Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2015 2:41:51 PM EDT
I have a Trust and have purchased two suppressors and currently awaiting the form 4's to be processed and receive my Stamp Taxes for them.

I have no experience with what to do for a SBR build.  Do I need to file a form 1 online and once that is approved have my FFL file a form 4 to get the tax stamp or am I completely wrong?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#1]
You would file a form 1 and once approved build the gun. You are the manufacturer hence the form 1.

Form 4 is for already built nfa item transfers. Such as a factory sbr.

Read the FAQ about engraving and how to fill out an eform.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You would file a form 1 and once approved build the gun. You are the manufacturer hence the form 1.

View Quote

So...if I register a stripped lower on a form 1 and then build a SBR (purchase a complete upper), I do not need a Tax Stamp for it?  Or does the form 1 produce the Tax Stamp?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#3]
The approved Form 1 has the tax stamp on it.  You use a Form 4 to transfer an existing NFA firearm, and a Form 1 to make a new one.  By registering your lower as an SBR, you are "making" (not "manufacturing") an NFA firearm, hence you will use a Form 1.  You will need to prepare the Form 1 for a specific configuration (caliber, barrel length, overall length (with stock extended), etc.), and build it initially in that configuration.  You can then freely change uppers to whatever other caliber and/or barrel length (longer or shorter than specified on the Form 1) you wish.

You'll also need to engrave the lower with your trust name and the city/state where you're going to assemble it, before you assemble it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So...if I register a stripped lower on a form 1 and then build a SBR (purchase a complete upper), I do not need a Tax Stamp for it?  Or does the form 1 produce the Tax Stamp?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Form 1 produces the tax stamp. A form 1 gives you the right to manufacture an nfa item.

If you efile once approved you will receive the stamp in a pdf form.

You also have to engrave the lower.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:04:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Look at the FAQ for the answer.

Form 1 is sent in with your $200 for the stamp.  A few months later you get approval with the stamp you paid for. Engrave the lower.  Then build your SBR (put a short barrel on it)
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The approved Form 1 has the tax stamp on it.  You use a Form 4 to transfer an existing NFA firearm, and a Form 1 to make a new one.  By registering your lower as an SBR, you are "making" (not "manufacturing") an NFA firearm, hence you will use a Form 1.  You will need to prepare the Form 1 for a specific configuration (caliber, barrel length, overall length (with stock extended), etc.), and build it initially in that configuration.  You can then freely change uppers to whatever other caliber and/or barrel length (longer or shorter than specified on the Form 1) you wish.

You'll also need to engrave the lower with your trust name and the city/state where you're going to assemble it, before you assemble it.
View Quote

Excellent....and by the term "build" above I am assuming a purchased complete upper qualifies....yes?

As for the engraving....must this be done professionally or will a dremel do as long as it is very legible?  Now....I don't believe I would go the dremel route because I cant even write so that I can even read it....but just curious.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:09:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Excellent....and by the term "build" above I am assuming a purchased complete upper qualifies....yes?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes doesn't matter if you buy the upper complete or piece it together. This has nothing to do with the legal process.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:10:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes doesn't matter if you buy the upper complete or piece it together. This has nothing to do with the legal process.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great....thanx for the excellent information guys.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:13:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. In the mean time you can configure as a pistol with a pistol buffer tube while you wait for your form to come back with the stamp. I like doing it this way because you can go between a pistol, and a rifle or SBR if it was constructed as a pistol first. If you intend on taking it out of state  this reduces hassle if you reconfigure it as a pistol.. Taking a SBR out of state requires another form, but a pistol does not. Having it as a pistol first also helps with determining your length you will need to put on your form.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:15:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I would also suggest getting your lower engraved before you file. Reason is if the engraving information gets messed up or lower gets lost in shipping.
It would suck to have a lost receiver or ugly engraving on a nfa item.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:25:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yes. In the mean time you can configure as a pistol with a pistol buffer tube while you wait for your form to come back with the stamp. I like doing it this way because you can go between a pistol, and a rifle or SBR if it was constructed as a pistol first. If you intend on taking it out of state  this reduces hassle if you reconfigure it as a pistol.. Taking a SBR out of state requires another form, but a pistol does not. Having it as a pistol first also helps with determining your length you will need to put on your form.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So...if I configure as a pistol while waiting for the form 1 to be approved, I can take it to the range and shoot?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:25:45 PM EDT
[#12]
What is everyone's favorite brand of lower for turning into a registered SBR?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:28:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine is on a spikes because that's what I had laying around.
I personally don't see the need for spending extra on billet.
Don't get me wrong there are some awesome looking billet lowers.
So any forged with a roll mark I don't hate is fine by me.

If I could pick anything without coat being involved.
Mine would be either Mega, Larue 2A armament or AXTS
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine will be on a pre ban since I live in CT.  Either a Eagle Arms or Essential Arms most likely.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So...if I configure as a pistol while waiting for the form 1 to be approved, I can take it to the range and shoot?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, as a pistol it is not a controlled firearm.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Mine will be on a pre ban since I live in CT.  Either a Eagle Arms or Essential Arms most likely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Explain nfa law in conn to me.
Can you only sbr a pre ban?
Does the pre ban have paperwork showing its pre ban?
Just curious as to how it works.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Form 1 produces the tax stamp. A form 1 gives you the right to manufacture an nfa item.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are a "maker", not a "manufacturer". There is a difference. A maker is unlicensed and files a Form 1 and cannot make the SBR until the Form 1 is approved. A manufacturer is licensed and files a Form 2 notifying ATF that the SBR has been made (no approval necessary).
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:53:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You are a "maker", not a "manufacturer". There is a difference. A maker is unlicensed and files a Form 1 and cannot make the SBR until the Form 1 is approved. A manufacturer is licensed and files a Form 2 notifying ATF that the SBR has been made (no approval necessary).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I meant to put make. I know the atf separates these two words even though they are synonyms. Didn't mean for it to be worded that way.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

CMT tactical billet lower.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top