Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2015 8:57:00 PM EDT
Any issue with laminating your tax stamp paperwork? Thought it would prolong the life but figured I'd ask before I did it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I made copies of all of my tax stamps, had them laminated, and keep them under the foam of my hard rifle cases that are used to transport the items. I keep the originals in my safe (not laminated).

I don't know if it is advisable or not to laminate the originals though. I personally don't think it would be a problem.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 9:21:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I have thought about laminating mine.

I keep the originals in my safe, paper copies with my range bad and digital copies on my phone.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 9:26:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have thought about laminating mine.

I keep the originals in my safe, paper copies with my range bad and digital copies on my phone.
View Quote

I put mine in clear Avery sleeves and keep them in a 3 ring binder.  They don't get messed up, and I can easily make photocopies should I need to.  I doubt laminating would hurt them, unless something caused the laminate to start coming apart.  Not sure how something like that would hold up over the years.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 9:54:45 PM EDT
[#4]
i would definitely not laminate the original
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:22:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Just out of curiosity...what would be ones course of action if a stamp were lost, stolen, or destroyed?
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:24:10 PM EDT
[#6]
The Social Security office says not to laminate their cards.

I suspect the ATF would say the same for the same asinine reason. Whatever that might be!
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:42:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't laminate the originals.  Stick them in a binder inside of those archive grade plastic sleeves.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:30:47 PM EDT
[#8]
DO NOT EVER laminate an original form. Read tonyk's thoughts on this. Very bad idea.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:36:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Do not do it under any circumstances. Laminating it makes forensic examination and authentication impossible. If ever you were in a position where ATF had no record of your application and all you had was your laminated Form to prove your MG was legal, you would be in a serious legal fight.  I believe Tony K said this has actually happened before, though I never heard of it.

This is the same reason the SSA warns you not to laminate the SS card, they cannot authenticate the card.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:37:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 12:00:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Do not laminate. Keep in safe deposit box.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 12:56:10 AM EDT
[#12]
With today's technology, why bother ? I keep my originals in a safe deposit box. I have paper copies with each item, I also have PDF. Versions on my phone and iPad.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 1:18:44 AM EDT
[#13]
My orginals are a pdf.

I printed some out and put them in the safe.

I carry the PDFs on my phone.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 7:33:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Do not do it under any circumstances. Laminating it makes forensic examination and authentication impossible. If ever you were in a position where ATF had no record of your application and all you had was your laminated Form to prove your MG was legal, you would be in a serious legal fight.  I believe Tony K said this has actually happened before, though I never heard of it.

This is the same reason the SSA warns you not to laminate the SS card, they cannot authenticate the card.
View Quote

Not saying your wrong Just wondering with Today's technology why couldn't something between two pieces of plastic couldn't be authenticated?
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 7:38:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Ok thanks guys....so laminating isn't a good idea. I like the protective sleeve idea though.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 7:43:01 AM EDT
[#16]
all these dont laminate the original posts, are of course, assuming your form has the actual tax stamp. those of us who efiled can just print off another original
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 1:09:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not saying your wrong Just wondering with Today's technology why couldn't something between two pieces of plastic couldn't be authenticated?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because the plastic melts on to and into the paper. Removing the plastic will destroy the document.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 2:03:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Originals in the safe
color copies in 3 ring clear packets in a binder with other gun stuff
color copies in envelopes in glove box of cars
color copies in gun bags, plate carrier admin pouch, etc.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 3:01:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I laminated two I had...and now have certified copies of them in the sate with the other non-laminated originals
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#20]
FYI tax stamps can only be copied in black & white http://www.secretservice.gov/money_illustrations.shtml
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:10:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
FYI tax stamps can only be copied in black & white http://www.secretservice.gov/money_illustrations.shtml
View Quote

Aren't they considered cancelled Revenue stamps once they are applied to an approved form and the serial number of the item is written across the face of the stamp?
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:39:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Why don't you just get/use a food saver and toss it in a vacuum sealed food bag?  It will offer the same protection as lamination with the added benefit of being able to be opened and examined if necessary.  Just make sure you put a good bit of extra so you can drop the document all the way to the bottom seal and there is no risk of cutting the document when you cut the bag open.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Why don't you just keep some pictures of them on your phone?  Secure the originals, and go shooting...
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Reduced color copy, laminated - in the range bag

original, non-laminated - In the safe in a thermal bag (for fire protection).

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Same here, exactly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top