Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2015 1:47:44 PM EDT
I submitted a form 1 to make an SBR. I specified the barrel length as 11.5, since I assumed 10.5 would not work with the 10'' rail I got on clearance. I have also purchased a Silencerco Specwar K that will primarily be used on this SBR, and will occasionally be used on my 16'' carbine.

In the picture thread, another user with a nearly identical carbine was able to make the 10.5'' barrel, specwar and 10'' DD rail combo work. I know about the velocity differences between the two barrel lengths with xm193, but am wondering about things like suppressor wear and tear and whether or not the increased blast will make it louder. Either way, I'm going to be cutting down a 14.5'' pinned M4 barrel.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 2:06:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think you will have an issue with the specwar k suppressor. However, I would of probably went with just the specwar 556. If it makes you feel better "SilencerCo tested the K versions on 11 inch, 14.5 inch and 16 inch 5.56mm barrels with 62 grain M855 ball ammunition with a range of results from 137 to 140 dB."
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 3:19:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Since you're cutting down a 14.5" barrel, make it 11.0" and tell everyone to suck it.

I like 10.5" because it keeps the suppressor closer to you than an 11.5" barrel, making it feel lighter. But you should do what works with the rail you've selected.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't think you will have an issue with the specwar k suppressor. However, I would of probably went with just the specwar 556. If it makes you feel better "SilencerCo tested the K versions on 11 inch, 14.5 inch and 16 inch 5.56mm barrels with 62 grain M855 ball ammunition with a range of results from 137 to 140 dB."
View Quote
I wanted something to take the edge off of a compact SBR, that would still be light enough and short enough to work on a 16'' barrel carbine. I have no illusions about making 556 "hearing safe."

ETA: I was lucky enough to see a picture of a carbine with identical components in the pic thread. Same suppressor, same rail, with a 10.5'' barrel. So, it is just barely possible to go with 10.5''. If I want to go super short, I may go 10.75'' just to be sure.

Link Posted: 6/15/2015 8:42:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd go with 10.5" since it looks like it will fit with the components you're going to use. I have a 556 Specwar K in NFA jail that I'm anxiously awaiting to be released. I went with the K over the regular 556 for weight savings. It's going to go on my 10.5" upper also. I put my 762 Specwar on my 10.5" upper this weekend and shot a couple of mags of XM193. Sounded like a high velocity .22 rimfire. I used the muzzle break to reduce some of the wear on the can. I don't think you have anything to worry about going as short as 10.5".
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 6:51:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'd go with 10.5" since it looks like it will fit with the components you're going to use. I have a 556 Specwar K in NFA jail that I'm anxiously awaiting to be released. I went with the K over the regular 556 for weight savings. It's going to go on my 10.5" upper also. I put my 762 Specwar on my 10.5" upper this weekend and shot a couple of mags of XM193. Sounded like a high velocity .22 rimfire. I used the muzzle break to reduce some of the wear on the can. I don't think you have anything to worry about going as short as 10.5".
View Quote

I don't know; in the picture he posted above that is to close for comfort for me. 5.56 suppressors get REALLY hot. I would not want it that close to the rail.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 8:06:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Looking at that pic I'd like to have an extra 1/4" or so clearance. Since you're having something cut down I'd go 10.75" or 11" to be safe.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:51:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm also considering having the flash hider removed and saving the barrel for use as a plinker in the future. If I do that, I'm leaning towards either a Bravo Company or Daniel Defense. I have most of the parts necessary to make a traditional M4 clone anyway.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 8:09:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't know; in the picture he posted above that is to close for comfort for me. 5.56 suppressors get REALLY hot. I would not want it that close to the rail.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes they do!
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:34:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I IMed the guy who's build is pictured. He said he did not use a shim kit. He screwed the flash hider straight on. I intend to use a shim kit that should gain me a bit over 2mm of clearance. I may spring for the 10.5.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top