Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2015 8:12:58 PM EDT
I bought the gun used. Was geeked to see it had a stainless 11.3" Wilson Combat barrel.

Took the flash hider off, not geeked to see it doesn't have 5/8-24 threads.

I think these are 1/2-28 threads. It had an A2 type flash hider on it.

I am planning on running a 30 cal can on this, the Dead Air Sandman. I already have the muzzle device which is 5/8-24.

Should I get an adapter or look at getting the barrel recut?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Specs on their site say 5/8"x24 for that barrel. Do you have an extra 5.56 FH you could double check it with?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:41:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Specs on their site say 5/8"x24 for that barrel. Do you have an extra 5.56 FH you could double check it with?
View Quote
Check with a 1/2 inch wrench.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:58:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Could be 1/2x36.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:06:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm damn near certain my Wilson 300 is 5/8. I'll check it later if you need me to.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:55:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't have an extra A2 type flash hider.

I just put my calipers on the bare threads and it is showing .49" so I guess that's 1/2x.

The only thing I can figure is this barrel was cut down or perhaps Wilson made barrels with 1/2x threads before 5/8x.

I know I can get a 1/2-28 to 5/8-24 adapter or cut the barrel down. I hate to go with an adapter because, well, adapters are open to issues although I would rocksett it. I hate to cut it down as it has a real nice handguard on it that fits just right.

I'll probably stop by Silencer Shop tomorrow and talk with Capitol Armory and see what they think. I'm thinking the adapter route would be fine, just hate to have an adapter but I know guys do that.

Other option would be selling the barrel and buying the same thing, threaded "right".

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:37:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you shot it yet? ie. Are you sure it's a 300 barrel? .100 doesn't seem like a thick enough barrel wall.(even though the FH would add strength during firing but thin to even thread) You could mic the bore if you haven't shot it.

ETA. Can you post a pic of the muzzle?

ETA2 After a minute of searching I see 300 guys have been threading them 1/2" for a while. I also saw 9mm have been using 1/2" as well.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:54:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I've shot it.

It is marked 300 Blackout as well.

It is weird, I know. I didn't even think to check it when I bought it (used).

The barrel  near the threads is 0.74".

I think I'm just going to have it cut down to 9" and rethreaded to 5/8x24
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:11:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Could be 1/2x36.
View Quote

^^^^^^^^^
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:05:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Why not just get a 1/2x28 Sandman mount, and have it opened up to the correct caliber?  I'm sure it would be cheaper.

Bob S.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:06:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why not just get a 1/2x28 Sandman mount, and have it opened up to the correct caliber?  I'm sure it would be cheaper.

Bob S.
View Quote

I don't see that Dead Air currently makes these. Perhaps one from another company would work.

I called Wilson Combat, according to the guy I spoke with, they've never made these barrels with anything other than 5/8-24 threads. So apparently it was cut down/rethreaded.

I may go with the adapter option short term and eventually get it cut down and rethreaded. I was quoted $160 to have it cut/crowned and rethreaded. That seems high to me, but I never have had a gunsmith do any work, so I don't know.

Thanks for the help and advice.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:43:40 AM EDT
[#11]
that price would be high unless they are also taking the upper apart as well.

It almost sounds like someone cut it down and had it threaded to use with a 9mm can instead of a .30 or they had a .30 can they used with .223 hosts as well
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't see that Dead Air currently makes these. Perhaps one from another company would work.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bob S.

I'm not at my friends gun shop right now, but when I was looking at the Dead Air stuff from the distributor, I believe they had a 1/2x28 mount so people could put them on 5.56 AR's. I'd give them a call, they might even mod one for you.

Good luck,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:33:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm not at my friends gun shop right now, but when I was looking at the Dead Air stuff from the distributor, I believe they had a 1/2x28 mount so people could put them on 5.56 AR's. I'd give them a call, they might even mod one for you.

Good luck,
Bob S.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bob S.

Good luck,
Bob S.

Interesting option, thanks!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:37:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It almost sounds like someone cut it down and had it threaded to use with a 9mm can instead of a .30 or they had a .30 can they used with .223 hosts as well
View Quote

This sounds like exactly what happened.

Argh.

Now I'm curious if cutting it down would necessitate opening up the gas ports.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:50:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Good luck,
Bob S.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bob S.

Good luck,
Bob S.

Dead Air does make 1/2"x28 muzzle devices so their suppressors can be used on 5.56 rifles, although they don't currently offer a 5.56 can. You'd have to call them and ask whether or not the 5.56 device can be safely drilled out to accommodate 30 cal and if doing so would void the can's warranty if implemented in that way.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:42:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted: I was quoted $160 to have it cut/crowned and rethreaded. That seems high to me, but I never have had a gunsmith do any work, so I don't know.

Thanks for the help and advice.
View Quote

That price seems high to me too. Where in Texas are you located? If in the Houston area, I know a shop that will probably beat that price by quite a bit.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Argh.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Argh.

I would be worried if the threads are concentric to the bore if it was cut down and threaded.

It's a lot easier and cheaper to do it the wrong way.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:01:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Properly measured the barrel tonight. It doesn't look like any length was taken off of it. It measures right around 11.3"

I got to reading about having it cut down to 8", then I was reading I'd need to open up the gas ports.

Then I may need an adjustable gas block.

I'm definitely not interested in throwing good money after bad, so I might just cut my losses on this barrel, sell it and start over with an 8".

I'm not sure, 300 Blackout suppressed is a complicated world. I don't like complicated.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:34:34 AM EDT
[#19]
My first question would be "How does this barrel shoot?" - the Wilson might be a tack driver, and worth fussing with.

If you would really rather have a 8" barrel, then I would spend the money on a good quality barrel made to the right specs.

I'm running a Ballistic Advantage barrel on my 300 SBR, and it's a great barrel for the price. It comes with the correct gas port, and if you get their Premium "Hanson" barrel, it comes with a LoPro gas block properly pinned from the factory.

They also have a great reputation for accuracy.

Good luck,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I sent them an email today asking this. Will give them a call if I don't hear back soon.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:26:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My first question would be "How does this barrel shoot?" - the Wilson might be a tack driver, and worth fussing with.

If you would really rather have a 8" barrel, then I would spend the money on a good quality barrel made to the right specs.

I'm running a Ballistic Advantage barrel on my 300 SBR, and it's a great barrel for the price. It comes with the correct gas port, and if you get their Premium "Hanson" barrel, it comes with a LoPro gas block properly pinned from the factory.

They also have a great reputation for accuracy.

Good luck,
Bob S.
View Quote

Thanks for the links. I'll check out their barrels.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top