Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2015 9:41:22 PM EDT
I currently have an 11.5" upper on a lower with a Sig Brace.  I have a Form 1 submitted to SBR another lower.  My original intent was to have 1 SBR lower and 1 pistol lower, and move the upper back and forth and possibly obtain another short barreled upper that could be used on either.  The reason for not SBRing two lowers is that I live 6 miles from the KY/TN state line and crossing state lines with a pistol is easier than with an SBR.  However now that the ATF has declared that an AR with a short barreled upper and a Sig Brace is a pistol if you fire it like a pistol, and an SBR if you shoulder it, I have a question.

If I SBR the lower w/ the Sig Brace, can I take it across state lines without notifying the ATF if I never shoulder it and fire it as an SBR in the other state?  I know that an SBR lower is only considered an SBR when configured as such, but in this case, the configuration doesn't change, only the method in which I would use it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:14:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Best advice is to stop the charade.  Form 1 the pistol lower and put a real stock on it.  Form 20 when you need to cross state lines.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:30:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd go with the original plan. Keep a pistol lower handy for travel if you don't already have a 5320.20 form approved.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:06:56 AM EDT
[#3]
You can file a .20 for up to a year. SBR them both and file a .20 for a year months in advance.

MAHA
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:44:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Best advice is to stop the charade.
View Quote

Best advice is to never stop resisting.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:48:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Best advice is to stop the charade.

If you're really resisting then why even bother getting a Form 1, why not just slap a stock on it and call it good!?!  Everyone likes to act all tough and anti government from behind their key board, or when giving others advice.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:44:00 AM EDT
[#6]
SBR it.

The pistol brace is, well, a Pistol Brace.  

We don't do ourselves any favors by treating the NFA as something to avoid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top