Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2015 10:11:42 AM EDT
I'm building a 11.5" SBR.  So far I have the lower, stripped upper, rail and BCG.  Right now I'm thinking of going with an Aero Precision 11.5" barrel but I'm not 100% set on that yet.

Should I get an adjustable gas block?  I do plan on getting a suppressor for this but it probably won't be until next year or the year after.  I've never assembled an upper before so I don't know if an adjustable gas block would be too difficult for me to install or not.

Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:21:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice but not necessary.

Nicer if you do run a can but still not necessary.

A lot of info here but you'll have to go back a few pages...or so.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:26:34 AM EDT
[#2]
This above.  Also, an adj. block is no different to install than any other gas block.  Most adj. blocks are going to be held in place by set screws as they are primarily aftermarket parts that the manufacturer knows is going to be installed by an individual.  
I have them on my modern short barreled rifles, but I machine my own and don't have to pay the higher price that adj. blocks command.  If I were going to buy one I would buy the GovNah by Micro MOA.  Very nice to be able to switch from one setting to another in an instant.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:29:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Might as well.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This above.  Also, an adj. block is no different to install than any other gas block.  Most adj. blocks are going to be held in place by set screws as they are primarily aftermarket parts that the manufacturer knows is going to be installed by an individual.  
I have them on my modern short barreled rifles, but I machine my own and don't have to pay the higher price that adj. blocks command.  If I were going to buy one I would buy the GovNah by Micro MOA.  Very nice to be able to switch from one setting to another in an instant.
View Quote

A number of guys in the Mk18/CQBR thread (linked above) are running Govnahs and like them.

There is a Govnah thread somewhere here but I have no idea where.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:39:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

A number of guys in the Mk18/CQBR thread (linked above) are running Govnahs and like them.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is in the INDUSTRY FORUM, down the page where the DEALERS are listed.   Dealers, not Manufacturers.  Listed under Micro MOA.
Robert at MICRO MOA is a good guy to deal with. You wouldn't be disappointed with the Gov Nah.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Also, an adj. block is no different to install than any other gas block.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Also, an adj. block is no different to install than any other gas block.

Good to know, thanks.

Quoted:
Might as well.

This was pretty much my reason to get one.  I'm putting a gas block on the barrel anyways so I might as well do an adjustable one.

ETA:  I was looking at the SLR gas blocks since they seem to be at a good price point.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:59:17 AM EDT
[#7]
My last build, I used a Syrac Ordnance Gen II. I am happy with it. Set-screw has detents so it stays put, easy to dial it up or down a few clicks. If I do any barrel work in the future, I will be using them again.

I have no experience with the GovNah.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I picked up a couple SLR gas blocks recently and they are nice. I put one on my 10.3 build and I could really tell the difference between just enough gas, and way to much gas.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I use slr sentry 7 adj blocks on a few setups and wouldn't build another without one. Great item and great company.

Regardless of which you go with, I would suggest you incorporate an adj block into your build
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#11]
My 11.5 doesn't have an adjustable and it runs fine with or without the can.  H3 buffer.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:59:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I just bought an 11.5" barrel, started looking at Aero... they get their barrels from Ballistic Advantage, and if you buy direct from BA... its about $30 cheaper

Aero

compared to

Ballistic Advantage
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:28:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes.

No to waiting a year or two on the suppressor. Fo and you will be glad you fent.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#14]

FWIW, Micromoa sells 11.5" MOA barrels with the Govnah already installed.

Quoted:
I'm building a 11.5" SBR.  So far I have the lower, stripped upper, rail and BCG.  Right now I'm thinking of going with an Aero Precision 11.5" barrel but I'm not 100% set on that yet.

Should I get an adjustable gas block?  I do plan on getting a suppressor for this but it probably won't be until next year or the year after.  I've never assembled an upper before so I don't know if an adjustable gas block would be too difficult for me to install or not.

Thanks for the input.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
ETA:  I was looking at the SLR gas blocks since they seem to be at a good price point.
View Quote

I just dialed in a SLR Sentry 7 on my 11.5" dedicated suppressed SBR yesterday.  All it takes is about 3-4 rounds and you're there -- easy peasy.

I also run a Syrac Gen II on my AR-308, which is also dedicated suppressed, and the Syrac Gen II is just as easy to dial in.

You can't go wrong with either and the Syrac is usually $10-$15 cheaper than the SLR (CheaperThanDirt sells the Syrac for around $100 shipped).
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:49:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My last build, I used a Syrac Ordnance Gen II. I am happy with it. Set-screw has detents so it stays put, easy to dial it up or down a few clicks. If I do any barrel work in the future, I will be using them again.

