Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:28:42 PM EDT
[#1]
1. Lighter
2. More maneuverable
3. cooler
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#2]
The first time I did it was because I was building a 9mm AR and I think 16" barrels on a 9mm are stupid. The second time I did it I was going to build a Mk18 clone, but then I decided that cloning wasn't my thing, but a 10.5" AR was the perfect thing to be suppressed. Finally the last time I SBR'd an AR was when I decided I wanted a short barreled 6.8 SPC AR to hunt with, and a 12.5" barrel with a suppressor is pretty handy.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:27:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I am waiting on stamps, but for me it is OAL with a supressor, for predator hunting.

I need to go out of state for hog hunting, so have two 16" uppers for my son and I if the paperwork is an issue.

JPK
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:49:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Simple:  BRD.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:02:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
...because I can...

Thats it, nothing more.
View Quote

You are a GOD.....Sir...
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:31:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Are you James Bond...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Nah,  I'm taller and better looking. ..
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:44:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Someone told me this week that SBRs are stupid. And that he sees no point it them. I told him that he does not know what he is missing..
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:52:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Someone told me this week that SBRs are I talked to this week is stupid. And that he sees no point it them. I told him that he does not know what he is missing..
View Quote

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
FYI, I deducted my whole rig from my taxes, all $5k of it, for pest control on my farm.  Don't forget to deduct your tax stamps, you are not obligated to pay taxes twice, it's actually illegal.
View Quote

Hopefully I'm not the first to mention this, but this is bad advice. Excise taxes and tax stamps are specifically NOT tax deductible. This has been discussed at length before.

On topic: I SBR'ed my guns because a lot of rifles weren't designed with 16" barrels, and selling them with such makes them look goofy and feel unwieldy.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm thinking of SBRing my current 14.5" pinned carbine and am curious what reasons most people have for doing this. For me, it's that the whole contraption will be too long with a suppressor on the end. I don't "need" a short barrel as this isn't an HD weapon and I don't kick doors for a living.

What are your reasons?
View Quote

Keep your pinned & welded 14.5" as it is.
Make new upper.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:20:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Why not.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:08:56 PM EDT
[#13]
i just do not like long guns.  There I said it.   I may one day eventually consider the possibility of thinking about the exploratory process with which one would have to embark upon to obtain a noise canceling device.  But not right now.  I have a m92 sbr that I have to use double pro with.  You do not have fiends when you shoot it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Because chicks dig short barrels...
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:26:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

#boss
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use my SBR for coyote control on the farm.  Horses don't like loud noises, so I shoot suppressed.  With a 10" barrel and suppressor my SBR weighs the same as it did with a 16" barrel and 12" forend.

The REAL reason I did it, one big F U to the IRS!

FYI, I deducted my whole rig from my taxes, all $5k of it, for pest control on my farm.  Don't forget to deduct your tax stamps, you are not obligated to pay taxes twice, it's actually illegal.

#boss

I have a number of stamps...I don't know how me giving them $200 for each stamp, and that adds up, is a big FU....
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Always wanted one.

MERICA!!!

11.5 is loud as fuck I need a can.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:07:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Because California said no.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:29:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I have a number of stamps...I don't know how me giving them $200 for each stamp, and that adds up, is a big FU....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use my SBR for coyote control on the farm.  Horses don't like loud noises, so I shoot suppressed.  With a 10" barrel and suppressor my SBR weighs the same as it did with a 16" barrel and 12" forend.

The REAL reason I did it, one big F U to the IRS!

#boss

He's saying it was a big FU to the IRS because he called his predator hunting rig a "business expense" and deducted all $5k of it.

Again, it is a bad idea to deduct your tax stamps themselves. The tax code specifically states that excise taxes and tax stamps are not deductible, otherwise people could also deduct booze, cigarettes, gasoline, and a host of other taxed but voluntary purchases.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:47:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Because the 300 blk was designed around a 9" barrel.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:26:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have several non-SBR AR's.

