Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2015 11:06:55 AM EDT
Ok so I figured I would post my recent experience with the good ole ATF...

So I had a few different ARs, a Colt 6920, DPMS barreled Mk12 build, 300 Blackout, etc...but I decided I wanted to start "stamp collecting" and build an SBR based on the Mk18...so I gathered some parts (not all of them for obvious reasons) and filled out my first Form 1 using the ATF's EForms because I saw some people were getting approved in only 30 days...so I filled out my Form 1 using Silencer Shop's YouTube step by step video on 1/21/2015...then the wait begun...

After a lot of checking NFAtracker.com and the ATF's website the day finally came yesterday when I got an answer....DISAPPROVED!  So I got an email stating that I had put my name rather than my trust's name in the applicant spot of the form (thanks silencer shop!) and it said my money for the tax stamp was in the process of being refunded...what a bummer after waiting 44 days!  So I was basically distraught knowing that I would have to wait another 4-6 weeks after filing a new Form 1...

So after filling another Form 1 yesterday I did some internet searching and found the name of the ATF supervisor ([email protected]) and sent him an email explaining my entire case to him at around 11am I figured it was a lost cause....then at 11PM to my suprise I got an email saying that I had been approved for the tax stamp on my New Form 1 I had just filed 12 hours prior! I figure this had to be a world record for ATF approval on an SBR So I figured I would share my story in case anyone makes a mistake on their Form 1 and has to resubmit...it just goes to show that there is some good reasonable people in the ATF...

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:25:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I figure I might as well give you the specs on my rifle build since I am posting about it anyway...
The rifle is built around a Colt Match Target HBar lower (large pins which I learned the hard way!), Palmetto State Armory lower parts Kit, Timney 3 pound trigger, an Anderson complete upper receiver, BCM bolt carrier group and Gunfighter Large latch charging handle, BCM QD reciever Endplate, carbine length melonite gas tube, Daniel Defense 10.3" 1:7 twist chrome lined cold hammer forged MK18 barrel, Silencerco Specwar flash hider (QD mount for my Specwar 556 suppressor that I am also waiting on), Midwest Industries 9" SSM M-Lok free float rail and low profile gas block, Magpul Stealth gray SL stock, pistol grip, and vertical grip, PWS H2 buffer, Blue Force Gear Vickers sling with QD, and finally topped of by a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot...

In case anyone is wondering the total cost of the build including the required receiver engraving and tax stamp combined with bargain shopping was $1580...more than I orignally thought, although my AR builds always end up this way lol!

Here is a picture showing it compared to my Colt LE6920 for comparison...

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:11:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I figure I might as well give you the specs on my rifle build since I am posting about it anyway...
The rifle is built around a Colt Match Target HBar lower (large pins which I learned the hard way!), Palmetto State Armory lower parts Kit, Timney 3 pound trigger, an Anderson complete upper receiver, BCM bolt carrier group and Gunfighter Large latch charging handle, BCM QD reciever Endplate, carbine length melonite gas tube, Daniel Defense 10.3" 1:7 twist chrome lined cold hammer forged MK18 barrel, Silencerco Specwar flash hider (QD mount for my Specwar 556 suppressor that I am also waiting on), Midwest Industries 9" SSM M-Lok free float rail and low profile gas block, Magpul Stealth gray SL stock, pistol grip, and vertical grip, PWS H2 buffer, Blue Force Gear Vickers sling with QD, and finally topped of by a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot...

In case anyone is wondering the total cost of the build including the required receiver engraving and tax stamp combined with bargain shopping was $1580...more than I orignally thought, although my AR builds always end up this way lol!

Here is a picture showing it compared to my Colt LE6920 for comparison...
<a href="http://s1224.photobucket.com/user/wildcamaro/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-05/27A23DDE-C907-46D6-8126-FB06EC26DD22_zps79fgd6hw.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee374/wildcamaro/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-05/27A23DDE-C907-46D6-8126-FB06EC26DD22_zps79fgd6hw.jpg</a>

View Quote

Nice looking blaster.  I filed a Efile earlier in the month and hope to have it back soon as well (it will be my 4th stamp!).  You should check out the Millett QRF mount for your TRS25.  I bought one for mine and the mount is solid.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:34:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks you can probably tell I have the dinky UTG mount which I just bought as a quick solution, but I am going to do something else since I want this to be a gunfighting rifle not a novelty hobby build...
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:52:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
.but I decided I wanted to start "stamp collecting" and build an SBR based on the Mk18

View Quote

Congrats.

