Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2015 9:30:04 PM EDT
Legal question, can I simply purchase a AR15 pistol, submit my proper NFA paperwork and once approved, stick a stock on the pistol and it be my SBR? I understand the lower receiver will need to be engraved with my Trust info.
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 9:34:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep that would be the correct process.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 1:40:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep. Just that simple.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 5:30:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, thought it was that simple.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Not only is it that simple, but you can later change the configuration back to a pistol or to a long barreled rifle and later back to a SBR at your pleasure.  Similarly, you can change the caliber and/or barrel length at any time.  Although the ATF requests that you notify them of configuration changes, there is no law or rule saying that you have to notify the ATF.  

While the AR is in either the Pistol or Rifle configuration it is not subject to the NFA rules and can be transported across state lines without getting prior permission.  This is useful when you want to hunt or shoot in a state that does not allow SBRs.  Be certain that you follow the rules of whatever state you are in and also don't reconfigure it to a SBR in another state unless you have an approved Form 20.  When changing calibers, I believe the correct caliber should be marked on the barrel, upper receiver, or lower receiver so that it can be clearly seen.  I am not 100% certain that is a legal requirement, but seems reasonable and is easy.

You may even sell your AR without any transfer tax if it is not in the SBR configuration.  I would consider that a waste of a $200 tax, but it is permissible.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 10:40:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not only is it that simple, but you can later change the configuration back to a pistol or to a long barreled rifle and later back to a SBR at your pleasure.  Similarly, you can change the caliber and/or barrel length at any time.  Although the ATF requests that you notify them of configuration changes, there is no law or rule saying that you have to notify the ATF.  

While the AR is in either the Pistol or Rifle configuration it is not subject to the NFA rules and can be transported across state lines without getting prior permission.  This is useful when you want to hunt or shoot in a state that does not allow SBRs.  Be certain that you follow the rules of whatever state you are in and also don't reconfigure it to a SBR in another state unless you have an approved Form 20.  When changing calibers, I believe the correct caliber should be marked on the barrel, upper receiver, or lower receiver so that it can be clearly seen.  I am not 100% certain that is a legal requirement, but seems reasonable and is easy.

You may even sell your AR without any transfer tax if it is not in the SBR configuration.  I would consider that a waste of a $200 tax, but it is permissible.
View Quote
I'm pretty certain that you can't go back to a pistol, it will just be a SBR without the stock.

The form 1 is an application to make a firearm. It doesn't matter what you make it from, the result is a new firearm. Because this new firearm did not start life as a pistol (it's life begins when it is made to the specs listed on the form 1) it cannot be turned into one. In the case of a SBR it will always be a shoulder fired weapon even if removed from the registry.

Of course I could be wrong, it's happened before

But this has always been my understanding in the near 40 years of playing with these things.

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:19:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Agree with inexile.  It can be converted to a Title I rifle and back to an SBR, but not back to a pistol.  

ATF has said you may go from Title I pistol > Title I rifle > Title I pistol.

They've also said you can from Title II SBR > Title I rifle.  

They've never said you can go from Title II SBR > Title I handgun.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:07:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Agree with inexile.  It can be converted to a Title I rifle and back to an SBR, but not back to a pistol.  

View Quote

An SBR is only an SBR if it is in such configuration the ATF has stated if a firearm is not in NFA configuration, then it is no longer under their purview. If it no longer has a stock, and assuming it started life as a pistol, it can go back to being a pistol and then will just be an engraved pistol with your trust info on it.

Perfect example would be a Glock handgun in a Roni chassis.  It's an SBR when it is in the chassis and a regular title I handgun when removed.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:34:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:49:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
An SBR is only an SBR if it is in such configuration the ATF has stated if a firearm is not in NFA configuration, then it is no longer under their purview. If it no longer has a stock, and assuming it started life as a pistol, it can go back to being a pistol and then will just be an engraved pistol with your trust info on it.

Perfect example would be a Glock handgun in a Roni chassis.  It's an SBR when it is in the chassis and a regular title I handgun when removed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not under ATF purview but still in the registry. In the case of the Roni the Glock must have a stamp, it is "made" via form1 into a shoulder fired weapon as apposed to converted as in the case of a title 1 pistol to a title 1 rifle.. Removing it from the chassis does not remove it from the purview of the ATF as long as you maintain control of the Roni chassis, the Glock is still a SBR even when it is not actually in the chassis.

