Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2015 2:18:38 AM EDT
Just thought I would post a few pics of my "Ranch Hand" SBR project for those who might
be interested.  Turned out to be a handy little rifle, and very quiet with .38's.

Below- with the full-size Rossi 92 stock & aftermarket sight rail/red dot.

Below - some detail of how the barrel was threaded (blued the extender myself).

Below - with a couple of suppressor options.  The Ti-Rant 9S balances a bit better, although the Mystic is quieter.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:33:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:02:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Awesome, I've always wanted to do this.
Does a normal Rossi stock fit it?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:04:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Neatest rifle I have seen in a while. Awesome job.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:31:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Well that right there is really cool.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I love it.  I can't wait for my form 1 to come back to I can get mine together. I hope to have my paperwork back by the end of June  I really like the looks with the Ti-Rant s.   So where did you pick up the stock from?  Was it a take off from a full size rossi 92?  How do you like the fast fire?  Thanks for posting the picts.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:45:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Doesnt some gun that looks like this not require a stamp but has a stock? Or perhaps a mini stock
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice job.  Looks familiar.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:32:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome. Looks like a lot of fun op.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Where did you get that stock? I heard Rossi wouldn't sell the stock separate. What rail is that?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the interest / positive comments.

To answer a few questions--

Stock:  The regular (full size) Rossi 92 stock will work; very simple to exchange (once your
Form 1 is approved, of course)-- just remove 1 screw and put it on.
Do not know if you can get one from Rossi, got mine from Boyds--
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ProductDetail/3y0571515117_rossi-92-stk-w-f

Rail / Scope mount:  you need some sort of accessory sight to see over the suppressor
(and I even tried an Osprey).  Given this, a Red dot seemed to make the most sense.  Here's the rail
I purchased--   http://www.mod94scoperail.com/purchase.html

...and took about 20 minutes to put on; seems pretty steady so far.  Also, you can use the rail as a
rear sight if you want to take the scope/suppressor off for some reason, and shoot more "traditional".

Sight:  As far as an optic goes, I think "small, lean, and light" makes the most sense for what I want to do
with this; and since I have a number of options around (on other guns), decided to just try those first.   A
SPARC was a little too large for my taste, though something like an Aimpoint Micro T1 would probably be
OK.  Right now, like the Burris FastFire the best of what I've tried.  

If you were going to actually try to hunt with this (say hot .357 Mag loads for small/mid-size deer), a scout type
scope might be worth looking at.  

Barrel Threading:  the most technically difficult part of the whole project, but "Class 3 Machining" has done
quite a few--  http://class3machining.com/

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:11:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Man that is great looking rifle

I just picked up my tirant 9 ( finally ) and would love a rifle to use it on - I gotta say your rifle has me thinking
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:15:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Sick.

I need to do this.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:51:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Is that drilled/tapped for receiver sights?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:38:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Doesnt some gun that looks like this not require a stamp but has a stock? Or perhaps a mini stock
View Quote

Yes, its the Rossi Ranch Hand pistol that this rifle was Form 1'd off of.

Great looking rifle. I'm looking at this as my next SBR. Thanks for all the helpful links.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:55:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks shadowdoc for the info.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:59:45 AM EDT
[#16]
You sold a bunch of 77/357s in your suppressed Ruger thread. I see a few Ranch Hand sales coming out of this thread.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:54:37 AM EDT
[#17]
That's really cool OP.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:55:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Very nice work!
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:58:25 PM EDT
[#19]
That thing is sweet hopefully my stamp will be back by the end of the summer  but mine will be a wee bit different than yours I just sent mine off to Morgan Friday to get it chopped down to about 7.5" and threaded and such. After that it's off to get engraved and then a cerakote job. I'm also going to reshape my lever so it's not so obnoxious IMO along with some custom leather (cheek riser, shell holder, special sling)

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what was your turn around time?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:58:33 AM EDT
[#20]
You sold a bunch of 77/357s in your suppressed Ruger thread. I see a few Ranch Hand sales coming out of this thread
View Quote

You know, I started that 77/357 thread in October '14, and it was still active as of a couple of weeks ago... never
would have thought it would have that kind of staying power... LoL.

