Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2015 2:49:20 PM EDT
I'm planning to form 1 a 10/22 to I build an SBR with a folding stock and suppressor. Looking for pics of similar configurations and other 10/22 SBRs.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:46:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Here you go.

Edited to add specs:

AMT Lightning Receiver (only factory verified preban receivers available in the early 2000s when this was SBRed)
Cut and threaded factory 10/22 barrel.
Cut down Butler Creek Folder
Ruger KAC556K front gas block/sight/sling
CMORE STS Optic
Bingham Mag Adapter + mag
SRT Commanche Suppressor
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#2]
That thing is sweet! Very similar to what is m planning but I've never seen the AC556 gas block on a 10/22. Very cool. I wonder if that would work with Tech or NDS rear sight?
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 6:24:44 PM EDT
[#3]

6" Kidd barrel with form 1 suppressor
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

That's basically what I'm planning but in black with a different can.

How does the 6" barrel work as far as keeping rounds subsonic? I've read that it needs to be as short as 4.5" but that just may be for hyper velocity stuff.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 7:06:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

How does the 6" barrel work as far as keeping rounds subsonic? I've read that it needs to be as short as 4.5" but that just may be for hyper velocity stuff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

4" will keep bulk pack subsonic ig that is what you are after.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder why nobody makes an aftermarket barrel that short? Several 5.5-6" barrels but nothing that short that I've seen.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:00:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I wonder why nobody makes an aftermarket barrel that short? Several 5.5-6" barrels but nothing that short that I've seen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most likely the barrel makers know the inevitable result of selling 4" or less barrels is a large number of returns and warranty support calls when the end purchasers 10/22s wont reliably run on stock factory parts with most ammo.

6" is probably about as short as you can go and still have a 10/22 run with a decent degree of reliability across a wide range of ammo.   The shorter you go the more tweaks you are going to have to make in terms of ramping the bolt, modifying the recoil spring, polishing the bearing surfaces, etc. as there just isn't enough back pressure on a 3 or 4" barrel to reliably cycle the action.

I kept my builds barrel a bit longer (~7" or so) so I could run a wider range of bulk pack and subsonic ammo and still had to ramp my bolt and other tweaks to get it to run 100% without a suppressor attached.

Can you make a 10/22 run with a 4" barrel....sure but its going to require additional mods and be tuned more toward specific ammo power range....which most end users just are not going to want to mess with and will just blame the manufacturer because they saw 4" builds on the internet.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:09:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That thing is sweet! Very similar to what is m planning but I've never seen the AC556 gas block on a 10/22. Very cool. I wonder if that would work with Tech or NDS rear sight?
View Quote

The challenge with the receiver I used due to the AWB limitation at the time was that the top of the receiver isn't drilled and tapped for a picatinny/weaver scope rail like a factory Ruger 10/22 is.   The AMT has an integral 3/8" "dovetail" rail which is cast as part of the receiver.

I always meant to machine a custom rear site to match the front site from the AC gas block and which would attach to the 3/8" rail.  However, I ended up putting a red dot on it and never really went back to the rear irons project.  

I went though a couple of different red dots that I was never really happy with as the selection of red dots that fit a 3/8" rail and that are not total crap is extremely limited.   I was really happy when CMORE put out a nice good quality red dot that had a 3/8 mounting base option.

One day I will machine a matching rear but on the priority list is way down there.  (given that I have had this gun for over a decade and have still not gotten around to it yet)
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:53:21 PM EDT
[#9]
The 6" Kidd barrel is back bored so its really a 5.5" barrel. It keeps all the bulk packs I've tried subsonic. It may not keep mini mags subsonic but the 1200 fps stuff stays sub
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:55:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Most likely the barrel makers know the inevitable result of selling 4" or less barrels is a large number of returns and warranty support calls when the end purchasers 10/22s wont reliably run on stock factory parts with most ammo.

6" is probably about as short as you can go and still have a 10/22 run with a decent degree of reliability across a wide range of ammo.   The shorter you go the more tweaks you are going to have to make in terms of ramping the bolt, modifying the recoil spring, polishing the bearing surfaces, etc. as there just isn't enough back pressure on a 3 or 4" barrel to reliably cycle the action.

I kept my builds barrel a bit longer (~7" or so) so I could run a wider range of bulk pack and subsonic ammo and still had to ramp my bolt and other tweaks to get it to run 100% without a suppressor attached.

Can you make a 10/22 run with a 4" barrel....sure but its going to require additional mods and be tuned more toward specific ammo power range....which most end users just are not going to want to mess with and will just blame the manufacturer because they saw 4" builds on the internet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen this posted over and over again but it's simply not true!  I have a 4.5 barrel on my pistol and it shoots everything my
rifle does.

I have this barrel now http://www.tacticalinc.com/45-polished-fluted-stainless-steel-threaded-barrel-thread-protector-for-cohort%E2%84%A2-pistol-not-for-charger%E2%84%A2-p-1339.html
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:57:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I did have a KIDD 10in barren on this same pistol before but the barrel was crap.  Way to soft
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 3:38:31 AM EDT
[#12]

I've seen this posted over and over again but it's simply not true!  I have a 4.5 barrel on my pistol and it shoots everything my
rifle does.

I have this barrel now http://www.tacticalinc.com/45-polished-fluted-stainless-steel-threaded-barrel-thread-protector-for-cohort%E2%84%A2-pistol-not-for-charger%E2%84%A2-p-1339.html
View Quote

I can only go off my personal experience which appears to differ from yours that the shorter barrels are more problematic.  

