Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2015 3:38:46 PM EDT
I am getting ready to file my Trust to build a SBR.  Lower is engraved, trust has been returned, witnessed and I am now assigning assets to the trust.  On Form 1 I know I put FMI as maker.  What about on the trust assignment page.  Do I put the name of the manufacturer of the lower or FMI?  Also, do I have to populate the beneficiary schedule now or can that be done later?  

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:53:43 PM EDT
[#1]
What is FMI?

On my trust assignment of property I have listed the actual manufacturer and serial number.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is FMI?

On my trust assignment of property I have listed the actual manufacturer and serial number.
View Quote

First middle initial?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:29:10 PM EDT
[#3]
you need to have a beneficiary, since the point of the trust is to hold property until the settlor/grantors death and distribute said property via a trustee.

If you have anything on your Schedule A/assignment page, it would be the lower with only the original manufacturers information as you dont have permission to "make" the sbr yet
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:38:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
you need to have a beneficiary, since the point of the trust is to hold property until the settlor/grantors death and distribute said property via a trustee.

If you have anything on your Schedule A/assignment page, it would be the lower with only the original manufacturers information as you dont have permission to "make" the sbr yet
View Quote

Do I need to assign specific property to the benefiicaries?

FMI is the ATF's designation for the model of an AR when the owner builds it from parts.  IIUC
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

FMI is the ATF's designation for the model of an AR when the owner builds it from parts.  IIUC
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What you're saying doesn't sound like any Form 1 I've ever filled out. And I have 6 or 7 of them.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:18:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
On Form 1 I know I put FMI as maker.
View Quote

What you "know" in this regard is probably incorrect.  You only use FMI as the manufacturer (not the maker) if it's a lower you made yourself, e.g. from an 80% lower or a forging.  If you used a manufactured lower, you'd instead put the name of the manufacturer.  And on the assignment page, you'd use the manufacturer also.

As to the beneficiaries, your trust is a legal nullity if it doesn't have at least one beneficiary other than yourself.  You can change beneficiaries later, but there must be at least one for the trust to be valid.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:54:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What you "know" in this regard is probably incorrect.  You only use FMI as the manufacturer (not the maker) if it's a lower you made yourself, e.g. from an 80% lower or a forging.  If you used a manufactured lower, you'd instead put the name of the manufacturer.  And on the assignment page, you'd use the manufacturer also.

As to the beneficiaries, your trust is a legal nullity if it doesn't have at least one beneficiary other than yourself.  You can change beneficiaries later, but there must be at least one for the trust to be valid.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On Form 1 I know I put FMI as maker.

^^this^^

It's an EForms thing.

Same thing for a Form 1 suppressor where there's no original manufacturer. Form ends up looking like this:

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:49:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for clearing that up. As I suspected, this applies to 80% or CNC from bar stock. Not converting a pre manufactured lower to SBR.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:59:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I really appreciate the info I've gleaned here. It has obviously prevented me from making Form 1 submission errors.  Thanks from a gun loving noob!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top