Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2015 10:47:08 AM EDT
I currently have an Arsenal ALR-105R rifle that I eventually want to SBR.

Now, unlike an AR Form 1 where I can just slap the lower on a <16" upper, I have to be the individual that actually cuts the barrel in order for the Form 1 to be legally correct, right?

In other words, I can't get my stamp back, send it to Rifle Dynamics or someone else, and have them cut the barrel down to 11"?
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone can cut it...you are creating the firearm as the NFA weapon. NFA weapons can be 16", 18", or 26"...
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:08:47 AM EDT
[#2]
The only way you can legally have someone else cut the barrel is if the barrel is removed from the receiver.  Since AK barrels are pressed and pinned to the receiver this is quite difficult whitout the proper tooling.  The instant it is cut less than 16" while attached to the receiver, an NFA firearm is created.  You can send the rifle to an SOT and have them "make" the SBR and transfer it to you on a Form 4.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:15:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only way you can legally have someone else cut the barrel is if the barrel is removed from the receiver.  Since AK barrels are pressed and pinned to the receiver this is quite difficult whitout the proper tooling.  The instant it is cut less than 16" while attached to the receiver, an NFA firearm is created.  You can send the rifle to an SOT and have them "make" the SBR and transfer it to you on a Form 4.
View Quote

Ah, that's brilliant! I hadn't thought about doing that.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:41:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Hopefully BurtSaun1049 doesn't mind this bit of piggybacking, but I thought I would ask/propose a theoretical solution.  If not, let me know and I'll remove this post and start a new thread.  I'm in the same boat and have an SLR-107UR I'm interested in turning into an SBR.

Would it be possible to do the following to enable a Form 1 designation (thereby being eFile-able)?:

1. eFile a Form 1 and receive a stamp.
2. Cut the barrel down close to the area needing cleaned up and threaded, thereby manufacturing it into an SBR.
3. Mail it to appropriate smith/shop. (Edited Per Banger - See Below)
4. Have smith/shop thread barrel, install FH, whatnot.
5. Mail back.
6. ???
7. Profit.

I suspect the issue may be in the barrel length being variable.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?  Or am I just bored at work and thinking of good ways to end up in Club Fed?

Cheers,

Spenny

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hopefully BurtSaun1049 doesn't mind this bit of piggybacking, but I thought I would ask/propose a theoretical solution.  If not, let me know and I'll remove this post and start a new thread.  I'm in the same boat and have an SLR-107UR I'm interested in turning into an SBR.

Would it be possible to do the following to enable a Form 1 designation (thereby being eFile-able)?:

1. eFile and receive a Form 1.
2. Cut the barrel down close to the area needing cleaned up and threaded, thereby manufacturing it into an SBR.
3. Have FFL mail it to appropriate smith/shop.
4. Have smith/shop thread barrel, install FH, whatnot.
5. Mail back.
6. ???
7. Profit.

I suspect the issue may be in the barrel length being variable.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?  Or am I just bored at work and thinking of good ways to end up in Club Fed?

Cheers,

Spenny

View Quote

No, this is actually what I was originally planning on doing but wasn't sure about it. Good post.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:57:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Spenny08EU, you can send the SBR to a licensed Gunsmith or SOT for "repair."  You will have to file a Form 5 and get approval before sending it. The Gunsmith will file a Form 5 to send it back to you.  This way you will avoid additional transfers and taxes.

BATFE is not overly concerned with the exact barrel length.  It is either longer than 16" or shorter than 16" you can cut the barrel 1/16" longer and have the SOT trim it to the Form 1 length.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Spenny08EU, you can send the SBR to a licensed Gunsmith or SOT for "repair."  You will have to file a Form 5 and get approval before sending it. The Gunsmith will file a Form 5 to send it back to you.  This way you will avoid additional transfers and taxes.

BATFE is not overly concerned with the exact barrel length.  It is either longer than 16" or shorter than 16" you can cut the barrel 1/16" longer and have the SOT trim it to the Form 1 length.

View Quote

A Form 5 for temporary transfer to a gunsmith is unnecessary, certainly not required.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:22:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A Form 5 for temporary transfer to a gunsmith is unnecessary, certainly not required.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So in this case, OP/myself/anyone interested could succeed in their pursuit via the step-by-step process I posited?

If So, that's pretty great news.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:22:31 AM EDT
[#9]
yes, but you would send it directly to the smith, they would send it directly back to you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top