Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:37:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I choose to do an SBR because I hated getting in and off vehicles with a M16A2.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Because long barrels get hung up on the overhead cigarette racks at the local convenience store..
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 8:22:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I destroyed a barrel while pinning and welding, so f that I'm sbr'ing the lower and never dealing with that retarded waste of time again.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 6:24:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Working on SBRing this:

Because AR pistols suck, bad.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 10:54:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Well...as the OP I just wanna say that I've been doing research on the whole SBR / NFA thing and have come to the conclusion...

Never!

What a bureaucratic nightmare of legal pitfalls, contradictory legal opinions and varying state laws all compounded and run by an agency (yes, ATF, you're an agency) that wields the power to jail me for a decade and slap me with a six-figure fine all so I can have 4 inches less barrel on my range gun. Not worth it. That said, good for you guys that do it. Looks like fun and you should enjoy...but be careful.

Link Posted: 10/17/2015 11:09:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Chicks dig short barrels.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well...as the OP I just wanna say that I've been doing research on the whole SBR / NFA thing and have come to the conclusion...

Never!

What a bureaucratic nightmare of legal pitfalls, contradictory legal opinions and varying state laws all compounded and run by an agency (yes, ATF, you're an agency) that wields the power to jail me for a decade and slap me with a six-figure fine all so I can have 4 inches less barrel on my range gun. Not worth it. That said, good for you guys that do it. Looks like fun and you should enjoy...but be careful.

View Quote

What legal pitfalls and contradictory opinions are you speaking of?
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 1:12:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Never!

View Quote

Frankly, if you think the NFA world is sooo scary you won't own any Title II firearms, you shouldn't own any Title I firearms either. There's SO MUCH trouble you can get in with firearms violations, I'm amazed that you can have that opinion and yet own firearms.

Stay indoors, the world is a scary place.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 2:36:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

#boss
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use my SBR for coyote control on the farm.  Horses don't like loud noises, so I shoot suppressed.  With a 10" barrel and suppressor my SBR weighs the same as it did with a 16" barrel and 12" forend.

The REAL reason I did it, one big F U to the IRS!

FYI, I deducted my whole rig from my taxes, all $5k of it, for pest control on my farm.  Don't forget to deduct your tax stamps, you are not obligated to pay taxes twice, it's actually illegal.

#boss

Deduct the stamps from what?  Pay taxes twice?  Explain please.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 2:36:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Pretty sure tax stamps aren't deductible....but that's between you, the IRS, and your accountant
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use my SBR for coyote control on the farm.  Horses don't like loud noises, so I shoot suppressed.  With a 10" barrel and suppressor my SBR weighs the same as it did with a 16" barrel and 12" forend.

FYI, I deducted my whole rig from my taxes, all $5k of it, for pest control on my farm.  Don't forget to deduct your tax stamps, you are not obligated to pay taxes twice, it's actually illegal.

Pretty sure tax stamps aren't deductible....but that's between you, the IRS, and your accountant

Right.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 2:39:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I read on here a few years ago about a few forms that got kicked back because "All lawful purposes" was too vague, so I slapped on the "To enhance collection" part onto the front. I've never had a problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"To enhance collection and use for all lawful purposes"

AKA because 16" barrels are stupid.
Sounds like my typical response of "for all legal and lawful purposes".  

I've always wanted to put "'Murica" in the stated purpose box just to see how fast ATF would deny the form 1.

I read on here a few years ago about a few forms that got kicked back because "All lawful purposes" was too vague, so I slapped on the "To enhance collection" part onto the front. I've never had a problem.

Back in the 80's my brother would use "For my Collection" and never had a problem.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 2:45:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Keep your pinned & welded 14.5" as it is.
Make new upper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm thinking of SBRing my current 14.5" pinned carbine and am curious what reasons most people have for doing this. For me, it's that the whole contraption will be too long with a suppressor on the end. I don't "need" a short barrel as this isn't an HD weapon and I don't kick doors for a living.

What are your reasons?

Keep your pinned & welded 14.5" as it is.
Make new upper.

Wish it was that easy.  Here in CT cant buy anymore lowers unless its a preban.  I have already spent enough on two preban lowers.

I think I will have to get my 14.5" unpinned and then SBR it or other way around.....same result.   I may want to suppress it at some point.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 2:46:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have a number of stamps...I don't know how me giving them $200 for each stamp, and that adds up, is a big FU....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

#boss

I have a number of stamps...I don't know how me giving them $200 for each stamp, and that adds up, is a big FU....

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 2:48:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

He's saying it was a big FU to the IRS because he called his predator hunting rig a "business expense" and deducted all $5k of it.

Again, it is a bad idea to deduct your tax stamps themselves. The tax code specifically states that excise taxes and tax stamps are not deductible, otherwise people could also deduct booze, cigarettes, gasoline, and a host of other taxed but voluntary purchases.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

#boss

He's saying it was a big FU to the IRS because he called his predator hunting rig a "business expense" and deducted all $5k of it.

Again, it is a bad idea to deduct your tax stamps themselves. The tax code specifically states that excise taxes and tax stamps are not deductible, otherwise people could also deduct booze, cigarettes, gasoline, and a host of other taxed but voluntary purchases.

The stamps are not deductible but he is deducting his cans, ammo and anything else he can claim helped him kill hogs or whatever it is he is killing.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 2:51:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Main reason being the suppressor on the end would be too unwieldy with a barrel longer than 8", which is 16.5" total with the suppressor on it.

The final motivation though was my sig brace falling apart and then  the ATF causing trouble with being allowed to shoulder it legally... rather than replace the brace I just spent the extra $100 on the stamp. The half pound it took off the rifle was worth the $100 anyway. Those braces are heavy.
View Quote

I have my 10.3" set up as a pistol for now but will be doing the Form 1 when funds permit.  I actually really like the looks with the pistol buffer tube from Phase V.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 2:56:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Because:
1. I can.
2. SBR's are cool.
3. In PA SBR's fall under my CCW and can be loaded in a vehicle where a normal 16" rifle cannot.
View Quote

How to travel with the 16"?  Like to the range?
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 2:59:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
...because I can...

Thats it, nothing more.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 3:23:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
because 10.5>ALL!!!!! Trust me try one they should all be that length.
View Quote

So my 10.3" is no good?
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I do it for historical significance. I have always been in love with the XM177E1, from when I was a kid and would watch the film and photo footage from Viet Nam. And Sterling Mk IV and Uzi carbines just look wrong with 16" barrels. Plus, reproducing a short barreled M1 carbine also falls into my historical fascination with the Viet Nam conflict. Might even build a carbine like the ones used by the SLA in CA. Not that I am supporting any SLA activity.

Who wants a Thompson M1 with a 16" barrel. Just ain't right.

AND, "All Lawful Purposes". THAT is why I want one!
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 8:47:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I have been resisting getting into stamp collecting, but after the ATF went after the Sig Brace, I took the plunge.  Waiting for my SBR stamp and working on suppressors now.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top