Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2015 4:15:25 PM EDT
Sending in a Form 1 suppressor to be engraved and figured I might as well send in a lower to have the same done.  I'm going to fill out a form 1 and will enter a 11.5" 5.56.  I'm not 100% sure if this will be the final configuration so I understand I can send in a letter afterwards saying I may mount a upper that is "list out all possible barrel lengths" and "list out all possible calibers".  

What am I required to have engraved on the lower?  Planning to do:

Trust Name

City, State

Am I required to have the caliber engraved?  The lower receiver I am sending in has "Multi" for the caliber.  Most of my barrels have the caliber engraved on the barrels but sometimes they are under the freefloat handguard.  Any advise on this? Figured I would ask since I don't want to send this thing out twice to get engraved.  

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#1]
For your lower, just the trust name, city, and state is all that is required.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:49:15 PM EDT
[#2]
You can submit the Form 1 with any configuration you want, but please choose a configuration before you submit. You are required to build the rifle in the configuration you are applying with. You are actually swearing under penalty of perjury to the accuracy of the application, so the submitted barrel length is not something to disregard.

Once you build it per the application, then you are free to change that configuration at will with no further approval or notification. You just have to build it the way you say you will on the application. If for some reason you did change your mind after submission or even after approval, you can notify ATF you want to build it in a configuration different from that listed on the Form 1, but this is time consuming, needlessly so.

Remember, the Form 1 is about initially building the rifle, creating it, not changing the configuration of an existing rifle.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Caliber is only required if the lower says "multi" and the barrel doesn't have any visible markings. ATF Ruling 2013-3 is the clearest explanation if this you'll find from the ATF.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:00:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You can submit the Form 1 with any configuration you want, but please choose a configuration before you submit. You are required to build the rifle in the configuration you are applying with. You are actually swearing under penalty of perjury to the accuracy of the application, so the submitted barrel length is not something to disregard.

Once you build it per the application, then you are free to change that configuration at will with no further approval or notification. You just have to build it the way you say you will on the application. If for some reason you did change your mind after submission or even after approval, you can notify ATF you want to build it in a configuration different from that listed on the Form 1, but this is time consuming, needlessly so.

Remember, the Form 1 is about initially building the rifle, creating it, not changing the configuration of an existing rifle.
View Quote

So to make sure I understand correctly I can build it as a 11.5 inch and then a month later sell the upper and build whatever I would like without sending any type of notification? I'm planning to build the 11.5 as this seems like the best/most popular length but wanted to make sure I understood you correctly.  I might build a 9 inch 300 blackout and put it on this lower down the road.  

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So to make sure I understand correctly I can build it as a 11.5 inch and then a month later sell the upper and build whatever I would like without sending any type of notification? I'm planning to build the 11.5 as this seems like the best/most popular length but wanted to make sure I understood you correctly.  I might build a 9 inch 300 blackout and put it on this lower down the road.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. Once it's built per the Form 1 spec, then you can change it as much as you want. No further ATF involvement is necessary.

The Form 1 regulates the actual making of the firearm, not its practical use thereafter.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:38:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Trust Name
City, State

Am I required to have the caliber engraved?  The lower receiver I am sending in has "Multi" for the caliber.  Most of my barrels have the caliber engraved on the barrels but sometimes they are under the freefloat handguard.  Any advise on this? Figured I would ask since I don't want to send this thing out twice to get engraved.  

View Quote

This is what needs to be on the firearm. Some may already be there if using an existing firearm.

§ 479.102 How must firearms be identified?

(a) You, as a manufacturer, importer, or maker of a firearm, must legibly identify the firearm as follows:
(1) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver thereof an individual serial number. The serial number must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed, and must not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch; and
(2) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed), or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information includes:
(i) The model, if such designation has been made;
(ii) The caliber or gauge;
(iii) Your name (or recognized abbreviation) and also, when applicable, the name of the foreign manufacturer or maker;
(iv) In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the manufacturer maintain your place of business, or where you, as the maker, made the firearm; and
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:50:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This is what needs to be on the firearm. Some may already be there if using an existing firearm.

(a) You, as a manufacturer, importer, or maker of a firearm, must legibly identify the firearm as follows:
(1) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver thereof an individual serial number. The serial number must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed, and must not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch; and
(2) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed), or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information includes:
(iii) Your name (or recognized abbreviation) and also, when applicable, the name of the foreign manufacturer or maker;
(iv) In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the manufacturer maintain your place of business, or where you, as the maker, made the firearm; and
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trust Name
City, State

Conspicuously

I had "CAL - 5.56" engraved under the trust info.

Yeah, 5.56 is marked on the barrel, but it's hidden by the rail (as most are).

Maybe a 0.1% chance of it being an issue, but I never gamble.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:32:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sending in a Form 1 suppressor to be engraved and figured I might as well send in a lower to have the same done.  I'm going to fill out a form 1 and will enter a 11.5" 5.56.  I'm not 100% sure if this will be the final configuration so I understand I can send in a letter afterwards saying I may mount a upper that is "list out all possible barrel lengths" and "list out all possible calibers".  

Trust Name
City, State

View Quote

You are doing a form 1 suppressor, yet you don't know what to engrave on a form 1 sbr?

Its the same requirements. I hope you are planning more than just name and location for the suppressor.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:57:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You are doing a form 1 suppressor, yet you don't know what to engrave on a form 1 sbr?

Its the same requirements. I hope you are planning more than just name and location for the suppressor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Trust Name

City, State

Suppressor is getting trust name, city, state, caliber and SN.  Receiver engraving threw me because I! Only doing trust name, city, state.  First time engraving so I'd rather ask and get it right.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:00:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Suppressor is getting trust name, city, state, caliber and SN.  Receiver engraving threw me because I! Only doing trust name, city, state.  First time engraving so I'd rather ask and get it right.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trust Name
City, State

Same requirements as the can. trust name, city/state, caliber (multi isn't a caliber), and SN (already there so that's covered)
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:13:19 PM EDT
[#11]
If your starting with a stripped lower that has never been anything then you don't have to engrave anything on it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:36:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If your starting with a stripped lower that has never been anything
View Quote

Edit.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:40:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Correct.  You can even have that 9" blackout and the 11.5" at the same time.  Just make sure all your non-SBRs are in legal configuration.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:43:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If your starting with a stripped lower that has never been anything then you don't have to engrave anything on it. I have two SBR builds and have never had to have them engraved. Here is the most recent.https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8672/15983032155_df8fcc86e7_z.jpg
View Quote

Explain?  You're still making a new firearm (SBR), regardless of the status (rifle, pistol, "firearm") of the lower.  You makee, you markee.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:14:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If your starting with a stripped lower that has never been anything then you don't have to engrave anything on it. I have two SBR builds and have never had to have them engraved. Here is the most recent.https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8672/15983032155_df8fcc86e7_z.jpg
View Quote

Whoops, might want to take a look at the regs again. It's not reallly open to interpretation. Make or Manufacture, it has marking requirements.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:34:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Whoops, might want to take a look at the regs again. It's not reallly open to interpretation. Make or Manufacture, it has marking requirements.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK thanks, I'll take it out tomorrow to be engraved just to be safe.
I did make two different phone calls while submitting my eform and was basically told that if it has never been a pistol or a rifle then you are making a SBR for your trust and it didn't need to be engraved. I was just going by what they told me to do.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:53:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If your starting with a stripped lower that has never been anything then you don't have to engrave anything on it.
View Quote

Even though you edited it, this is still wrong. It doesn't matter what you start with, if you form1 it, the markings are required.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top