Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2015 5:48:46 PM EDT
Anyone have measurements for a AR15 with a 11.5" barrel and the stock fully collapsed?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I put 30.5, it was approved.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:16:25 PM EDT
[#2]
With an A2 flash-hider and MagPul CTR - precisely 28".

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:35:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I put 27.75 and it was approved... i think you can get away with a pretty decent spread
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#4]
People posting "I put XX and it was approved" has nothing to do with it. The examiners don't know what components you're using, so they're not agreeing you're right. They're checking names, serial numbers, etc...and using your specs simply to log the firearm into the system.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Unless that A2 is pinned & welded, or silver soldered, it's not part of the measurement.

Quoted:
Anyone have measurements for a AR15 with a 11.5" barrel and the stock fully collapsed?

Hopefully you just want that as info...because the measurement that goes on a Form 1/4 is with stock fully extended.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:56:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
People posting "I put XX and it was approved" has nothing to do with it. The examiners don't know what components you're using, so they're not agreeing you're right. They're checking names, serial numbers, etc...and using your specs simply to log the firearm into the system.

Unless that A2 is pinned & welded, or silver soldered, it's not part of the measurement.

Hopefully you just want that as info...because the measurement that goes on a Form 1/4 is with stock fully extended.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, 30.5 should be the right answer in most cases... not that I think it really matters unless you put something ridiculous like 10"
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#6]
From the end of the barrel without a muzzle device to the end of a standard buffer tube is going to be > < 26''.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:41:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh? I thought you always measured the rifle with the stock fully collapsed. But then, that was Michigan's law on determining OAL before SBRs became legal. I've never done this before

So what is a good average for a fully extended stock with 11.5" barrel? 30.5?

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:08:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Oh? I thought you always measured the rifle with the stock fully collapsed. But then, that was Michigan's law on determining OAL before SBRs became legal. I've never done this before

So what is a good average for a fully extended stock with 11.5" barrel? 30.5?
View Quote

ATF's definition is fully extended stock, and only includes muzzle devices that are permanently attached. Common sense would say that if you're building a Short Barreled Rifle, you would want the shortest measurement...but ATF regs and common sense don't always get along.

Barrel + 19" covers a majority of AR builds.

The latest Form 1 even includes this:

j. Description of Firearm and Markings. (1) Item 4a. If you are modifying an existing firearm, enter the name and location of the original manufacturer. If you are creating the firearm, enter your name, city and state. (2) Item 4b. The types of NFAfirearms are listed in instruction1c. (3) Item 4c. Specify one caliber or gauge. If there is another designation, indicate the designation in item 4h. (4) Item 4d. Show the model designation (if known). (5) Items 4e and 4f. Specify one barrel length and overall length in items 4e and 4f as applicable. Note: if the firearm has a folding or collapsible stock, the overall measurement is to be made with the stock extended. (6) Item 4g. Do not alter or modify the serial number of an existing firearm. Enter the existing serial number in item 4g. to register the firearm. (7) Markings: The maker is required to mark the firearm with his name, city and state. All markings are to be in compliance with 27 CFR 478.92 and 479.102.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:34:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I think it's hilarious that muzzle devices have to be pinned/welded or silver soldered, but the ATF could (apparently) give two shits if you have a 2" buttpad secured with duck tape.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top