The vast majority of my AO's defensive scenarios are 0-150 yards.

SBR's are perfect for that distance, perfect for vehicle deployment, easy to handle, easier to conceal, fun to shoot, and IMO, 10.5" SBR's to 12" SBR's are the sweet spot,  thus I have a few of those.

My latest Form 1 is for an MP5......and SBRing it is simply the only acceptable configuration for that gun.

Guns like the AUG, Tavor and other bullpups can also achieve similar lengths as SBR's but leave a lot to be desired compared to short AR's IMO.
View Quote

Same here... And because an MP5 without a stock is just a big pistol. The awesomeness comes with the A2 stock. That and a pile of 9mm and mags.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:28:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
...because I can...

Thats it, nothing more.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:33:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

1. Lighter

2. More maneuverable

3. cooler

View Quote

Except different order. Rule #1 is look cool.

SBR + Suppressor and shorter than a 16" rig? Win.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 12:32:17 AM EDT
[#23]
I am a small petite guy and I carried an M16 when I was in the army and felt that I was too small for it.  The A2 stock was too long for me to properly use the sights and the barrel length would make me bang the rifle everywhere when slung onto my shoulders.  To me it was a big weapon.  Having all 3 of my lowers registered, they all feel ergonomic to me, plus helps reduce weight.  Also I wanted to make an M4 clone with the proper 14.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 11:41:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
...because I can...

Thats it, nothing more
they are awesome.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 11:51:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 2:43:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Generally I prefer factory SBRs because no engraving is needed. The only form-1 SBRs I've registered were a Sig 556 converted to full 552 spec by AMA, a Sig 556 pistol, SwissArms/SIG 552 PD trade-in made into a title-1 rifle by adding a perm barrel extension, SwissArms/SIG 553 pistol, and FN PS90. The 556/552 and 556P were registered because at the time Sig didn't offer factory SBRs. The Swiss 552 was registered to bring it back to its proper factory configuration. The 553P was registered because again, Sig didn't offer factory SBRs at the time. And the PS90 was registered because FN did/does not offer factory SBRs. But in general I prefer a factory produced SBR. They retain value better than engraved form-1 SBRs. All of my AR15 SBRs are factory Colt.

As others have said, I own SBRs because I can and they are awesome. There is another important reason. The more gun enthusiasts who own SBRs the more common they become. The more common they become the better standing we have for protection under Heller.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 11:21:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Main reason being the suppressor on the end would be too unwieldy with a barrel longer than 8", which is 16.5" total with the suppressor on it.

The final motivation though was my sig brace falling apart and then  the ATF causing trouble with being allowed to shoulder it legally... rather than replace the brace I just spent the extra $100 on the stamp. The half pound it took off the rifle was worth the $100 anyway. Those braces are heavy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 8:59:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
From what I see, almost everyone did it for the shorter OAL with a can.
I, on the other hand, am holding strong on NOT becoming a stamp collector.
(but they are so damn cool)
View Quote

Buy a 4" Taccom upper and get back to us on that
It's just too damn cute not to have a stock on it.

I didn't sweat a 14.5" bbl vs. a 16" bbl; not worth it to me.
I was like, wth hell do I need a SBR for?
Got into the suppressor game and it's like "It'd be nice if this thing was shorter"
Then the 300 Blackout came out; short and sweet.
BRD, suppressors, SBRs; this website is a bad influence.

Link Posted: 9/13/2015 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Because Merica!
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 6:21:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Just for the fun of it, I suppose. To have a new range toy.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 6:37:46 PM EDT
[#31]
I did my first one for the fun of owning and shooting a SBR.

One of the perks of a SBR in PA, it is classed as a firearm and not a rifle therefore it can be carried loaded on your person or in a vehicle with a ccw permit even during a state of emergency.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 12:51:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Because I wanted something shorter to attach my 762-SDN-6 to.
Because I can.
Because my friends in CA can't
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:54:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Cause SBRs are badass.

