Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2015 10:42:59 AM EDT
I am in the process of SBRing my LaRue lower, and I'm trying to get the trust markings to match the manufacturer's markings.

This is a brief description of what I'm going for:

I already PMed CS223 on it, and it looks like he'd have to buy additional tooling to do something to these speculations.

Does anyone know of a CNC engraving service that can do something like this?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:12:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:17:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Email/IM Mark_Larue? I bet he would get it done for you.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#3]
i had mine done at a local fast-fix watch/jewelry repair shop.  he did a great job, 2 separate times.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:19:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not open to having it laser engraved to the proper font size instead?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If it can be cut to that depth, and have the profile of the end mill pictured, then absolutely.  

Quoted:

When I started this project, I asked Mark if he could sell me a factory SBR lower.  He said something to the effect of "Hell yeah", but sadly, due to the intricate nature of the NFA restrictions on manufacturers, they can't sell a stripped SBR lower.  It would have to be sold as a complete rifle.  Or at least that's the answer that came from the LaRue Tactical compliance department.

I think I will try to find my own solution before I go bugging him again.  Besides, I'm pretty sure the topic of custom engraving on lowers came up before in the LaRue forum and it got shot down...  could be wrong on that though.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 2:28:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 2:55:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I do laser engraving, and can send you pictures of our work.....but let through this option out there for you.

What you were told is correct. a SBR is "Short Barrel Rifle" not receiver, so it has to leave as a rifle. Find out if you could send them the upper to put on the lower, will also need a grip and stock on it. This will make it a rifle when it leaves. That being said, they may or may not want to do this if it is not one of there uppers.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it can be cut to that depth, and have the profile of the end mill pictured, then absolutely.  

Quoted:

When I started this project, I asked Mark if he could sell me a factory SBR lower.  He said something to the effect of "Hell yeah", but sadly, due to the intricate nature of the NFA restrictions on manufacturers, they can't sell a stripped SBR lower.  It would have to be sold as a complete rifle.  Or at least that's the answer that came from the LaRue Tactical compliance department.

I think I will try to find my own solution before I go bugging him again.  Besides, I'm pretty sure the topic of custom engraving on lowers came up before in the LaRue forum and it got shot down...  could be wrong on that though.

I do laser engraving, and can send you pictures of our work.....but let through this option out there for you.

What you were told is correct. a SBR is "Short Barrel Rifle" not receiver, so it has to leave as a rifle. Find out if you could send them the upper to put on the lower, will also need a grip and stock on it. This will make it a rifle when it leaves. That being said, they may or may not want to do this if it is not one of there uppers.....

That's a good point, but the Form 1 is already in the mail and BATFE has cashed my check.  I'd rather not go through the headache of cancelling the form 1, then having to send a lower, upper, and parts off to LaRue Tactical, then have it form 3'd to my dealer, then form 4'd to me.  At this point, it makes more sense to just go forward with the engraving.

I'll definitely keep that in mind for the future though.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 3:00:18 PM EDT
[#7]
why? just do it under the trigger guard where no one will see it like everyone else does. ident marking will have it done in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 3:08:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
why? just do it under the trigger guard where no one will see it like everyone else does. ident marking will have it done in a few weeks.
View Quote

Because I want to.  I listed why in the OP; I'd like the trust markings to match the factory markings.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 8:40:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:58:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well, if you decide to go with laser engraving:

samples of our work...

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=74890
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=74891
View Quote

Thanks, I'll keep you guys in mind.  Though my PM box is already full of people beating down my door to do laser engraving
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:35:57 AM EDT
[#11]
D&R Gunsmithing and Sales in Goose Creek, SC can do the laser engraving for you. Rich does all of mine.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 3:23:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Matching factory engraving is a common request at my shop. We have created specific fonts for companies like LaRue, Noveske, Colt etc.. We can usually 'match' a font very close even if the original was done with a different process, like CNC machining or chem etch. Keep in mind 'very close' is subjective-what I think is close may be different than what the customer thinks. We are staring at engraving all day long so so lot of time we are over the top but occasionally the customer is very particular. I would ask for a sample proof of the engraving on an anodized aluminum 'coupon'. We typically provide them if requested and have the customer buy off on the work.

Jason @ Ident
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:13:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Is the word revocable part of your trust name as defined on your trust declaration page? I think option 1 would look cleaner with "whatever trust" all on one line.

I like preference 2 better since it mirrors the markings on the left side.

Larue Tactical was right, you can't sell a stripped SBR lower. In the latest NFA handbook and ATF NFA FAQs, they clarify that an SBR is a configuration of a firearm NOT a separate class of firearm. Once you remove the short barrel, it is no longer an SBR and no longer under NFA purview. This is contrary to the "once a MG always a MG" rule.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:34:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:04:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

hmmm....I would be careful clumping "Machine Guns" with SBRs.......even if you take and put a semi auto upper on a MG, it is still a registered machine gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is contrary to the "once a MG always a MG" rule.

hmmm....I would be careful clumping "Machine Guns" with SBRs.......even if you take and put a semi auto upper on a MG, it is still a registered machine gun.

You quoted me out of context.

What I said was SBRs can go from NFA to non-NFA per the ATF which is not the case with MGs. For many years prior to ATF clarification, it was generally accepted that SBRs were treated in that same manner which is why manufacturers sold stripped SBR lowers on Form 4s.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top