I have no experience with the GovNah.
View Quote

It's actually the adjustment screw that has a detent.  It is a really sweet setup since no set screw is needed to secure your adjustment.  The set screws that it does come with are for mounting and it is recommended you dimple the barrel for a more secure mount but is not absolutely necessary.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:31:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh now that's tempting.  That would help this process out a lot.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 11:32:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The MicroMOA barrels with the adjustable gas block already installed are awesome. Very high quality and very good accuracy. Having the block already installed is a huge plus.
I have a 10.5" MicroMOA barrel with the govnah and also a 12.5" bcm upper that I put a govnah on.
Both are suppressed and both run great. Almost no gas to the face which me being a lefty is a big deal.

I would def. recommend getting one, especially if you plan on suppressing it in the future.

Shoot me an email if you have any questions about them or need more info. I can shoot you some pictures also.

Good luck on the build!
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 8:35:32 AM EDT
[#19]
I put an adjustable GB on my 5th AR build, a 300BO SBR, after shooting it for the first time, I will not build another one without an adjustable GB.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#20]
If you don't mind spending the extra money, why not?
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 4:14:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My 11.5 doesn't have an adjustable and it runs fine with or without the can.  H3 buffer.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 7:57:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Same here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

That brings up another question, if I do go with an adjustable gas block, what buffer should I use?  I was going to use an H2.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 9:44:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That brings up another question, if I do go with an adjustable gas block, what buffer should I use?  I was going to use an H2.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

I'm running an H2 with my 11.5".  I think if you go any shorter you may want to go with an H3.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:33:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:57:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Only real downside is cost.  It can't hurt.  That being said, I just use a regular gas block on my 11.5" SBR with an H2 buffer...it runs fine suppressed and unsuppressed.  It gets a bit faster with the can on but nothing crazy.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 4:38:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I run an H2 buffer since I am running in full auto and you need a H2 to stop bolt bounce in full auto.
I would run an H if running semi auto and controlling the gas.

Heavy buffers and gas deflecting charging handles don't do anything to reduce the fouling coming into the action.

Below is highspeed video shot at 480 FPS showing the same 10.5" upper running suppressed with M855 and full auto 10 rounds each both running H2 buffers. Top one is unregulated and the bottom one is regulated.  Both regulated and unregulated run 100% in full auto.
Both start shooting at the same time but the regulated one has 3 rounds left to fire after the unregulated has cycled through the 10 rounds.
You can see the unregulated one is blowing a bunch of gas out of the ejection port and it also has more recoil as the BCG is bottoming out.  
You don't see any gas coming out of the ejection port on the regulated one and it is softer shooting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwsnZa_299Q

Another video shot in real time to see and hear the difference...again both work and run 100% in full auto with H2 buffers but with the only change is the port size on the Govnah.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTX01Ur-pNU
View Quote

Thank you for taking the time to post that.  I truly appreciate it.

Just this morning I was trying to decide what barrel I was going to get.  Because of this thread MicroMOA is on top of my list.  I really like the idea of getting a barrel with a gas block already installed on it.  I just need to decide if it will fit my budget.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#27]
After pricing out a quality barrels, I found the Micromoa barrel/Govnah combo to be reasonably priced.

Just waiting for the 11.5" medium contours to come back in stock... Paging Amphibian.  Amphibian to the OR.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 7:38:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 10:49:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
After pricing out a quality barrels, I found the Micromoa barrel/Govnah combo to be reasonably priced.

Just waiting for the 11.5" medium contours to come back in stock... Paging Amphibian.  Amphibian to the OR.
View Quote

For some reason I had it in my mind that I was getting a good barrel with an adjustable gas block for ~$200 if I did it myself.  I actually looked around yesterday and priced it out and it would be more like $300.  So, you are correct, the MicroMOA is reasonable.  I'll have to keep watching their site to see when they come back in stock.

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 2:30:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Forgive my ignorance, but why wouldn't you go with the lightest buffer possible with an adjustable gas block instead of going with an H or H2 and then regulating the gas to lock back on an empty magazine?  It seems you would want to go with a carbine buffer and adjust the gas down to that if possible to reduce recoil.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 2:45:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#32]
That makes perfect sense.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:09:06 AM EDT
[#33]
I just ordered a 11.5" Govmn't profile barrel with Govnah installed from MicroMOA.  This gun is slowly coming together.

Thank you, everyone in the thread, for all of the advice and help with my questions!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:51:57 AM EDT
[#34]
After using a Syrac Gen II on my last AR build I am sold on adjustable gas blocks. What brand you go with is up to you, but being able to control the gas and tune the system is TOO awesome. My 7.5" runs great.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#36]
I use SLR sentry gas blocks and they are great. They offer a multitude of setting so you can fine-tune your rifle.  The Govnah offers 3 settings at most but seems like it would be bomb proof. Tough call.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top