Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2015 12:07:02 PM EDT
Hello all,

I have my form 1 submitted and await approval to build my first SBR. I have most of the parts planned out but need help with some specifics to make sure this thing runs. I'll be using this rig with a YHM Ti. 30 cal suppressor. Here is what I got so far.

Parts list:

-Spartan Billet Receiver (In Hand)
-8" 300 Blk Barrel (In Hand)
-Crosshill Technologies XSR2 Side Charging Upper (In Hand)
-Crosshill Technologies Ridge-Back Handguards 7.2" (In Hand)
-Hogue Stock (In Hand)
-Aimpoint Comp 4 (In Hand)
-Yankee Hill Q.D. Phantom Brake (Need to order)
-Timney Skeltonized Trigger (Need to order)
-Badass 45 deg ambi safety (Need to order)
-JBO Lower Parts Kit (In Hand)
-KNS pins (In Hand)
-Hogue Beavertail Grip (In Hand)
-Crosshill Technology gas tube and micro gas block (In Hand)

Any and all advice or criticism on how build is progressing would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jason
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:23:26 PM EDT
[#1]
No need for a adjustable gas block on a 300 BLK - it was designed around NOT using one.

Also - just get a regular pistol length gas tube. I went with a melonited one to keep it dark.

As to the UBR - have you tried one? I find it makes a light handy SBR too heavy in the back for me - YMMV.

Enjoy your build,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:43:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats great news about the adjustable gas block and I hope thats the case. That will save some cash! I was under the impression to run both suppressed and unsuppressed I would probably need one.I have a UBR on a full size AR and love it. I'm a big guy and need a long length of pull. I am not a fan of many other adjustable stocks. I'll have to keep weight in mind and look around before buying.

Thanks
Jason
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:47:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I had an AAC 9" 300 BLK barrel on an SBR a couple of years ago.  It came with a regular low-profile gas block.  It ran suppressed and unsuppressed without any issue.  It also had no issues whether I was shooting super- or subsonic ammo.

Save your money there.

If you like the UBR, then by all means, get another.  Stocks are a very personal thing.  I'd suggest trying a SOPMOD stock.  It'll be a bit lighter without being a featherweight, has some storage in the tubes, is considerably cheaper, and the cheekweld is superior in my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:40:24 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 to what has been said before....you don't need an adjustable gas block.  The round was designed for a 8-9" barrel using all standard parts with the exception of the barrel.  An H2 is recommended by AAC, although I know ALOT of folks that run a Spikes T2, as it is midway between an H1 and an H2.  I have an 8.5" and it runs anything I put in it.  As for stocks, mine wears a LaRue Rat.  However, I am also a fan of SOPMODs, and suggest you try one.  I have seen a lot of people use the LWRC super shorty stock as well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Good info gentlemen. I think I'll start off with standard low profile gas block
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:35:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a UBR for my 308 AR-10 SBR, but I would not recommend it for a AR-15 SBR project, it is way too heavy in the back for that. I would recommend either the Magpul CTR, or a LWRC Ultra Compact. I have the NEA CCS on my SBR right now and while it does make for a very small package it can be a pain to disassemble and reassemble and requires a proprietary BCG.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 11:12:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Alright gentleman, I have decided against the UBR for my SBR project. Right now I am pretty settled on the Hogue Overmold AR stock. It has multiple QD slots, its light and I like the looks of it. Best part is its only $60 vs the $250 I was looking at for the UBR.

Thanks for all the feedback. I purchased gas tube and Hogue beavertail grip today. I plan to buy Ridge-back handguard and gas block on Friday of next week.

Thanks again
Jason
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Going with a Timney Skeltonized Trigger. Should I go with the 3 lb or 4 lb model?
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Going with a Timney Skeltonized Trigger. Should I go with the 3 lb or 4 lb model?
View Quote

Not sure about Timneys but I have a Geissele SSA (4.5#) in my "tacticool" rifle and a SSA-E (3.5#) in my coyote rifle. I don't think I'd want the lighter trigger in the tacticool rifle but a lot of guys run them and like them just fine for that purpose. I would opt for the 4# model if I were getting a Timney, but then I wouldn't choose a Timney over a Geissele, either.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 10:58:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Have a Timney in a 700 and love it. Have a Geissele in my Scar 17s and love it too Geissele has too many triggers for the AR and it confused the issue and steered me away. Almost got a 4.5 lb POF trigger that had great reviews but wasn't sure because I don't hear about them on the forums much. Truthfully I guess it's still up in the air. I have till next Friday to decide (payday)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top