Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2015 9:45:59 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I just got inherited a form 1 Rock River Arms SBR.    My uncle kept it behind the seat of his truck and his name and city have become damaged due vibrations.   It's mostly readable but isn't very deep.

Is this something I need to worry about?  I plan on panting it and am pretty sure the engravings won't be visible.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 10:37:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Engravings are only the manufacturer's (or maker's for form1) responsibility, after that the only thing that matters is that you don't alter or remove the serial number
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:10:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I appreciate your reply!

I'm pretty new to the NFA game and still have tons of reading to do to educate myself.  I do have another question that's crossed my pea brain this evening.

Hypothetically, if I were to Form 1 another receiver and the engravings became worn off like my uncles gun or filled in with cerakote; would I need to re-engrave?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:53:25 AM EDT
[#3]
The SBR need to be engraved with the maker's name, city, state. If it gets worn off then the lower is no longer engraved.  Legit engraving places should engrave deep enough to prevent issues.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:01:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks, I appreciate your reply!

I'm pretty new to the NFA game and still have tons of reading to do to educate myself.  I do have another question that's crossed my pea brain this evening.

Hypothetically, if I were to Form 1 another receiver and the engravings became worn off like my uncles gun or filled in with cerakote; would I need to re-engrave?
View Quote

My advice would be to ensure your NFA items always meet the legal requirements for depth and placement

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:48:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Of course.  My question was purely hypothetical.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:58:12 AM EDT
[#6]
In my understanding, in that circumstance you are the maker and responsible for the markings.

At the end of the day, I only know of two instances where markings were found to be a problem by the BATFE. In both instances the BATFE confiscated the weaon, marked it with an electro pen for the owner, and then returned the weapon
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:36:10 AM EDT
[#7]
This is a simple one.

Find an engraver locally and have it re-engraved.  

It won't be very expensive and it won't affect value.

The peace of mind is worth it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:07:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hey guys,

I just got inherited a form 1 Rock River Arms SBR.    My uncle kept it behind the seat of his truck and his name and city have become damaged due vibrations.   It's mostly readable but isn't very deep.

Is this something I need to worry about?  I plan on panting it and am pretty sure the engravings won't be visible.

Thanks in advance
View Quote

(2) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed), or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information includes:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top