Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2015 1:23:33 AM EDT
So I have just placed a order for the CMT Monolithic Lower with PDW Stock and will build it into a SBR. I have a few questions about the process as I have never purchased/built a NFA firearm before.

First of all I am going the gun trust method. OK in Colorado.

1) Do I need to have the lower in hand to file the form 1. - I know I need to submit the dimensions on the form 1 , do I need to know the original serial number the factory assigned to the lower? Or will I only be asked for the "new" serial number I assign to the lower with the name of my trust.

- I am asking these questions because I purchased the lower on layaway. Since it will be a while before I get the tax stamp I am trying to determine what the most efficient use of my money is.   Ultimately I would like to set up the trust and file for the tax stamp before I am in physical possession of the lower. Is this possible?

2) Is it true that once I get the stamp: Lower is registered as a SBR,  I am able to change the configuration from the specifications it was registered originally?  To explain, for example on my form 1 the SBR is registered with a 10" 5.56 upper.  Six months later I get a 8" 300blk Upper and attach it to my SBR lower, is that legal to do?  To change the configuration to a shorter barrel in a different caliber?  Would I need to hold on to the upper I used when I originally registered the SBR,  or would I be allowed to sell it?
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 6:21:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I have just placed a order for the CMT Monolithic Lower with PDW Stock and will build it into a SBR. I have a few questions about the process as I have never purchased/built a NFA firearm before.

First of all I am going the gun trust method. OK in Colorado.

1) Do I need to have the lower in hand to file the form 1. - I know I need to submit the dimensions on the form 1 , do I need to know the original serial number the factory assigned to the lower? Or will I only be asked for the "new" serial number I assign to the lower with the name of my trust.

- I am asking these questions because I purchased the lower on layaway. Since it will be a while before I get the tax stamp I am trying to determine what the most efficient use of my money is.   Ultimately I would like to set up the trust and file for the tax stamp before I am in physical possession of the lower. Is this possible?

2) Is it true that once I get the stamp: Lower is registered as a SBR,  I am able to change the configuration from the specifications it was registered originally?  To explain, for example on my form 1 the SBR is registered with a 10" 5.56 upper.  Six months later I get a 8" 300blk Upper and attach it to my SBR lower, is that legal to do?  To change the configuration to a shorter barrel in a different caliber?  Would I need to hold on to the upper I used when I originally registered the SBR,  or would I be allowed to sell it?
View Quote

CMT makes some awesome products.

1) you will need the serial number that cmt puts on the lower along with the model number they stamp on it. On a side note CMT did an awesome job engraving my SBR from them. You might want to look into getting it engraved before you pick it up.
2) once you have the stamp you can change the configuration including caliber to your hearts desire. And no you don't have to keep the original upper.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 7:23:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Instruction 2i of the Form 1 tells you to use the original manufacturer serial number if an existing firearm is being modified into an NFA weapon.  I don't think you necessarily need to have it in your possession  file, but you do need the serial number (and if you're buying a gun on lay-away, the serial should be on your receipt).

I encourage you to download a blank Form 1 and read all the included instructions.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 1:04:25 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the help guys.  I am sure I will have a few more questions as the process moves along.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Instruction 2i of the Form 1 tells you to use the original manufacturer serial number if an existing firearm is being modified into an NFA weapon.  I don't think you necessarily need to have it in your possession  file, but you do need the serial number (and if you're buying a gun on lay-away, the serial should be on your receipt).

I encourage you to download a blank Form 1 and read all the included instructions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks for the tips guys.  I reviewed a form 1.  The thing that is slightly confusing to me is:

AFT form 1
Rule 2.i
"Serial Numbers and other Markings. If an existing firearm is being modified into an NFA firearm, enter the existing serial number of the firearm into item 4g and the name and address of the original manufacturer into item 4a. Do not Alter or Modify the Existing Serial Number . If the NFA firearm is being made from parts, your name and address are to be entered into 4a and a serial number you create is to be entered into item 4g."

Question: Even thought I am assembling the rifle from parts, the lower qualifies as an "existing firearm" ?  And thus I use the serial number supplied by the original manufacturer of the lower?

The second question I have is, due to the fact that I am registering the SBR to a trust.  I will need to engrave the: Name of my trust, City, and State on the firearm (lower).  I dont know if I have overlooked this, but I dont see any rules stating that I must do so on the form 1.  Is that Information in a different form?  What am I missing?  
(I read the from 1 off my phone so its possible I overlooked it, in which case I apologize for the oversight.

Thanks for your help and patience.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:20:58 PM EDT
[#5]
The requirement to engrave the maker's information (and you're applying for permission to make an NFA firearm) is nor found on the Form 1, but in the ATF regulations, specifically 27 CFR 479.102.  You'll need to engrave the name of the trust, and the city and state where it was (will be) assembled.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:30:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top