Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2015 2:31:39 AM EDT
Looking to put together a lightweight 10.5" upper.  

I'm looking for a properly gassed barrel, mainly because it will be shot suppressed often, and I'm a lefty, and overgassing seems to suck more due to getting ejection port blast.  

I currently have a Noveske switchblock 10.5", and a 8.2" Noveske 300blk, and both shoot excellent.  

I'd love this barrel http://www.rainierarms.com/noveske-n4-light-5-56mm-barrel-10-5-lp, but it is out of stock, and they typically seem a little tricky to track down.

Basically, what other barrels can I count on not being overgassed?  

Was going to try Daniel Defense.  I'd consider LMT, but I don't think they sell just barrels.  

Looking for a lighter weight profile.  

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:47:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Why not just run an adjustable gas block and have no worry on the over gassing issue? Then you can run any ammo efficiently and choose any barrel to your liking.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:18:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Definitely thought of that possibility, but I want something akin to the switch block.  Something that has a suppressed and unsuppressed setting, easily adjustable in the field, no tools or BS required.  

I'm not completely up on all the adjustable offerings, but it seems the popular ones are either allen key or use little plates and I'm not to keen on those designs.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:24:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Syrac Ordnance gen II is g2g.  Allen key adjustmented, and a spring loaded detent which clicks and locks each setting into place.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:39:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Syrac Ordnance gen II is g2g.  Allen key adjustmented, and a spring loaded detent which clicks and locks each setting into place.
View Quote

That's exactly what I run. Easy quick adjustment.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:47:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys didn't bother reading.  Syrac doesn't meet the OP's requirements...not even close.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:55:54 AM EDT
[#6]
OP,  it will be tough for anything other than a Switchblock to meet your needs.  An alternative to a gas block solution might be the WAR receiver.

If you go with out adjustable gas,  it helps to use the A5 buffer system and an LMT enhanced bolt carrier.  The gas blowback into the upper when suppressed is noticeably reduced.

ETA:  I don't know of any 10.5" barrel on the commercial market that won't run the gas at least a little rich.  Mfg's would rather err on that side to make sure it works with weak ammo unsuppressed.  Last 10.5" I bought was an Aero Precision and it's a bit overgassed for suppressed use IMO.  I use a fixed port gas block on it to reduce gas feed.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:14:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You guys didn't bother reading.  Syrac doesn't meet the OP's requirements...not even close.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I did read the OP's requirements. There is a reason multiple members have made the same suggestion. Thanks for your evaluation.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:28:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No, I did read the OP's requirements. There is a reason multiple members have made the same suggestion. Thanks for your evaluation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guy said he wants something with a suppressed and unsuppressed setting that adjusts without tools.  Syrac doesn't meet either of those needs.  Nor will any of the set screw adjustment type blocks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:36:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The guy said he wants something with a suppressed and unsuppressed setting that adjusts without tools.  Syrac doesn't meet either of those needs.  Nor will any of the set screw adjustment type blocks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Govnah adjustable gas block then?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:51:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Govnah adjustable gas block then?
View Quote

+1 http://micromoa.com/
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:59:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry for being an a-hole above...fighting a migraine this morning and I get really grumpy when that's going on.

I think the Govnah is a better overall design than the set screw adjustable blocks, but I don't think the OP wants one of those either (per comments above).  It does, however, allow for two or three fixed positions and in most cases adjust without a 'tool'.  Something has to be used to push the plate through a hole/slot in the handguard and a cartridge can be used for that typically if nothing else is available.  It's also about as hard to find in stock, it seems, as a "properly" gassed 10.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 7:09:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sorry for being an a-hole above...fighting a migraine this morning and I get really grumpy when that's going on.

I think the Govnah is a better overall design than the set screw adjustable blocks, but I don't think the OP wants one of those either (per comments above).  It does, however, allow for two or three fixed positions and in most cases adjust without a 'tool'.  Something has to be used to push the plate through a hole/slot in the handguard and a cartridge can be used for that typically if nothing else is available.  It's also about as hard to find in stock, it seems, as a "properly" gassed 10.5" barrel.
View Quote

10.5" MicroMOA barrel in Stock
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 7:42:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The gas blocks aren't though, and it's hard to catch them in stock. Not a knock on Micromoa, they just have a lot of demand for their product.  I like their barrels too, and I'd recommend a barrel/block combo, but the one linked there is a medium profile and the OP wants a lightweight.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:32:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:44:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks guys!
Just getting back from the Shot Show....we purposely left quantities low on some items as we have more barrels than blocks on hand which is why we only have the combos and uppers in stock.  We sold some of the 10.5" Govm't profile barrel combos when out at the Shot Show but kept one extra on hand in the event there was a order mix up so I've updated the site with the last one to be available: http://micromoa.mybigcommerce.com/10-5-carbine-5-56-nato-1-7-govmt-contour-barrel-w-govnah/
http://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-j1m3pz/products/112/images/333/govnah-10-5-car-govmt__32176.1421535564.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Regarding Govnah's we dropped off a batch at the EDM shop before leaving for Vegas so they have been there for a week now.  Will have to call today but I'd suspect/hope they are done are close to it.  Then they go out for black oxide.  So only a couple weeks out if things go as planned.

