Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2015 6:58:20 PM EDT
Thinking about SBRing a Thompson .45 rifle.

PSA has a pistol version for about a grand.

Has anyone SBR'ed a Thompson?  Did you get a rifle and put a short barrel on it, or go with the pistol and put a stock on it, or gotten a SBR from the factory?

I'd rather SBR it myself, to avoid it sitting around until the form comes in.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:01:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I scored a 16" TM1 with 6 mags for a deal I couldn't pass up. Going to get a 10" barrel and swap myself. From everything I've read, they're just threaded in and torque to spec (don't know the poundage off hand). I'll also need to swap the front sight from the 16" barrel, time it, and drill it for the roll pin. Timing should be easy, Flip it upside down and rest it on the rear sight ears.

Interested in other's thoughts as well.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:20:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think the pistol version has the rail to mount the buttstock. Probably better to get the rifle version and swap barrels.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:09:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think the pistol version has the rail to mount the buttstock. Probably better to get the rifle version and swap barrels.
View Quote

Tis true, the pistol version is lacking the rail to mount the stock. You can machine it off if you've got access to a mill, but it's just easier to start with a rifle and swap the barrel.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Late to the party, as usual.
I SBR'd mine a few months ago, and it's like a whole new weapon. KAHR sells them ready made as factory SBR's, but I FORM 1'd mine and dropped in a barrel from Thompsonbarrels.com, and it was slick as snot. I went with a press on 1921-style front sight because I think it looks better than the Cutts, and because I thought it would be easier to time. It was a breeze.
SBR'ing the 1927A1 really brought it to life. It's much handier, and funner to shoot.

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 12:20:13 AM EDT
[#5]
how hard was it to remove your barrel? How did you do it ?
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 1:18:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I want to do a Thompson next
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 1:42:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Late to the party, as usual.
I SBR'd mine a few months ago, and it's like a whole new weapon. KAHR sells them ready made as factory SBR's, but I FORM 1'd mine and dropped in a barrel from Thompsonbarrels.com, and it was slick as snot. I went with a press on 1921-style front sight because I think it looks better than the Cutts, and because I thought it would be easier to time. It was a breeze.
SBR'ing the 1927A1 really brought it to life. It's much handier, and funner to shoot.

https://home.comcast.net/~gunspotz/1928a1.jpg
View Quote

Oh sweet! I like that.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:24:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quite nice.  I few years ago I was able to fire a friend's Full Auto West Hurley.  We heated that sucker up so hot that the solder on the front sight melted and was moving around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top