Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2015 1:58:18 PM EDT
I posted this in GD last night but didn't get much input since they aren't exactly high-speed-low-drag. But anyways, here they are. I'll probably end up doing both, with the Ranch Hand being first.

Number 1: SBR and shorten my .357 Ranch Hand to a 4+1, give it peep sights, folding and fixed stock (swappable), and threaded for a suppressor. The cost will probably be around $500

Paint mockup:

Similar to finish product (no nickel and obviously will be an SBR):

Link to thread that has the folding stock:
https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=47&t=410329

Number 2: A "budget" (much cheaper than a real one) McMillan CS5 knockoff in either .308 w/ 12.5" barrel or a .300 BO with an 8" or 10" barrel. Chassis will be a MAK Enterprises Tube Gun and the action will be a Remington 700. The cost of either caliber build will be over $2000 (I'm leaning more towards the .300BO because of less muzzle blast unsuppressed). I'm not sure if I'll go for it starting life out as a rifle or as a "pistol".

End product,  kinda (mine will have a folding stock vs a detachable):

So what do yall think, are these sound ideas? The primary purpose is to be a super quiet blaster that I could use for critter control/hogs/Texas deer (AKA micro runts that either of these options would be more than adequate for) and for cheap plinking (I have a reloading set with .223, .308, and .357 dies but have no idea how to use it)
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 2:03:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the idea of the ranch hand SBR.  I would probably try to make a wood stock for it and thread it for my suppressor.

The second gun I just can't see myself spending the money on.  I would be much more likely to build a 300 blackout AR based SBR and put a WAR upper or gas block switch on it.  You could even delete the gas system on an AR upper and make it a straight pull bolt action.  $2k is alot of money for  a subsonic bolt gun.  You could get one of the AR side folders and a UCIW for much less while having pretty much the same functionality.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the idea of the ranch hand SBR.  I would probably try to make a wood stock for it and thread it for my suppressor.

The second gun I just can't see myself spending the money on.  I would be much more likely to build a 300 blackout AR based SBR and put a WAR upper or gas block switch on it.  You could even delete the gas system on an AR upper and make it a straight pull bolt action.  $2k is alot of money for  a subsonic bolt gun.  You could get one of the AR side folders and a UCIW for much less while having pretty much the same functionality.
View Quote

You have a point there... my only thing is that I'm just not a huge AR nut outside of 5.56 and (probably the biggest part) is that I'm a gun "hipster" of sorts (normal = boring).

With a little more thought, I could probably get the base cost (no optics and a used Fudd rem 700) down to around $1200 or maybe even less + optic for ~$400 + $200 stamp. The cost wouldn't be bad if I had the self control (which is a LONG shot ) to spread the cost out over a few months
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 3:21:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I think one of the Mossberg MVP's with a 300 blk barrel would make an interesting SBR.  A little different from what you had planned though.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think one of the Mossberg MVP's with a 300 blk barrel would make an interesting SBR.  A little different from what you had planned though.
View Quote

My brother has a MVP patrol and to me, it's a flimsy thing and the mag system is finicky (an AR magwell and mag release would be a HUGE improvement) when he first got it, I had that exact idea until I put trigger time behind it and thought I was going to break it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 3:45:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Ok, I haven't used an MVP, just read about them.

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:23:43 PM EDT
[#6]
What do yall suggest on the CS5 clone, .308 or .300BO? A guy I know has a barreled action in .308 he may be willing to part with for cheap.....
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:27:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Do/can you reload? The .308 gives you more options in a bolt gun, while (IMHO) .300 is better for AR's. You wouldn't have to change anything to switch from subs to supers. This is true of .300 as well, but supersonic .308 has more energy.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:48:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do/can you reload? The .308 gives you more options in a bolt gun, while (IMHO) .300 is better for AR's. You wouldn't have to change anything to switch from subs to supers. This is true of .300 as well, but supersonic .308 has more energy.
View Quote

I could, I just need to figure out how to correctly set it up. Plus, I already have the gear for .308 already.... I keep going back and forth on which would be the better choice but .308 is probably the smarter option as I can simply handload subs just as quiet as .300BO yet the supers could leave the .300BO in the dust in all categories.

Also, after looking deeper, there is another company that offers a chassis exactly the same as the MAK (and honestly looks "cleaner"/higher quality) but set up for a Tikka T3 and that feels like a better choice in the long run. It'd be about a $200 higher investment but I think it'd be worth it (and I know that brings the barrel into question but a sporter lopped back to the 12.5" mark aughta be heavy enough to stay accurate for bench shooting) plus its a "lightweight"

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:28:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I just sent a form 1 to SBR am M1 carbine. Relax, it's an Auto Ord.
11.5" barrel with a folder will be 29" OAL. I'll thread the barrel, of course
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:54:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just sent a form 1 to SBR am M1 carbine. Relax, it's an Auto Ord.
11.5" barrel with a folder will be 29" OAL. I'll thread the barrel, of course
View Quote

I'd love one of those
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:09:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I really like my RH SBR.  It is very quiet with .44spl ammo and an octane 45.  I am making a form 1 suppressor for it to shoot full power .44mag ammo for hunting.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I really like my RH SBR.  It is very quiet with .44spl ammo and an octane 45.  I am making a form 1 suppressor for it to shoot full power .44mag ammo for hunting.
View Quote

That's exactly my thing. Plus since mine is .357/.38, ammo is cheap, it'd be an awesome plinker. I just need to figure out how to make my suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:01:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What do yall suggest on the CS5 clone, .308 or .300BO? A guy I know has a barreled action in .308 he may be willing to part with for cheap.....
View Quote

It may not really matter to you, but 8-10" is just crazy short for a .308, at that length I would just go .300 BLK. Will suppress better and subs are easier.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:07:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It may not really matter to you, but 8-10" is just crazy short for a .308, at that length I would just go .300 BLK. Will suppress better and subs are easier.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

.308 would be a 12.5" just like the CS5. 8"-10" would be .300BO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top