Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2015 2:36:34 AM EDT
Thinking of a few possibilities for another SBR, wanted to get feedback from
those who already have (or have shot) the options I'm considering.

Quick background:  already have most "basics," e.g., misc AR's, an AK SBR, Uzi, etc... not
interested in any more of these right now.

So, what do you think of the following--

- "Mare's Leg" lever action (most likely in .357)

this video shows the concept nicely-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXc0rm6dzVs
call it a "Cowboy PDW" or whatever, would be a handy little rifle and definitely something
a bit different.  Would expect excellent suppression with .38 Spcl.
Easy to implement (just put on a Rossi 92 stock when the Frm 1 clears)

- Vector V53 SBR (HK53 clone)

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/vector-arms-v53-pistol-223-detail.html?Itemid=0
As above, very easy SBR to make:  just put on an HK stock after the paperwork
clears.
Cons:  9.5" barrel is loud; probably won't suppress that well.

- SCAR 16s
I've seen some pretty neat pics of these around.
Main downside is a bit more expensive/involved project than either of the two above.
Also, in terms of just plinking around, 5.56 out of an SBR really needs to be suppressed.

- KRISS Vector
Definitely distinctive.  Need to do more research on converting to SBR (I would
favor purchasing the pistol, filing the Frm 1, then add the stock if that's practical)

- Ruger 10/22
Given I already own a 10/22 at present, could just eFile the Frm 1 and finish up the
project at a later date.  Lots of accessories available for this platform, though I'd probably
have the barrel custom shortened & threaded.

- AO Thompson
This can be purchased as a factory-built SBR straight from AO:
https://www.auto-ordnance.com/Firearms/Thompson-M1SB.asp
...though I think it would be cheaper and much faster to put a stock on the pistol:
https://www.auto-ordnance.com/Firearms/Thompson-TA510D.asp

- Other:  

- put a stock on a Glock
- Vz. 61 Scorpion
- something else?

Those are the main possibilities I can think of at the moment; looking at it in terms of what's
likely to get done, not surprisingly I tend to go for cheaper/simpler construction first (i.e.,
put a stock on a registered pistol).

Thanks for your input!
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:52:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I've done the Kriss.  Very easy conversion.  The stock is around $100 and isn't hard to change out.  Youtube has a video.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:11:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Never been impressed with the Kriss. You could build a dedicated gas operated ar15 in .45 ACP. They make lowers that take greasegun mags and the uppers are available from a couple different people. These things shoot way nicer than a blowback .45.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#3]
The Scar and Vector are cool options that I have played with.  The noise doesn't really bother me but YMMV.  

I briefly considered both but eventually decided to go with a San Swiss 553 Pistol.  I couldn't be happier and everybody at the range ends up simultaneously deaf and jealous haha.

You should form 1 your 10/22 in any event.  Like you said, lots of options for the platform and no need to actually assemble it now.

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:09:25 AM EDT
[#4]
MP5 clone? 9mm Qc10 Suppressed?

If not, I vote G53 clone. Suppressed.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 4:45:45 PM EDT
[#5]
MP5 clone? 9mm Qc10 Suppressed?
View Quote

Thanks, I actually already have a dedicated 9 mm AR lower / SBR;
otherwise, the QC10 option does look interesting.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 1:56:32 PM EDT
[#6]
- "Mare's Leg" lever action (most likely in .357)
View Quote

I would go with the Mare's Leg Suppressed.  Cool, Quite, Plus not everybody on the block is gonna have one.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 2:57:09 AM EDT
[#7]
MP5, all the way.

Lots of new POFs are being imported, I got a pistol for $1500 and is a very well made gun. Get it engraved, form 1 it, pop a pin, replace end cap with stock. If you've never fired an MP5, they are silky smooth.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 7:13:58 AM EDT
[#8]
MP5 hands down. Hold out for the Zenith MKE imports (with push pins!).

I just did a C93 Pistol 53 clone. It IS loud, both suppressed and not. The true 53 stocks are expensive. Ton-o-fun blaster with a pack though!

I'd go SCAR for ultimate 5.56 SBR win.

I don't have one though, but my buddy's is awesome. I'm saving for a 17.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top