Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2015 11:59:53 AM EDT
So far everytime I practice on aluminum it looks like shit.

Any techniques used to make it look good?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:35:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So far everytime I oractice on aluminum it looks like shit.

View Quote

Yes, first put the  lower into a box.

Next put the box into your vehicle.

Drive your vehicle to a local engraver or class 3 shop. (mailing the lower negates the need for driving)

Then, hand box (with lower inside) to a qualified engraver shop. (A trophy shop or Class 3 dealer that does engraving will work fine)

Next, wait for engraving to be completed, (this could take 1 hour to several days)

Finally, get engraved lower back from said engraver.

Enjoy, you now have an aesthetically pleasing, fully engraved lower that you will cherish for years.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:51:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Drive your vehicle to a local engraver or class 3 shop. (mailing the lower negates the need for driving)

Then, hand box (with lower inside) to a qualified engraver shop. (A trophy shop or Class 3 dealer that does engraving will work fine)

Next, wait for engraving to be completed, (this could take 1 hour to several days)

Enjoy, you now have an aesthetically pleasing, fully engraved lower that you will cherish for years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...

Although I would do some research and find a place local that can do it while you wait.

I know many have done it, but I wouldn't feel right about having to mail it on the 1% chance it getting lost/damaged.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#3]
+1
OP it's not that expensive.  A lot of places will do it for under $50 (trophy shops, etc)

Even reputable gunsmiths will do it for around $75.

And there is no way to make it look good with a dremel.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:00:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Like others have said, paying a professional is the best option. If you must do it yourself, do it on the UPPER receiver. It is legal to engrave the lower, the upper, or the barrel, and the upper receiver is the cheapest to replace if you screw up or change your mind later. Also, consider buying a cheap letter punch set instead of using the Dremel.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:50:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Practice a little bit, and just do it. Get it deep enough the first time so you don't want to try to go back over it.

Doesn't matter if they're not perfectly straight, or all exactly the same size. Just do it. It'll be legal, and won't make the firearm any less accurate.

Have your aluminum black ready to apply as soon as you're done.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#6]
It is a gun, not a keep sake or collectable.

Sure it would look better if I paid the only shop I can find within an hours drive $60, but really it is going to get wet, full of mud, scratched, dinged,  and I am getting tired of not being able to get there.

I don't ever see myself selling it, so who cares if it is not perfect as long as it is legal.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sure it would look better if I paid the only shop I can find within an hours drive $60, but really it is going to get wet, full of mud, scratched, dinged,  and I am getting tired of not being able to get there.

I don't ever see myself selling it, so who cares if it is not perfect as long as it is legal.
View Quote

Here you go then...
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:51:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I layed my dremel tool on a table and held on tight and slowly moved it along. But I was doing my titanium suppressor tube so it was easier to work with, but I bet you could do the same thing...

My dremel engraving was done at 4 am the night before I test fired it so I was really tired, I practiced once, and it came out only slightly worse then the trophy shop did with my AR lower engraving...
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#9]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here you go then...

Damn, that thread is giving me second thoughts.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:30:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here you go then...

yolo!
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:47:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here you go then...

Oh, come on now, just do it!

And post pics.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:41:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here you go then...

I saw a dremel don M16 lower done like that. It went for thousands less than other RR m16 conversions.

If form1's ever cease to be a thing and you can own only stuff on the registry already it could cost you thousands of dollars.

I'm sure the guy that did the m16 though "So what? I can always form 1 another one."  
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:58:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I just used a label maker to print off the info to trace. Having something to trace comes out pretty good, all my form 1s have been done this way.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:46:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Print what you want on paper, tape it on with scotch tape, and write over the printed text with a $20 hand engraver.  If you practice and set the engraver so it goes deep enough with only 1 pass it looks good if you take your time and practice once or twice.  Do it deep enough the first time, if you make more than one pass it starts to look like doodoo.  Use a font that has thinnest line possible, it will keep your lines straighter.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:22:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1!
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 8:21:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I saw a dremel don M16 lower done like that. It went for thousands less than other RR m16 conversions.

If form1's ever cease to be a thing and you can own only stuff on the registry already it could cost you thousands of dollars.

I'm sure the guy that did the m16 though "So what? I can always form 1 another one."  
View Quote

My thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And post pics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here you go then...

And post pics.

+1 have some balls, and confidence in your abilities. Be sure to post pics.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:41:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I am generally cheap but I figured that for something I will own for the rest of my life that amortizing the $60 for the engraving over 40+ years it was probably money well spent to have it not look like $hit.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 1:37:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Any machine shop with a CNC milling machine can do it for you. My friend has a Tormach CNC mill in his garage and has done all but one of mine. My first one was done with a laser at a C3 manufacturer, only because he did it for free when I bought the lower from him.

If you're never planning to sell it, that's going to be a long time regretting what you did.

Laser:

A few of my CNC mill jobs:

Do it right.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:13:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I got it laser engraved, came out great

thanks for all the advice
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:21:16 PM EDT
[#21]
I've put it in other threads, but I did mine with a dremel. Locked it up in a vice I have. Printed out a thick vinyl stencil and took my time. The letters arent the same and depth varies, but it works.

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:37:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I got it laser engraved, came out great

thanks for all the advice
View Quote

You made the right choice!
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:06:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here you go then...

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 6:25:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here you go then...

Why? Be a man
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 8:21:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've put it in other threads, but I did mine with a dremel. Locked it up in a vice I have. Printed out a thick vinyl stencil and took my time. The letters arent the same and depth varies, but it works.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w424/cfaulkner0006/IMAG07271.jpg
View Quote

That does look great.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Attempting to engrave with a dremmel is difficult as it's a rotating bit and will walk away from you if you're not careful.
I'd look into an engraver that just vibrates.
With minimal practice, you'll get great results, and save some money.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
This. Do it yourself.  I did and it came out like shit.

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here you go then...

Good, you found my thread.

That gun had over 500 rounds through it now and works just fine!
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 6:04:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w424/cfaulkner0006/IMAG07271.jpg
View Quote

That is so good, I wouldn't believe you did that with a dremel unless you showed video!

I wonder if you have a drill press, take a engraving bit like the one for the dremel, and use the X,Y adjustments to engrave the letters. Kind of like an etch a sketch
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 6:16:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I've done DIY twice. Results aren't good but it works for me. Looks even better with spray paint camo over it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Which dremel bit did you use for that?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top