To the OP, sorry our Govnah design doesn't meet your requirements.  Regarding being properly gassed is dependent on many things in regards to the civilian market.  What ammo? What buffer? What buffer system?  Carbine, A5, Rifle?  What BCG?  What spring?  
For military, it is easy as all the variables are known which is why Crane specs out the 10.3" to be .070 since they know all variables.  

We actually do sell our 10.5's individually ported at .070.  Which will NOT run Tula or super heavy buffer etc...
However even at .070", when adding a suppressor it needs to be down to around .049" running milspec ammo.   We port our combo 10.5's barrels at .082 which is what DD and Noveske port their 10.5's at (at least the ones I've seen as well as reported to me).  That is huge and will run any commercial ammo including Tula.  
But we have our combo regulator plates set to .070/.049/.082 for someone running a 'milspec' configuration or .073/.052/.082 for someone that is running more commercial ammo for optimal-unsuppressed/suppressed/adverse.  So it can run anything.....optimally.

You may want to check out Gemtech's new (SBC) Suppressed Bolt Carrier which has a suppressed / unsuppressed setting.  I talked to them about it on Friday and while the regulator can be removed, I was told there were no plans to offer different ones to make it modular.  The BCG does have to be removed but can then be adjusted with a screwdriver or small coin like a dime.

Good luck with your build.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The gas blocks aren't though, and it's hard to catch them in stock. Not a knock on Micromoa, they just have a lot of demand for their product.  I like their barrels too, and I'd recommend a barrel/block combo, but the one linked there is a medium profile and the OP wants a lightweight.

Thanks guys!
Just getting back from the Shot Show....we purposely left quantities low on some items as we have more barrels than blocks on hand which is why we only have the combos and uppers in stock.  We sold some of the 10.5" Govm't profile barrel combos when out at the Shot Show but kept one extra on hand in the event there was a order mix up so I've updated the site with the last one to be available: http://micromoa.mybigcommerce.com/10-5-carbine-5-56-nato-1-7-govmt-contour-barrel-w-govnah/
http://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-j1m3pz/products/112/images/333/govnah-10-5-car-govmt__32176.1421535564.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Regarding Govnah's we dropped off a batch at the EDM shop before leaving for Vegas so they have been there for a week now.  Will have to call today but I'd suspect/hope they are done are close to it.  Then they go out for black oxide.  So only a couple weeks out if things go as planned.

To the OP, sorry our Govnah design doesn't meet your requirements.  Regarding being properly gassed is dependent on many things in regards to the civilian market.  What ammo? What buffer? What buffer system?  Carbine, A5, Rifle?  What BCG?  What spring?  
For military, it is easy as all the variables are known which is why Crane specs out the 10.3" to be .070 since they know all variables.  

We actually do sell our 10.5's individually ported at .070.  Which will NOT run Tula or super heavy buffer etc...
However even at .070", when adding a suppressor it needs to be down to around .049" running milspec ammo.   We port our combo 10.5's barrels at .082 which is what DD and Noveske port their 10.5's at (at least the ones I've seen as well as reported to me).  That is huge and will run any commercial ammo including Tula.  
But we have our combo regulator plates set to .070/.049/.082 for someone running a 'milspec' configuration or .073/.052/.082 for someone that is running more commercial ammo for optimal-unsuppressed/suppressed/adverse.  So it can run anything.....optimally.

You may want to check out Gemtech's new (SBC) Suppressed Bolt Carrier which has a suppressed / unsuppressed setting.  I talked to them about it on Friday and while the regulator can be removed, I was told there were no plans to offer different ones to make it modular.  The BCG does have to be removed but can then be adjusted with a screwdriver or small coin like a dime.

Good luck with your build.

That's VERY interesting..

I've been waiting for a Govnah for a long time for my 12'' though Better part of 6 months, unless I missed them in stock at some point.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:01:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 7:39:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Good information fellas, thanks.

I did see Gemtech's SBC, thought that was interesting.

I think I've been a bit spoiled with the switchblock.  Thought about just getting another one, but I really want to run a 9" rail or so, and would need some way of accessing it.  

I'll probably just press with getting a good quality barrel, build it and then determine if I'll want to play with adjustable gas.  Who knows, lots of folks say its not that bad.  Even shooting my switchblock on the unsuppressed setting with the suppressor isn't terrible, so I guess if I get a Noveske barrel, that's about what I'd expect.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#18]
The MircoMOA barrel and Govnah combo does what you want and is in stock, and is way less than any Noveske barrel will be, much less a barrel and Swithcblock .

If weight on a 10.5" is that big a deal, ask amphibian how much the Govnah and barrel weigh then decide how much you are willing to balance the function you want in the configuration you want for the availability and prices.

I don't like that the Govnah is heavier and uglier than other adjustable gas blocks. I love the simplicity and looks of the Switchblock, but the Govnah has some compelling attributes that are unavailable elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I went with the WAR upper. It is quick and easy and i can have any handguard other than maybe a daniel defense. I also use the JP silent carrier and it is extremely quiet and not gassy at all. This is with a 10.5 stainless noveske barrel.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I went with the WAR upper. It is quick and easy and i can have any handguard other than maybe a daniel defense. I also use the JP silent carrier and it is extremely quiet and not gassy at all. This is with a 10.5 stainless noveske barrel.
View Quote

I was reading on there web page that the gas port has to be a certain size.  Any truth to this?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#21]
My ballistic advantage barrel has been great
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top