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Can someone explain to me how a 10.5" barrel with a suppressor is shorter than a 14.5 or even 16" barrel?  I thought most suppressors are longer than 4".  And how much do they weigh?  Is it really lighter than an M4ger without a can?  

Yeah, without the can I can see it being shorter and lighter, but I don't even want to fire one without a can.  A 14.5 is loud enough on it's own.  

Having said that, I do like the idea of them, I just don't see the actual facts of the matter saying they are lighter and shorter WITH a can. .
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 5:46:01 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Can someone explain to me how a 10.5" barrel with a suppressor is shorter than a 14.5 or even 16" barrel?  I thought most suppressors are longer than 4".  And how much do they weigh?  Is it really lighter than an M4ger without a can?  

Yeah, without the can I can see it being shorter and lighter, but I don't even want to fire one without a can.  A 14.5 is loud enough on it's own.  

Having said that, I do like the idea of them, I just don't see the actual facts of the matter saying they are lighter and shorter WITH a can. .
View Quote
No one is saying that a 10.5 is shorter with a can than a 16'' without a can. We're saying that a 10.5 with a can is shorter than 16'' with a can. While a 10.5 is louder than a 16, they are both insanely loud and destructive to eardrums.

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Gotcha.  I guess I misread what people were saying.  

I know that I even notice a difference between a 16 and 14.5.  The 16 being easier on the ears with ear protection on.  I'm curious as to the decibel difference between a 10.5 with a can and a 16"er.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 6:26:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Mostly because I damn can. I'm gonna suppress it one day too!

Link Posted: 9/27/2015 9:29:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Cause Merica!
ETA: the reason I originally built this was as a clone, but I was planning on an SBR anyhow
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 8:08:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I know that I even notice a difference between a 16 and 14.5.  The 16 being easier on the ears with ear protection on.  I'm curious as to the decibel difference between a 10.5 with a can and a 16"er.
View Quote

I don't know about decibels, but I've heard it said that a suppressed SBR is about as loud as an unsuppressed .22lr rifle.

I'd imagine that varies though. I have a 22" .22lr rifle that is totally hearing safe (as far as I can tell) but I'm not sure that a suppressed 5.56 would be that quiet.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 11:58:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I don't know about decibels, but I've heard it said that a suppressed SBR is about as loud as an unsuppressed .22lr rifle.

I'd imagine that varies though. I have a 22" .22lr rifle that is totally hearing safe (as far as I can tell) but I'm not sure that a suppressed 5.56 would be that quiet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard the same thing.  But then my ears ring all the time and I have a hard time hearing when there is background noise.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:14:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Did mine in 08

Thought they looked cool.

I was 18 at the time

I chose wisely
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Several reasons.

1: I wanted a stamp, but didn't want an AOW. SBR was the cheapest way to get in. Buy stamp, buy 10.5 barrel. Remove and replace 16.0 barrel.
2: I think ARs look way cooler with short barrels.
3: I like turning heads. 10.5" barrel with a Lantac turns a lot of heads when I crack off a few rounds.

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 3:32:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Because:
1. I can.
2. SBR's are cool.
3. In PA SBR's fall under my CCW and can be loaded in a vehicle where a normal 16" rifle cannot.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:18:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Because:
1. I can.
2. SBR's are cool.
3. In PA SBR's fall under my CCW and can be loaded in a vehicle where a normal 16" rifle cannot.
View Quote

It would be nice if that held true in NYS as well
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:19:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
...because I can...

Thats it, nothing more.
View Quote

FPNI. I have an 11.5" SBR and a Colt 14.5"  M4 upper as well.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:21:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would've loved this back when I still had my 350Z.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:08:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Reason 1 because I want to and can

Reason 2 because a suppressor on a 16" is too much

Reason 3 because from time to time I do kick doors in for a living
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:08:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Homestead defence with and without the use of suppressors.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:26:21 PM EDT
[#49]
because 10.5>ALL!!!!! Trust me try one they should all be that length.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:38:07 PM EDT
[#50]
because the voices in my head told me too!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top