Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2015 10:40:58 PM EDT
i've got two BCM 11.5 SBRs, and i want to cut one down to 10.5. anyone ever done this? any issues with gas port size? i'm guessing not, given it's only 1" of barrel. the 10.5 will ultimately host a 5.56 Specwar.

right now i have an H2 and it runs like a champ with everything; it also runs fine with an H and H3. appreciate any input.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:43:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
i've got two BCM 11.5 SBRs, and i want to cut one down to 10.5. anyone ever done this? any issues with gas port size? i'm guessing not, given it's only 1" of barrel. the 10.5 will ultimately host a 5.56 Specwar.

right now i have an H2 and it runs like a champ with everything; it also runs fine with an H and H3. appreciate any input.
View Quote

I was in basically the exact same situation as you, except I went 10.75 (with no changes made to the gas port) and also run a 556 Specwar on it.  

Currently have a BCM H2 in there and it runs flawlessly both suppressed and unsuppressed, just like it did before.

I think you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:47:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Also should add that I only shoot full power 556 through it.  So not sure how it would fair with weaker ammo.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:58:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Also should add that I only shoot full power 556 through it.  So not sure how it would fair with weaker ammo.
View Quote
I appreciate your input. Who'd you use to cut it down?

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 4:50:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Adco cut my 11.5 to 10.3. Shoots like a dream.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 6:20:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Adco is the place for AR barrel work.
Satisfied customer here! Send it with confidence.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:16:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ADCO, although I wouldn't use them again... I'll probably catch a ton of flak here for that opinion, but they initially screwed up what should have been a simple job.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:29:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Just curious, but why would you cut just 1" off the barrel??

What do you expect to gain?

Serious question.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Serious question.
View Quote
Just looking to gain an inch less of overall length, and do something different.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:30:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Serious question.
View Quote

Seems odd to me as well.  The 11.5" BCM barrel is there signature SBR barrel. BCM explains why the 11.5 is betrer than 10.5

I was going to go the 11.5 BCM path but got a hell of a deal on 10.5 barrels.  

Why not just buy another barrel and start over?
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:52:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
ADCO, although I wouldn't use them again... I'll probably catch a ton of flak here for that opinion, but they initially screwed up what should have been a simple job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

why'd you decide to do 10.75?

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:55:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Seems odd to me as well.  The 11.5" BCM barrel is there signature SBR barrel. BCM explains why the 11.5 is betrer than 10.5

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Serious question.

i've read everything about why the 11.5 is better than the 10.5, which is why i ended up getting two 11.5 uppers for two of my SBRs. they shoot great, and i have absolutely no complaints.

mostly i just want something different, and to change things up. figured if i'm sending my barrel to adco for a $25 barrel thread concentricity check (for the can), i might as well just pay another $35 and have them cut it down (instead of spending a couple hundred bucks on a quality 10.5" barrel). again, not really looking to gain much other than a slightly shorter barrel and have something different than my identical setups.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I gotcha.  Just curious that's all.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 4:03:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Serious question.
View Quote

if the uppers are unsuppressed then i'd agree but once you put a can on there, ever inch counts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top