Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2015 8:33:34 PM EDT
I get my first SBR tax stamp last week, yahooo.  But bad news, the engraver encountered a malfunction and needs to refinish the lower and re-engrave.
Would like to discuss worst case scenario...like if the lower gets trashed, or lost.

Now I am reading that you can write a letter to the ATF requesting a refund, if the SBR has not been built.
But does built literally mean complete SBR upper assembly?  Because I have a 11.5 inch barrel being shipped to me, so I will have the SBR parts...just not assembled.  

Am I in the clear with the following steps below:

1. SBR registered lower has engraving mishap; and it's FUBAR
2. Write letter to ATF requesting a refund, stating the SBR was not built, explaning the engraving went wrong
3. I have SBR upper parts, but keep them unassembled
4. register another lower, but engrave first!
5. wait for new SBR tax stamp, then assemble 11.5 inch upper

Thanks!

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#1]
it's not an sbr until it has a short barreled upper attached.  if the lower is trashed you can request a refund and submit another F1 for another lower.

had to be one hell of a mishap to ruin a lower by engraving it
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn, that really sucks man!

Hopefully whoever screwed up will complicate you and the ATF will put you at the top of the list for another stamp.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:49:14 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the info!  was just wondering what to do in case of worst case scenario (paranoid)
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:16:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Might be worth contacting the lower manufacturer to see if they can replace your current lower with a new one and the same SN.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:43:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Might be worth contacting the lower manufacturer to see if they can replace your current lower with a new one and the same SN.
View Quote

That's and interesting idea... worth a shot.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:24:18 PM EDT
[#6]
What kind of mishap occurred that the lower is fubared?  Can another engraver simply perform the work in another location on the lower?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Scott_S,

Hello; I am sure the engraver will take care of me.

I was just wondering what to do if in case the lower was lost ...and I had a pile of SBR upper parts.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What kind of mishap occurred that the lower is fubared?  Can another engraver simply perform the work in another location on the lower?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I agree.  It can't be any worse than the member here who used a dremel.

Just engrave somewhere else unless you care about it being perfect.

Quoted:

I was just wondering what to do if in case the lower was lost ...and I had a pile of SBR upper parts.

As someone else said, inform the ATF that the rifle was never build and request a refund/denial ?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:21:33 PM EDT
[#9]

I agree.  It can't be any worse than the member here who used a dremel.

View Quote

That's got to be an AR15 classic
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:16:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And not allowed. Someone should be along to cite exactly where, but this has come up several times. The ATF says no.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:21:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I just had this happen where I dropped two lowers off at my engraver, one for me and one for my friend, my engraver accidently put my city on my friends lower. He fixed it by milling out a box the same depth as the original engraving , he then re engraved it inside the box , taped it off and spayed it with duracoat. . It turned out looking nice and have had another friend request his to be done this way because they liked the look.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:27:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And not allowed. Someone should be along to cite exactly where, but this has come up several times. The ATF says no.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see what the problem would be if the original lower is destroyed.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:25:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just had this happen where I dropped two lowers off at my engraver, one for me and one for my friend, my engraver accidently put my city on my friends lower. He fixed it by milling out a box the same depth as the original engraving , he then re engraved it inside the box , taped it off and spayed it with duracoat. . It turned out looking nice and have had another friend request his to be done this way because they liked the look.
View Quote

ha!  glad it turned out well for your friend.  that actually sounds like it would look pretty slick
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:37:40 PM EDT
[#14]
IM me if you can't get it resolved, and I will send you contact info for my guy.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:53:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neither do I, but common sense and the ATF don't usually mix. It has come up before, I think mainly with suppressors, but the ATF says no.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:08:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Neither do I, but common sense and the ATF don't usually mix. It has come up before, I think mainly with suppressors, but the ATF says no.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought that was only on pre 86 MG receivers?I thought I read in the suppressor section where someone had a baffle strike and they made him a new can with the same S/N or maybe I am bat shit crazy and just thought all of that happened.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#17]

I thought that was only on pre 86 MG receivers?I thought I read in the suppressor section where someone had a baffle strike and they made him a new can with the same S/N or maybe I am bat shit crazy and just thought all of that happened.
View Quote

I thought I read about that as well, regarding the company making the dude a new can with the same serial number.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top