While this addresses barrels specifically, it is addressing removing a title 2 firearm from ATF purview so it is relevent in the Glock/Roni situation also.

Q: Does the installation of a barrel over 16 inches in length
(SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS) remove the firearm from the purview
of the NFA? If so, is this considered a permanent change?

Installation of a barrel greater than 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18
inches in length (SBS) will remove the firearm from the purview of the
NFA provided the registrant does not maintain control over the parts
necessary to reconfigure the firearm as a SBR or SBS.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:33:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not under ATF purview but still in the registry. In the case of the Roni the Glock must have a stamp, it is "made" via form1 into a shoulder fired weapon as apposed to converted as in the case of a title 1 pistol to a title 1 rifle.. Removing it from the chassis does not remove it from the purview of the ATF as long as you maintain control of the Roni chassis, the Glock is still a SBR even when it is not actually in the chassis.

While this addresses barrels specifically, it is addressing removing a title 2 firearm from ATF purview so it is relevent in the Glock/Roni situation also.

Q: Does the installation of a barrel over 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS) remove the firearm from the purview of the NFA? If so, is this considered a permanent change?

Installation of a barrel greater than 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS) will remove the firearm from the purview of the NFA provided the registrant does not maintain control over the parts necessary to reconfigure the firearm as a SBR or SBS.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Q: Does the installation of a barrel over 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS) remove the firearm from the purview of the NFA? If so, is this considered a permanent change?

Installation of a barrel greater than 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS) will remove the firearm from the purview of the NFA provided the registrant does not maintain control over the parts necessary to reconfigure the firearm as a SBR or SBS.

This is out of date and not consistent with Case Law.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Reference? ATF 2011-4 and/or Thompson v US does not deal with title II firearms.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:39:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Reference? ATF 2011-4 and/or Thompson v US does not deal with title II firearms.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not under ATF purview but still in the registry. In the case of the Roni the Glock must have a stamp, it is "made" via form1 into a shoulder fired weapon as apposed to converted as in the case of a title 1 pistol to a title 1 rifle.. Removing it from the chassis does not remove it from the purview of the ATF as long as you maintLain control of the Roni chassis, the Glock is still a SBR even when it is not actually in the chassis.

If it is not in a SBR configuration it is NOT a Title II firearm. Period. Full stop. Even if the SN is in the registry. The ATF FAQ is very clear on this point. The T/C case applies. You are trying to make a simple thing difficult.

Edit to add:  And since when was the T/C case not about a SBR?  That is PRECISELY what it was about, the ATF was trying to say a rifle kit and a pistol kit that shared components could ONLY be a NFA item. They were wrong.  Same logic applies to the MBR / AR platform.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:47:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

If it is not in a SBR configuration it is NOT a Title II firearm. Period. Full stop. Even if the SN is in the registry. The ATF FAQ is very clear on this point. The T/C case applies. You are trying to make a simple thing difficult.

Edit to add:  And since when was the T/C case not about a SBR?  That is PRECISELY what it was about, the ATF was trying to say a rifle kit and a pistol kit that shared components could ONLY be a NFA item. They were wrong.  Same logic applies to the MBR / AR platform.

View Quote
I'm simply asking you for a reference. You can't say the FAQ I posted, directly from the ATF web site, is out of date and then say the ATF FAQ is very clear on this point.

Please show me where it says a SBR, or any title II firearm, can be reconfigured into a legally defined pistol.

If you can't supply a reference then it is simply your opinion.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:55:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Please show me where it says a SBR, or any title II firearm, can be reconfigured into a legally defined pistol.

View Quote

Read the opinion of the case you claim has nothing to do with NFA firearms.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Please read it yourself and point out where it says a title II firearm can be converted to a title I pistol.

It doesn't and neither does AFT 2011-4. Both deal exclusively with title I to title I conversions, provided they never are assembled as a title II firearm.

I'll just ask the ATF for clarification. The internet is full of conflicting answers so it does no good to debate it here.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top