Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2015 10:14:38 PM EDT
I am in the north Carolina guard but currently stationed in tx for 4 more months then little rock for 6 months before returging to NC and I want to get a trust, sbr, and suppressor.

Where I have questions is the moving issues.

Is it legal to use a relatives address back in NC then file the year long out of state forms for texas and arkansas then do a change of address form once I get an address in NC?

Or am I able to set up the trust as an NC trust then when I file the forms for the SBR use my current tx address then do address changes to arkansas then north carolina?

Or is there other options I shouled look into?
I've tried googling and can't find much information on this issue, Thankyou in advance for any help offered.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:01:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I had my lawyer draw up my trust with my home of record as the address. I'm in GA now and file a Form 1 and a Form 4 so far; both are in process at this time. I'll be moving to CO by Christmas as well. So I'll likely engrave the SBR with the HOR city/State with the trust name on the firearm. Hope that helps as it seems similar in my head situation wise.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm military as well. My HOR allows SBRs and suppressors but set my trust up in CO where I'm stationed because it's my current address and I can buy in state now. Later when I move back home or wherever I will amend the trust. I did also put family in the trust who live in HOR state so if I move to a ban state I can send everything home.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:25:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So I'll likely engrave the SBR with the HOR city/State with the trust name on the firearm.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So I'll likely engrave the SBR with the HOR city/State with the trust name on the firearm.

Although it's highly unlikely that you would ever get prosecuted for it, that is technically illegal.

From here:
In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the manufacturer maintain your place of business, or where you, as the maker, made the firearm; and

Quoted:
I'm military as well. My HOR allows SBRs and suppressors but set my trust up in CO where I'm stationed because it's my current address and I can buy in state now. Later when I move back home or wherever I will amend the trust. I did also put family in the trust who live in HOR state so if I move to a ban state I can send everything home.

This is what I did as well.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:55:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I did mine with my HOR.  At the time I lived in AL, was a TX resident (HOR), and was PCSing to NC (Bragg).  I'm at Bragg now and have three tax stamps on it with two more in the works.  Below is what I did.

While in AL:

1 x Suppressor bought through Silencer Shop (Austin, TX) and delivered in state to my Father-In-Law (on the trust).  He later shipped the device to me in NC which the ATF said was legal.
2 x SBRed lowers ("made" in TX)

Pending since I've been in NC:

1 x SBRed lower (Made in NC now that I know better)
1 x Suppressor purchased through SF delivered to my SOT in NC.  ATF said my trust (made with AL/TX addresses) is valid for use even for purchase here in NC.  My paperwork for the actual Form 4 will show NC.

Hopefully this was helpful.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:20:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks y'all that was helpful, after talking with a lawyer whose familiar with Texas and North Carolina laws I'm going to get a trust set up that works for both states but initially registered to Texas then transferred to Nc, then register the sbr in texas and transfer it to Arkansas then North Carolina. Thanks again y'all.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:05:06 AM EDT
[#6]
For what it's worth I used Sean Cody in Houston for mine.  He was very helpful and personally loves the firearms hobby.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top