Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2015 12:26:31 PM EDT
I'm playing around with the idea of building an SBR. This'd be my first so just checking my thought process before I move forward on anything.

So i'd be building it myself, so will order a stripped lower get it stamped then do form 1, waiting for that to be approved while i build it up.

once that gets approved I'd like a 300 blkout upper, but I'd also like to be able to switch it out with a 556 upper (on the same lower).  Can I legally do this on the same lower? or does anything (stamp, info on form 1)  prevent me from doing so?

thanks for the help

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Once you have an approved Form 1, and you've built your rifle in the specified configuration, you may swap uppers at will, irrespective of caliber or barrel length.  ATF requests, but cannot legally require, that you inform them of any "permanent" configuration change.  What constitutes a "permanent" configuration change on an AR-type weapon is up to you.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes as long as you keep the original 300 upper
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:48:58 PM EDT
[#3]
No problem with what you want to do.

Buy your lower, decide if you want to do it as a trust or individual - have the lower engraved with your or your trusts info, city & state you plan on making the SBR in.

Send in your Form 1 to BATFE either by mail (individual) or via EForms if you go trust. On the F1 you must declare caliber, barrel length & overall length, and you should build it to those specs the first time once you get the approved tax stamp.

From that point on - you can buy/make as many uppers as you wish - change calibers, change barrel lengths, etc...  The BATFE "suggests" you inform them on any permanent changes, but it is not required (at this time, anyway).

I have a AR pistol with both a 5.56 & 300 BLK uppers - my F1 for a different lower has been submitted as a 10.5" 5.56, but will be using both on the SBR once its been approved. I also plan on a SBR 22LR upper...

Decide what you want, and get in the pool!

Take care,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:53:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I used to think that also - but I have found this not to be true. You are under no obligation to be able to return it to the original specs submitted on the F1.

The only time it would come up (as far as I can see) would be if you wanted to sell your SBR to someone, and the F4 info didn't match - the simple solution would be to inform the BATFE of a permanent change prior to the sale of the current configuration.

Take care,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

A myth that needs to stop being spread.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:48:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks everyone.  now its time to stop chatting and start shuffling around finances :-)

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree. I can't find any legal basis for this rumor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top