I have had a handful of friends/co-workers who have built short barrel 10/22s over the years that have had issues when the suppressor isn't attached and have brought them over to be worked on.  

Usually a little polishing of the bolt and ramping the tail is all you need.  Sometime a coil or two off the recoil spring as a last resort.  Folks wouldn't be asking me to help them ramp and polishing their bolts if everything worked 100% of the time.  

I even ended up ramping my bolt on a 7" barrel build so lower powered ammo would work more reliably when the suppressor was not attached.   I still have some Fiochi subs that still wont cycle the 7" gun but will cycle a standard 10/22.

I am sure there are folks out there who have really short barrel 10/22s that don't have issues.  Same as folks who have 7" AR uppers work out of the box.  However, almost invariably the requests for help be it on ARs or 10/22s are on the shorter barrel varieties...and almost  never the full 16" versions
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:32:07 AM EDT
[#14]

Very nice! Is that a 5.56 can? It looks big for a rimfire suppressor but it might just be the angle.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:23:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Very nice! Is that a 5.56 can? It looks big for a rimfire suppressor but it might just be the angle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Looks like an octane 45. Might be the 9mm but I'm almost certain its the octane 45 model. SWR octane hd. With a direct mount. Now produced by silencerco
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#16]
That metal sidefolder is made by butler creek I think. I had that same oneo on a Remington 870 for years and used it as my patrol shotgun. I had it stuffed between the drivers seat and center console and beat the ever-loving poop out of that thing. Cheap thing was built like a tank and aside from all the bluing getting rubbed off in places from vibrating against the metal on the center console, it held up amazingly well.

I was thinking about getting a 10/22 take down with factory barrel but now im wondering if i wanna try to put this stock on a takedown 10/22 and then SBR it....

Anybody tried that before?

ETA: its not a takedown but this thing looks amazing and I bet that the screw in barrel is only a little slower to assemble than the takedown model and significantly more accurate.

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 2:40:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Very cool. Which barrel did you use?
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Charger to SBR.  I am going to cut down the LOP on mine by almost 2".  Here is how it sits now.

MAHA
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#20]
The Charger barrels, do they mount to the receiver with a V block like they do on a 10/22?
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 5:33:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The Charger barrels, do they mount to the receiver with a V block like they do on a 10/22?
View Quote

Yup the same as a 10/22. I have an 18 barrel that came off of an anniversary model that I can swap to.

MAHA
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:40:00 AM EDT
[#22]

Nice blaster. Got any specs? Or a build thread?
Does the stock have any wiggle to it or is it solid?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:27:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Here you go.

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh571/jbntex/10_22_SBR_sm_zpsvgkugs23.jpg

Edited to add specs:

AMT Lightning Receiver (only factory verified preban receivers available in the early 2000s when this was SBRed)
Cut and threaded factory 10/22 barrel.
Cut down Butler Creek Folder
Ruger KAC556K front gas block/sight/sling
CMORE STS Optic
Bingham Mag Adapter + mag
SRT Commanche Suppressor
View Quote

Does the stock have any wiggle or is it solid?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:36:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That metal sidefolder is made by butler creek I think. I had that same oneo on a Remington 870 for years and used it as my patrol shotgun. I had it stuffed between the drivers seat and center console and beat the ever-loving poop out of that thing. Cheap thing was built like a tank and aside from all the bluing getting rubbed off in places from vibrating against the metal on the center console, it held up amazingly well.

I was thinking about getting a 10/22 take down with factory barrel but now im wondering if i wanna try to put this stock on a takedown 10/22 and then SBR it....

Anybody tried that before?

ETA: its not a takedown but this thing looks amazing and I bet that the screw in barrel is only a little slower to assemble than the takedown model and significantly more accurate.

https://i47.tinypic.com/14kdvux.jpg
View Quote

barrel details? google foo turns up nada

nvm..

here
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:37:58 PM EDT
[#25]
I have zero experience working with plastic. When the Buttler Creak stock is cut down, how do you keep the edges clean and free of 'burrs'. Also, do people fill in the gap in front with something or leave it open?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:43:15 PM EDT
[#26]
beautiful rifles all, gents
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:01:04 AM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Two questions:

1.) does the AGP folding stock have enough length of pull to shoot with it comfortably?

2.) how come nobody is using a bipod with these things? I get that the barrels and stocks are so short that it would be a pain in the ass to mount one, but I was planning on a SBR'ed rig with the AGP stock and 7" takedown barrel with their slotted short handguard with a bipod mounted to it. Would the pressure on the bipod being transferred through the handguard to the thread where the barrel mounts screw up the repeatability or point of impact of the gun?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:44:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Two questions:

1.) does the AGP folding stock have enough length of pull to shoot with it comfortably?

2.) how come nobody is using a bipod with these things? I get that the barrels and stocks are so short that it would be a pain in the ass to mount one, but I was planning on a SBR'ed rig with the AGP stock and 7" takedown barrel with their slotted short handguard with a bipod mounted to it. Would the pressure on the bipod being transferred through the handguard to the thread where the barrel mounts screw up the repeatability or point of impact of the gun?
View Quote

I don't think a SBRed 10/22 would be used for anything that you would need a bipod. I don't even use a bipod on my SBRed ARs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:54:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I don't think a SBRed 10/22 would be used for anything that you would need a bipod. I don't even use a bipod on my SBRed ARs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Two questions:

Exactly. Not much precision work to be done with the little guys. Not that they aren't capable it just isn't what they were made for.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:36:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

You know if they moved the receiver forward a hair, and inverted it, so it could be fed from the actual mag...   print $$
as is... the mag sticking out kills it...and the price
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top