Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2015 6:31:43 PM EDT
My Daniel Defense MK 18 SBR is "estimated" to be delivered in about 2 weeks to my local gun shop and then i have to wait for my Form 4 to come back but I wanted to know what yall think of my SHTF gun? Also any form of opinion or suggestion or modification is greatly appreciated and wanted!

So here we go:

Rifle

-Daniel Defense MK 18 SBR
-Daniel Defense Buffer Tube, Spring, H Buffer, Lower, Upper, Bolt, Barrel, Gas system, Butt stock, Grip, and Rail

Lower Modifications

-Geissele SSA or SSA-E trigger (Not sure yet which one)
-KNS gen 2 mod 2 non-rotating trigger pin
-Phase 5 Tactical EBRv2 Battery Assist (one piece)
-BAD-ASS or Troy ambidextrous safety selector (Not sure which one)
-ODIN works extended magazine release
-BCM VLTOR or AXTS Raptor ambidextrous charging handle (Not sure which one)

Upper Modifications

-Magpul XTM Hand Stop Kit
-Tactical Link QD Picatinny Rail Sling Mount, Gen 2
-Tactical Link Convertible Bungie Sling for AR15
-Daniel Defense flashlight offset mount
-Surefire SR remote dual switch for flashlight
-Surefire m300 or m600 Scout Light (Not sure which one)

Optics

-Larue Tactical QD Aimpoint Micro Mount
-Aimpoint Micro H1
-Daniel Defense fixed front and rear sights (1/3 co witness when used with the aimpoint mount)

Suppressor

-5.56 Socom muzzle brake or flash hider (Not sure which one)
-Socom556-RC Suppressor

Thank you for reading this lengthy list and again comments, concerns, opinions and all else are appreciated and wanted!
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:42:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty sure I read on Geissele website that you shouldn't use the kns or any anti rotation pins with their triggers, I may be wrong though
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:00:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Now that I think about it I think I read that before! I think I read that non-rotating pins should only be used with a geissele if the lower is old and worn out but if new then not to use a non-rotating pin. Thanks for pointing that out!
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 4:50:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Personally i'd throw an SSA trigger in it, upgrade the charging handle, throw the aimpoint on it and spend the rest of my money on ammo, mags, and classes.  Again, this is my opinion but all of the extra "bells and whistles" with the ambi mag release, safety, bolt catch, etc. are just more things to get in the way.  The MK18 SBR is good to go as is.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Thats what I originally was going to do but I have about 7-8k of 5.56 for my other AR15 and plenty of mags so I want to build a everyday, longterm, any situation type SBR. But right when I get the gun i'm at least going to get a charging handle, SSA trigger, and the aim point with the fixed sights!
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like a nice rifle. You'll get differing opinions because there's so many of us from different backgrounds, so here is mine. all the below is just my personal opinions which mean as much as you paid for them.

I like SD-C Geissele triggers because I like the flat bows better.
Geissele says not to use AntiRotational pins
I like the KAC ambI safeties
Raptor all day
Knights hand stop
Are there not sling holes(or whatever they're called) built into the rail?
I've had Surefire tape switches break so I don't use them. I put it at 9:00 and use my thumb for momentary or full on/off
The m300 may be more proportional to the gun, if that matters. Also is lighter.
I'd go T-1 for the simple reason they seem to hold their value more judging from prices of both on EE. I always end up selling or trading optics sooner or later.
I like KAC flips or offsets better than the DD BUIS. But I also don't want irons in the way of the sight. Some care, some don't....

I think you have a fine plan overall.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Any difference between the Geissele SSA and the SD-C? Other than the bow? Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Any difference between the Geissele SSA and the SD-C? Other than the bow? Thanks!
View Quote

I'm fortunate enough to own both. They are supposed to be the same pulls, but the flat bow just feels better to me. Straight back to where it breaks, I feel I have more feel with a flat bow. Wish I had a better way to explain it. I'm sure others don't like it.

The good news is if you don't like it, Geissele triggers get almost 100% of their retail on EE, even used.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks! I probably will definitely go with a Geissele no matter what!
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 7:08:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Two threads???

sbr sound
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Two different areas, but the second one got moved so now 2 in the same spot.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:54:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I run the Tactical Link convertible sling on my MK18ish gun. Works great; well built. Even though I keep it in two point most of the time.

As you spec'd out, it's certainly is top shelf. If it were me I'd stick with trigger, light, suppressor, optic, BUIS and sling.  The rest are just additional points of failure.

But there's no wrong answer.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 9:09:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Yea I am definetely going to get the trigger, light, optics, sling and supressor first and then later down the road as deals come up I will buy other parts!
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 10:34:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Personally i'd throw an SSA trigger in it, upgrade the charging handle, throw the aimpoint on it and spend the rest of my money on ammo, mags, and classes.  Again, this is my opinion but all of the extra "bells and whistles" with the ambi mag release, safety, bolt catch, etc. are just more things to get in the way.  The MK18 SBR is good to go as is.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 10:58:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

+1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

+2

This isn't fashion, the sheer number of accessories you are talking about is ridiculous. You want to build a new rifle on top of the new rifle.

Get to know the rifle when it comes, discover for yourself what works and what doesn't and upgrade as needed.

I can assure you, nothing on the MK18 will be slowing you down or limiting your skill. You'd have to be one hell of an experienced shooter to actually see benefit from the list you posted.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 11:32:58 PM EDT
[#15]
BCM chardhing handle.
SD-E (3.5lb 2stage)
Don't bother with the phase 5 bolt catch.
No KNS pins. Won't need em.
Battle arms safety if you want an ambi.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:32:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I also want to specify that I ordered the Mil-spec+ model and not the commercial model!
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:57:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Wise choice
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 5:44:17 PM EDT
[#18]
If running suppressed I would go with a graver buffer than the H. The MK18 uppers tend to be over gassed and with the suppressor on it will only at to it. FOr what it's worth I run a H3 in my MK18 suppressed. Another option would be an adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:11:42 PM EDT
[#19]
what brand buffer do you run in yours?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 1:35:53 PM EDT
[#20]
So I was at the gun store this weekend just looking at toys and I stumbled across a customers SBR that had a Trijicon ACOG on it. Cant remember which one it was but I do like how his doesn't require batteries. So I was just wondering what everyones opinions were on Trijicons vs. Aimpoint T-1? If y'all have any!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:16:14 PM EDT
[#21]
You won't need many batteries for a T-1.  I change mine once a year or so just because, but they are always going strong, and I leave it on all the time.  If you use the LT660 mount, you have room to carry two spares in the mount.  Assuming good lithium batteries, that's enough cumulative battery life to challenge the tritium lifespan in the ACOG, and that's assuming you leave the Aimpoint on full-time.

The T-1 is more in keeping with the MK18's "mission" as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top