Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2015 10:23:29 AM EDT
I know this is dumb but I have only been in the SBR game for about 2 months so please bare with me! I was just wondering if:

Say you have a M92 pistol and you Form 1 it and get back your stamp back, Then you convert it to an SBR with a folding stock and red bot and blah, blah, blah. Can you legally go between the pistol and SBR form of the M92 or once it is a legal SBR and has the stock on it does it have to stay in that configuration forever?

I know that this may seem like a silly question but I just wanted to know!
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:20:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:42:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the insight! The local class 3 dealer here wasn't able to give a clear answer either because of the grey areas! It would be awesome to go back and forth yet I want to make sure its all legal!
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not a silly question. Unfortunately, it's a question without a perfectly clear answer.

The two sides of the argument:

1. ATF Ruling 2011-4 (also known as US vs Thompson) clearly says you can go back and forth from pistol to rifle, as long as it started as a pistol. Part of the explanation includes the description "weapon made from a rifle".

2. When you file a Form 1, you're making a new firearm...just (usually) adopting the markings of the old one. So, you're no longer starting with a pistol, you now have an SBR, which cannot be converted to a pistol due to the "weapon made from a rifle" issue.

I used to firmly be in Camp 1. However, after the explanation from some members of Camp 2, I tend to agree with them. It's enough of a grey area that I'll never do it, and I'll never recommend anyone do it. That being said, Camp 1 still has a lot of members.
View Quote

I would disagree that there is any validity to Camp 2. Returning to a Title I pistol, you are returning to "originally designed to be fired with one hand". There is no question. It is not "made from a rifle" if it was "originally designed to be fired from one hand".

"...made from a rifle" would apply and would be final if it started as a Title I "Other", but "pistol" has a permanent protection.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#4]
You can reconfigure it as a  "Title 1" Pistol any time you want.  BATFE states that an AK Pistol rear trunnion must NOT accept a stock, so you will have to remove the folding stock trunnion and replace it with the original pistol trunnion.  The easiest way to do this is to use screws to fasten the trunnions to the receiver.  You can use Heli-coil inserts in the trunnion rivet holes so you don't have to tap them oversize and over-bore the receiver holes.  You can also purchase new trunnions that haven't been drilled for rivets, and drill them to match the rivet holes on your receiver.  If you drill & tap the original trunnion to accept a folding mechanism, such as those made by ACE, you can no longer use it on a pistol, as it "readily" accepts a stock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top