Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:00:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:25:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you're planning on suppressing it - I'd say no.

I have a suppressor rated for 300 Win Mag, but they won't support shooting it with a 7.5" 5.56mm barrel - the pressures are too high so close to the chamber, and it would reduce lifespan of the first baffle.
View Quote

There are suppressor companies that do support shooting their suppressors on a 7.5" 5.56. Of course the longer barrels will still be more quiet, but it is doable with the right suppressor selection.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:19:38 PM EDT
[#3]
While not 7.5" I do have a LWRC PSD with the 8.5" barrel. Never a single issue and is my most used rifle. Everyone loves to shoot it. Its not intimidating to look at for most beginners. You can always talk someone small into trying it over a larger rifle.

While I've never thrown on a crazy powered scope to see what it would do I'm positive it would surprise many.

And if you pick any good ammo it surely has the potential to take down most any target if needed.

Love It.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:59:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I can see the appeal of a super compact AR as fun gun. I had a 7.5" upper several years ago, but was never able to get it to run. On the other hand, when I built my 11.5" upper, it ran out of the box. Small sample size, but if you look around, you'll see my experience is common.

You will be giving up a good bit of velocity. It should still be a few hundred FPS faster than 5.7x28, but still not fast enough to fragment standard military ball.

If you want something cool to shoot and don't mind tuning a gun to be reliable, go for it. Your 8" 300blk or a 10.5"+ 5.56 will be ballistically superior.
View Quote

I feel like people exaggerate the unreliability of 7.5 ar's. I often read that 7.5's will either take a lot to get to function properly or will be a constant project that never achieves satisfactory reliability. Maybe manufacturing capabilities weren't as good as they are today and caused 7.5's to get a bad reputation, but it seems like from the SBR forum and ar pistol forum that 7.5's are in fact reliable. I haven't seen a post in either forum from someone who has built one recently that has had any issues with their build. Buy decent parts and I don't see why you can't get a reliable rifle.

Your second point however can't be argued with, the 7.5 dumps energy like nobodies business. If all you want is a fun range toy then this is your set up, if you actually want to do anything like hunt or home defense maybe a 10.5 or 11.5 would be better suited to your needs.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i keep hearing people complain about this giant fireball that the 7.5's have, and how horendus it is, and i have seen some pictures that look fairly unpleasant, i have the silencerco trifecta flash hider on mine, we went and did some night shooting and i was expecting this giant fireball, it was a little worse than my friends 16'' with a birdcage flash hider, i was shooting m193 he was shooting m855

just curious, for all the complaining i was pretty let down by my own results
View Quote

It's like the old saying, opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one.  You surf the forums here long enough you learn that there are plenty of people that talk about things they have no real world experience with (they heard or saw it somewhere) or they tried something one time and then believe anything like it has to have the exact same results even though it's got different parts.  If you want to make fireballs, certain flash hiders/comps/etc designs that do that.  If you don't, then there are other flash hiders/comps/etc designs that reduce it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:42:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's like the old saying, opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one.  You surf the forums here long enough you learn that there are plenty of people that talk about things they have no real world experience with (they heard or saw it somewhere) or they tried something one time and then believe anything like it has to have the exact same results even though it's got different parts.  If you want to make fireballs, certain flash hiders/comps/etc designs that do that.  If you don't, then there are other flash hiders/comps/etc designs that reduce it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
i keep hearing people complain about this giant fireball that the 7.5's have, and how horendus it is, and i have seen some pictures that look fairly unpleasant, i have the silencerco trifecta flash hider on mine, we went and did some night shooting and i was expecting this giant fireball, it was a little worse than my friends 16'' with a birdcage flash hider, i was shooting m193 he was shooting m855

Like he said if you want a fireball you can have one ....
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:33:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss148/Easy_E_photos/flash_zpsricnp0zi.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't want a fireball, I just find it funny that on here the 7.5 gets such a bad rep for being unreliable and huge fireballs, and how bad the muzzle blast is, (i can say the muzzle blast is quite a bit more than a full size) and how its just a range toy that was all
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:16:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't want a fireball, I just find it funny that on here the 7.5 gets such a bad rep for being unreliable and huge fireballs, and how bad the muzzle blast is, (i can say the muzzle blast is quite a bit more than a full size) and how its just a range toy that was all
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That picture was more for captexas and yes the 7.5 gets a bad rap. I have one that I shoot in a match friends put together. It runs like a top and makes good hits out to a hundred yards. My wife and daughters shoot it well with no complaints. I helped a few guys sort out their uppers and they run great now.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:25:21 PM EDT
[#9]
My 7.5 has fallen into my "go to rifle" slot.

I would say I have 3 or 4 thousand rounds through it and cant remember ever having a malfunction. I hold just as good of groups with it as my 16" rifles at 100 yards and have shot it out to 300 with good success. For me, something about the size and setup just makes it easy to shoot, I can run it markedly faster than my 16" rifles. .  

The drawbacks are that you loose a lot of velocity, it would be hard to suppress and its crazy loud... double ear pro loud (I have a JM break on it for shooting 3 gun).

O' and a 7.5 with a 22 conversion kit and suppressor is about as fun as it gets without a giggle switch.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#11]
nice, yeah i have had 0 issues with mine, it has a non adjustable gas block and still runs like a champ, getting ready to order a silencer co saker k to use on it and my 16'', it is my pdw, los of velocity is not a deal breaker to me, to me its having a sub machine gun size with all the same parts and mags as my full size rifle, and even at 23-2500 fps, i bet it hurts, and if anything 556 usually travels in packs of 20-30
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:46:07 PM EDT
[#12]
7.5 Voodoo Barrel, runs 100% with wolf even.

Surefire MB.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:40:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Do it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 2:18:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Why stop at 7.5?!  Olympic Arms makes a great 6.5 upper.  No problems with mine and it shoots anything from greeen tip (with a huge fireball) to cheap wolf without a hicup!  Not gonna make a 1000 yd shot with it, but it's tiny, and shooting it is more fun that you should be allowed to have with your clothes on!

ParkerNT
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 3:02:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top