Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2015 8:42:30 PM EDT
I'm building a 10" 5.56 SBR.  Any suggestions on whether I should go for a flash suppressor or a brake?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Suppressing it or not?

If so a break.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:56:28 PM EDT
[#2]
No suppressor in my plans.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:03:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd get a FH... I have a brake right now bc I have been going suppressed but lately I've used the suppressor less and the muzzle blast really distracts you.  In a way, it's almost like someone puts something in your face so you can't see the target for a split second after each shot.  It stays really flat but I rather be able to see what I'm shooting at.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:07:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't mind shooting a brake without a can. If you do go with then go with the flash hider
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:09:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This means flash hider.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:59:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I put a few rounds through my 11.5" with a 51T brake for the first time in a while without the can on. It caught me by surprise.

+1 for a flash hider.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:18:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This means flash hider.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This means flash hider.

This and I like Vortex FH for my non suppressed firearms.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:26:03 AM EDT
[#8]
There has been zero evidence that a muzzle brake is better with a suppressor vs a flash hider.  Please stop putting out false information.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:33:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There has been zero evidence that a muzzle brake is better with a suppressor vs a flash hider.  Please stop putting out false information.
View Quote

You are so misinformed.

I have a M4-2000, I have had it since 2012. On SBRs I use MBs. Even then I still have erosion.

My buddy got a m4-2000 late last year. He used a FH on his SBR, He does not shoot suppressed near as much as he shoots unsuppressed.

I shot with him this weekend, I took a look inside his can, he has significantly more blast baffle erosion and doesn't have 1/10th the rounds I do through my can. Guess what he has switched to due to the erosion?

Brakes save blast baffles plain and simple. On anything less than 16" I use a brake for saving my suppressor.

My can after a guesstimated 8 - 10k and using a brake, this was before I cleaned the can out. I have also went through about 3 brakes due to erosion on the brake itself.

If you are not planning on using a can, go FH. I personally don't find brakes too bad when shooting in open space, but they definitely tear barricades the hell up

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Take a look here,

This is from a direct thread can.

Erosion is a real thing

https://referenceonly.wordpress.com/category/ar15m16/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top