Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2015 1:23:44 PM EDT
Waiting on a form 1 sbr and I want to get the lower engraved. My question is what all needs to be engraved? I did several searches but got conflicting answers and it seems the atf has changed requirements over the years. I know I need trust name and city/state. My biggest question is do I need caliber? My lower is a spikes and the caliber listed on it is multi. However, the upper is 300blk and the form one is listed as 300 caliber. If I do need to engrave caliber what do I put, multi, 300, 300 BLK, 300 blackout? Thanks in advance for the help.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:40:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Trust name (that matches the approve form) and the city and state where firearm is actually made.

The caliber is supposed to be on the frame, receiver, barrel or pistol slide (if applicable). If your barrel is marked and that marking is visible, you're fine. If not, just have the caliber on the form engraved on the lower when the rest is engraved.

I've had some of mine engraved in the same spot, and on others I engraved it between the pivot pin ears on the lower. Did it by hand with a dremel, it's visible if you look, and was free.

ATF Ruling 2013-3 is fairly clear on what is needed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Waiting on a form 1 sbr and I want to get the lower engraved. My question is what all needs to be engraved? I did several searches but got conflicting answers and it seems the atf has changed requirements over the years. I know I need trust name and city/state. My biggest question is do I need caliber? My lower is a spikes and the caliber listed on it is multi. However, the upper is 300blk and the form one is listed as 300 caliber. If I do need to engrave caliber what do I put, multi, 300, 300 BLK, 300 blackout? Thanks in advance for the help.

Trust name (that matches the approve form) and the city and state where firearm is actually made.

The caliber is supposed to be on the frame, receiver, barrel or pistol slide (if applicable). If your barrel is marked and that marking is visible, you're fine. If not, just have the caliber on the form engraved on the lower when the rest is engraved.

I've had some of mine engraved in the same spot, and on others I engraved it between the pivot pin ears on the lower. Did it by hand with a dremel, it's visible if you look, and was free.

Thanks for the reply. The barrel does say 300 BLK on it so I'll engrave trust name and city/state. I may not always have the 300 blk upper on it but my understanding is as long as I can return it to that configuration that should be ok.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:18:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks for the reply. The barrel does say 300 BLK on it so I'll engrave trust name and city/state. I may not always have the 300 blk upper on it but my understanding is as long as I can return it to that configuration that should be ok.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do not need to be able to "return it to that configuration". You can change it to any other caliber/length you want. ATF "asks" to be notified of any permanent change, but it is not a requirement.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:49:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dumb question...isn't this on most lowers anyway? Or are we referring to the city/state that the owner resides in since it's a Form 1 weapon?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 1:27:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Dumb question...isn't this on most lowers anyway? Or are we referring to the city/state that the owner resides in since it's a Form 1 weapon?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The city/state where the manufacturer made the title 1 weapon is already there. When you file a form 1, you are the maker of the title 2 (NFA) weapon and your name, city/state needs to be there as well. Has nothing to do with the "owner" of the weapon.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:59:48 PM EDT
[#6]
For a Form 1 gun you must engrave the city/state where you MADE the gun.

Where were you standing the moment you assembled the gun into the configuration that brought it under the purview of the NFA34?

(iv) In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the manufacturer maintain your place of business, or where you, as the maker, made the firearm; and
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top