Since it's been brought up, I'll throw out my personal thoughts comparing the two platforms (given I now have both)--

Ruger 77/357
- As I have set up, better IMO for any "real" hunting than the Rossi:  longer barrel, higher velocity, variable power scope
- Choosing the 77/357 over a similar size bolt gun in a true rifle caliber (say, .243) makes the most sense if you want
to suppress well (subsonic loads), but still maintain decent knock down power.  Or...
- If you want to hunt with the same caliber as your handgun

Rossi "Ranch Hand" SBR
- It's more compact, and IMO a better "pack gun".  Even if I SBR'd my 77/357 (as some do), the Ruger will still be wider
than the Rossi.  Someone mentioned changing the large-loop lever, and I *think* the standard Rossi 92 lever will fit.
- More fun IMO for short/mid range plinking & range use.  I can work the lever faster than the bolt, and the magazine
capacity is slightly greater
- not as good at longer ranges-- I prefer a "standard" scope rather than a scout type for distance shooting... but that's
just me.

>> Either of these platforms can be had in .44 mag, for those who want even heavier, harder-hitting
loads.  (but in my experience .44/.45 never suppresses as well as the smaller caliber).

YMMV.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 1:26:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Have you had any reliability issues whatsoever with either one?

Marlin 1894 lever actions apparently work great in .44 magnum and have had a lot of issues in .357. I always wanted a silenced .357 lever action, but gave up on that dream. The 77/357 has my eye...although I have an Octane .45, so maybe I should revisit a silenced .44 special SBR.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:18:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Great points.

I think 38/357Mag is a great cartridge choice based on cost, availability, suppression and handgun interchangeability. And fun.

For me, since I shoot a lot of wadcutters, I need the ability to load rounds directly into the chamber.

But I still want a lever action SBR.

Maybe a 45-70 Guide Gun SBR with a Form 1 Ti can... Someday.

Great threads.

Quoted:

You know, I started that 77/357 thread in October '14, and it was still active as of a couple of weeks ago... never

Since it's been brought up, I'll throw out my personal thoughts comparing the two platforms (given I now have both)--

http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh603/shadowman41/Ranch%20Hand%2006_zpsys4nqqrg.jpg

Ruger 77/357
- As I have set up, better IMO for any "real" hunting than the Rossi:  longer barrel, higher velocity, variable power scope
- Choosing the 77/357 over a similar size bolt gun in a true rifle caliber (say, .243) makes the most sense if you want
to suppress well (subsonic loads), but still maintain decent knock down power.  Or...

Rossi "Ranch Hand" SBR
- It's more compact, and IMO a better "pack gun".  Even if I SBR'd my 77/357 (as some do), the Ruger will still be wider
than the Rossi.  Someone mentioned changing the large-loop lever, and I *think* the standard Rossi 92 lever will fit.
- More fun IMO for short/mid range plinking & range use.  I can work the lever faster than the bolt, and the magazine
- not as good at longer ranges-- I prefer a "standard" scope rather than a scout type for distance shooting... but that's
just me.

>> Either of these platforms can be had in .44 mag, for those who want even heavier, harder-hitting
loads.  (but in my experience .44/.45 never suppresses as well as the smaller caliber).

YMMV.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
You sold a bunch of 77/357s in your suppressed Ruger thread. I see a few Ranch Hand sales coming out of this thread

http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh603/shadowman41/Ranch%20Hand%2006_zpsys4nqqrg.jpg

Ruger 77/357

Rossi "Ranch Hand" SBR
just me.

YMMV.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 3:26:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I want that.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Have you had any reliability issues whatsoever with either one?
View Quote

I have a RH SBR in .44 set up exactly as the OP.  I've had no reliability problems using both mag and SPL ammo.  Mine runs like a top, fwiw.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow, that has made my day and a potential new project.  Looks great.  And runs fine with 9mm suppressors.  I know 9mm is nominally .355 and 38/357 is .357, but no issues.  I mention because I have a 9mm suppressor from BRP that I got with the STG I have since sold.  It is labeled BRP and not one of the "brand names".  Would have to check but pretty sure it is threaded 1/2X28.  I use it on my 9mm SBR.

Never mind, just checked and the baffles are .399.  If I had a brain I would have realized the bore of the baffles cannot be that close!
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:41:53 AM EDT
[#26]
I dig it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:18:23 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm sure you have seen this, but...

Hickok45 Rossi SBR

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:31:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Well, I had just talked myself "off the ledge" on this exact build.  And then you go posting this gorgeous piece.  I now will be back at the gun store this weekend, hopefully not starting a new project.

It's beautiful.  

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:30:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Im assuming this gun was imported as a pistol and is now converted to a rifle. How are you meeting 922r requirements regarding imported parts content?

Edit: never mind I looked at 922r again and it only applies to semi-auto rifles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top