It looks like the barrel is the only MK18 part, though.  Just FYI, there is a lot that goes into one of those clones, go visit the big thread.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:00:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Yea I know I posted mine over there without realizing what sticklers they are and got jumped on immediately...I wasn't trying to build a clone, but rather my own take on a mk18...according to them my barrel isnt even a "real" mk18 part...in my eyes unless it's military issue its not a real mk18 anyway...I built my own MK12 Spr build as well using none of the correct parts, but if it has an 18" barrel with a rifle gas system its a mk12 clone in my opinion, same goes with a 10.3" which is a mk18 clone as well...
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:44:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yea I know I posted mine over there without realizing what sticklers they are and got jumped on immediately...I wasn't trying to build a clone, but rather my own take on a mk18...according to them my barrel isnt even a "real" mk18 part...in my eyes unless it's military issue its not a real mk18 anyway...I built my own MK12 Spr build as well using none of the correct parts, but if it has an 18" barrel with a rifle gas system its a mk12 clone in my opinion, same goes with a 10.3" which is a mk18 clone as well...
View Quote

It would be more correct to call your 18" a SPR and your 10.3" a SBR.  The MK12 and MK18 clones are usually built with the majority of the correct standard military issue parts.  Only thing different is the lower receiver.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:01:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Touche
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:09:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ok so I figured I would post my recent experience with the good ole ATF...

After a lot of checking NFAtracker.com and the ATF's website the day finally came yesterday when I got an answer....DISAPPROVED!  So I got an email stating that I had put my name rather than my trust's name in the applicant spot of the form (thanks silencer shop!) and it said my money for the tax stamp was in the process of being refunded...what a bummer after waiting 44 days!  So I was basically distraught knowing that I would have to wait another 4-6 weeks after filing a new Form 1...

So after filling another Form 1 yesterday I did some internet searching and found the name of the ATF supervisor ([email protected]) and sent him an email explaining my entire case to him at around 11am I figured it was a lost cause....then at 11PM to my suprise I got an email saying that I had been approved for the tax stamp on my New Form 1 I had just filed 12 hours prior! I figure this had to be a world record for ATF approval on an SBR So I figured I would share my story in case anyone makes a mistake on their Form 1 and has to resubmit...it just goes to show that there is some good reasonable people in the ATF...

View Quote

It took me 2 weeks to feel comfortable enough to send my efile for my sbr on 2/11. I watched 3 or 4 different vids and almost did the same thing. Luckily I asked someone before I sent it off, I have been keeping an eye out on NFAytraker, looks like I have about 3 more weeks. congrats and nice build
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:11:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Touche
View Quote

Believe me, I was in the same boat you are in.  My 10.3" SBR was built with the MK18 as it's inspiration.  The same with my 18" SPR and the MK12....  but I just could not justify the cost for the correct parts.  my 10.3" uses the same DD barrel you have and it's built to take a beating and the money saved on clone parts basically paid for the suppressor that I use with it now  

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:46:05 AM EDT
[#10]
You got approved in 44 days and 12 hours, not "only 12 hours," but that's not at all shabby.  But the NFA branch is on OUR side.  We're just a bunch of greedy, needy, and patience-challenged gun nuts firearms enthusiasts, and there are only a mere handful of people in the NFA branch to handle the tidal wave of applications we throw at them.  The supervisor saw that your issue was a technical goof, not a "problem," and got it fixed.  Eforms lets that happen, where paper applications don't.

Congrats!

(My latest stamp should be approved in a couple of weeks.  )
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:05:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm confused why you were not approved when using your trust, everything I have seen says to put your trust.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:14:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm confused why you were not approved when using your trust, everything I have seen says to put your trust.
View Quote

The trust is the maker, not you.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:33:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

The trust is the maker, not you.
View Quote

I misread the original post and thought he wasn't approved because he needed to put his name and not the trust. My bad

I have one pending and it made me double check is all
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:16:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes even though I didn a ton of research I still goofed it up, I should have used the guide on this website because it is well written...mrgunsngear's YouTube channel also has a great video outlining the process...honestly it is easy but if you let it intimidate you (which I did) you will make a mistake...but I will say again that other than trying to take out ammo away from us the ATF has good people working for them, they can't help the top people that are serving King Barry Hussein...
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:18:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Glad to hear you got it resolved though I'm jealous your 1/21 submittal got approved before my 1/20.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah that doesn't make any sense, typical when government is involved
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Got approved today
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got approved today
View Quote

On a sunday??
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:52:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

On a sunday??
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got approved today

On a sunday??

Happens all the time. I've gotten several of mine approved on Sundays. Both eForms and paper forms.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:56:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Ted Clutter is Mr. Fixit when it comes to F1 errors.

I mispelled my trust name on my F1.  Realized it 5 days after efiling.  Did some research, found out about Clutter, emailed him, refiled, and had an approved F1 48 hours later.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:33:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ted Clutter is Mr. Fixit when it comes to F1 errors.

I mispelled my trust name on my F1.  Realized it 5 days after efiling.  Did some research, found out about Clutter, emailed him, refiled, and had an approved F1 48 hours later.
View Quote

So your form 1 got approved in 7 days total?!?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top