the case? Does anyone have a link stating that's not the case? Thanks
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 2:33:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I thought if you have it registered as an SBR with say 11.5" you could only build longer, not shorter? Is that not the case? Does anyone have a link stating that's not the case? Thanks
View Quote

That's not correct. Rather than us trying to prove what's possible, why don't you show us where that's illegal?

By the way, I'm not trying to be a smartass. Almost exclusively, the US has laws of exclusion, not laws of inclusion. That is, we have laws which state what's illegal, not laws telling you what's legal. It would be impossible for us to provide a law saying that it's legal. Rather, you would have to show where it's illegal. It's extremely common knowledge that an SBR is an SBR, regardless of barrel length.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 3:31:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's not correct. Rather than us trying to prove what's possible, why don't you show us where that's illegal?

By the way, I'm not trying to be a smartass. Almost exclusively, the US has laws of exclusion, not laws of inclusion. That is, we have laws which state what's illegal, not laws telling you what's legal. It would be impossible for us to provide a law saying that it's legal. Rather, you would have to show where it's illegal. It's extremely common knowledge that an SBR is an SBR, regardless of barrel length.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wasn't being an ass, this is just what I have been told by others who own SBR's already. I have a can that should clear soon, that's my only NFA item so I'm new to the NFA world. I was asking because it would give me a leg to stand on when I argue this to my friends who disagree. I will be sending in paperwork soon for a SBR and was told you could go longer, not shorter.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 9:05:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 12:17:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I wasn't being an ass, this is just what I have been told by others who own SBR's already. I have a can that should clear soon, that's my only NFA item so I'm new to the NFA world. I was asking because it would give me a leg to stand on when I argue this to my friends who disagree. I will be sending in paperwork soon for a SBR and was told you could go longer, not shorter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of us own SBRs already. Your friends aren't thinking. What's a rifle with a 12.5" barrel? An SBR. What is it with an 11.5" barrel? An SBR. What is it with a 10.5" barrel? You guessed it...

It doesn't matter what the barrel length or overall length are once is registered as an SBR.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#14]
They got their tax money citizen. That's all they need from you.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Correct.

My SBR says 11.5" but I no longer own one, i have a 10.3" now.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#16]
What if I have an Factory SBR with a 10.5 barrel length and want to buy a 10.5 300 BLK upper for it?

Can I do this?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 3:32:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 4:13:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Even if it is on a form 4 and not a form 1, correct?

Thanks

Mark
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 4:23:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top