Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2015 9:24:04 AM EDT
Agrivted with the form 1 process, I have been considering a Sig brace for my Pap in 7.62. Does anyone know if it's still a pistol if you mount the brace on a pistol buffer tube that is hinged. I'm sure it's a dumb question but I figured I'd start here.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:36:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Yup. Its still a brace. Its perfectly legal.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Of course, once you shoulder that brace you have an unregistered SBR, so why not just do the form 1 and use a real stock instead.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:21:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Because it's hinged?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:52:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Because it's hinged?
View Quote

No, because ATF changed their mind about Sig Braces and said it is illegal to shoulder them.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1700566_Sig_Brace_ruled_ILLEGAL_TO_SHOULDER_by_ATF.html
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:44:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Spend your money on the Tax Stamp instead of the worthless Sig Brace.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:11:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Get the proper triangle stock for a krink build.....
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Op. I agree, Short AKs need to be SBR'd, they just looks so sexy. For an AR however the brace looks great.

In regards to the "Its illegal if you shoulder it" people. Did you get a letter from the ATF? Because we all know what the ATF says about their letters. Also you may note the word in use in the above letter is "Oppinion' and we all know what opinions are like...
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:41:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Op. I agree, Short AKs need to be SBR'd, they just looks so sexy. For an AR however the brace looks great.

In regards to the "Its illegal if you shoulder it" people. Did you get a letter from the ATF? Because we all know what the ATF says about their letters. Also you may note the word in use in the above letter is "Oppinion' and we all know what opinions are like...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not "get a letter from ATF", however It was posted as an open letter on ATF's industry page (see here). Not here to debate this issue, just give the OP all of the info so he can make his own decision. With that, I am out of this thread.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:11:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I did not "get a letter from ATF", however It was posted as an open letter on ATF's industry page (see here). Not here to debate this issue, just give the OP all of the info so he can make his own decision. With that, I am out of this thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Open letter means absolutely nothing bud. You came here to be the policeman, nothing in this thread said anything about shouldering a brace. There is no LAW against it, and the brace is legal to own. Havee fun annoying brace users at the range.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Posting this question in this forum spells out what the intent is in my eyes.  I think the triangle stock is the best look for a krink looking build.  I'd just do the form 1 and be done with it and have a much more functional gun.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:07:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Posting this question in this forum spells out what the intent is in my eyes.  I think the triangle stock is the best look for a krink looking build.  I'd just do the form 1 and be done with it and have a much more functional gun.
View Quote

Your eyes and the law are two very different things. I agree he should just SBR it, but nothing wrong with using a brace either if he so chooses....!!!!!!!!!!!!BUT DONT SHOULDER IT OP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OR THE ARFCOM RANGEMASTERS WILL TELL YOU YOURE BREAKING A LAW THAT DOES NOT EXSIST....
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Your eyes and the law are two very different things. I agree he should just SBR it, but nothing wrong with using a brace either if he so chooses....!!!!!!!!!!!!BUT DONT SHOULDER IT OP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OR THE ARFCOM RANGEMASTERS WILL TELL YOU YOURE BREAKING A LAW THAT DOES NOT EXSIST....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The ATF says it is a stock if shouldered.  I won't argue any further. No different than an M4 stock.  Even if you beat the rap you won't beat the ride.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:36:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The ATF says it is a stock if shouldered.  I won't argue any further. No different than an M4 stock.  Even if you beat the rap you won't beat the ride.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With that logic, then so is your buffer tube...Or your pistol is an AOW when holding it with 2 hands. Once again, there is no law backing up anything the ATF said in their "open letter". The ATF enforces law. They do not make it. WHich is why Sig braces are still for sale today, because they know all they can do make an opinion.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Sorry, got a little carried away there.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I find the brace to be too "thick" when folded.  Didn't like it enough to keep it in that configuration.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:09:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I find the brace to be too "thick" when folded.  Didn't like it enough to keep it in that configuration.
View Quote

The SBX and newer models supposedly coming out are much thinner and better than the SB15.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:36:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No, because ATF changed their mind about Sig Braces and said it is illegal to shoulder them.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1700566_Sig_Brace_ruled_ILLEGAL_TO_SHOULDER_by_ATF.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because it's hinged?

But they changed their minds - again. ATF LETTER FROM MARCH 2014
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:37:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because it's hinged?

(Sorry about the double post. Can't figure out how to delete it.)  
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:25:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Nov 2014 comes after Mar 2014, just saying
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 3:26:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because it's hinged?

You're doing great Padawan. You have managed to spread misinformation in not only this thread, but two others as well.

Thread 1

Thread 2
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:07:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Shockwave Technologies Blade stabilizer is better than the SB Tactical "strap on"  braces but still falls in the same category with the ATF. Comes with ATF approval letter, NO STRAP needed, thinner, better looking...
Shockwave Technologies Blade

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 1:19:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
With that logic, then so is your buffer tube...Or your pistol is an AOW when holding it with 2 hands. Once again, there is no law backing up anything the ATF said in their "open letter". The ATF enforces law. They do not make it. WHich is why Sig braces are still for sale today, because they know all they can do make an opinion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are very wrong here.

First, Sig braces are still for sale because they are perfectly legal if used in the manner they were approved for.

Second, the BATFE has the authority to legislate, adjudicate, and execute law. Do yourself a little research on Administrative Law.  
ATF rules, i.e. their administration of the GCA/NFA , are law in the same way that IRS rules are law (tax laws). These change year to year, even quarter by quarter, do you think these are legislative laws? Do you truly think Congress can act that quickly?
Regardless of what you think or read on the interweb the open letter stating shouldering of any otherwise legal brace redesigns it as a stock is and will remain law unless it is invalidated by  Judicial review.

Sig cannot do anything because they do not sell it for any other reason then the one in which it was designed and approved for. Any move they make against this letter or the ATF will show their intention of selling it to be used as a stock. They are not going to do that. They can and have stated publicly that they do not agree with the decision but that is all they will ever do.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top