Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2015 9:44:01 PM EDT
Hey guys,
I'm about to start piecing together the upper for my AR SBR.  11.5 inch barrel is the plan.  I see BCM has some options...

- hammer forged, lightweight profile
- Standard lightweight profile
- 410 Stainless Heavy profile

I plan to use a suppressor on the rifle.  Part of me is thinking that with the weight of the can on the end, it might make sense to use a heavier barrel.  But another part of me doesn't think it will matter with an SBR, as its not exactly a precision rifle.

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:55:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a HBar 11.5" and a light 10.5". I much prefer the light barrel. The heavy barrel is a pig.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:19:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Light is the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:51:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Light is the way to go.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:14:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Im going with a 10.5 1in7 m4 profile.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:45:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I have both, lighter is better, especially with a suppressor.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:18:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Lighter is better. You could also consider their elw barrel but you would have to buy the entire upper. They don't sell the elw tapered barrel separately.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:03:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I think you should go lightweight and make a Commando like I did!

They only get heavier when you start adding stuff to them. Make it all QD, so you can remove whatever you don't need at any particular time.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#8]
BCM ELW or ELW-F complete upper w/ free BCM BCG.  Optimal solution.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a HBar 11.5" and a light 10.5". I much prefer the light barrel. The heavy barrel is a pig.
View Quote

Yeah, this.

I've got a 11.5" HBAR and a 10.5" lightweight.  I much prefer the light barrel.  POI shift with a Triple-X Warrior is pretty much the same on both of them.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:53:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I much prefer the lightweight profile.  Take a look at the BCM ELW Fluted
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Light weight barrel.

Keep in mind there wont be a massive weight savings on a 10" or 11" barrel, probably just a few oz

I know when i built my MK18 with 10.3" DD barrel i looked into the LW and Gov profiles, and the weight that was saved on the LW barrel was offset by the additional weight of the heavier gas block needed for the smaller 0.625" diameter barrels so i went with the Gov profile which was easier and cheaper to find.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:16:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I went lightweight.

My barrel hasn't got here yet.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Good choice. I have a 10.5" heavy Mk18ish clone and a 10.5" pencil XM-177ish clone and the difference is striking, even before I added the chunky aimpoint to the Mk18. Heavy makes sense when you need to shoot a lot of rounds a long way very accurately, so I see no reason to have that on an SBR that is meant to fill the role of a SMG more than a battle rifle.  If my light barrel heats to the point of a noticeable loss of real world accuracy, I probably should have brought a bigger gun.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:48:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I went heavy on my 10.5 SBR, I think its balanced perfectly with my ubr stock. I could see it being too front heavy with a standard carbine stock.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:14:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Working on a lightweight 10.5" upper presently. I chose a Seekins Precision 10.5" .223 Wylde with radial fluting to knock down some of the weight.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:58:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I just went from HBAR to gov profile on my 11.5 and it's night and day.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:30:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Light weight barrel.

Keep in mind there wont be a massive weight savings on a 10" or 11" barrel, probably just a few oz

I know when i built my MK18 with 10.3" DD barrel i looked into the LW and Gov profiles, and the weight that was saved on the LW barrel was offset by the additional weight of the heavier gas block needed for the smaller 0.625" diameter barrels so i went with the Gov profile which was easier and cheaper to find.
View Quote

While the difference is not massive, it is definately noticeable.  Espically noticeable if you carry your gun for several hours at a time.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:01:12 PM EDT
[#18]
The difference in the bcm ss hbar and light weight will be much larger than the difference between the light weight and gov of the two respective standard uppers, Id guess under 2oz since the area under the handguards are the same. Just something to keep in mind, especially if you're on a budget and want to surf the EE and find a deal on the gov.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:46:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I am leaning toward the BCM SS 410 barrel for my first SBR build.

it's actually a mid weight contour profile

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:53:59 PM EDT
[#20]
HBAR is never the answer

I have a 11.5" BCM lightweight. Love it.

Counter-acted by a relatively heavy MI quad rail
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:07:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hey guys,
I'm about to start piecing together the upper for my AR SBR.  11.5 inch barrel is the plan.  I see BCM has some options...

I plan to use a suppressor on the rifle.  Part of me is thinking that with the weight of the can on the end, it might make sense to use a heavier barrel.  But another part of me doesn't think it will matter with an SBR, as its not exactly a precision rifle.

What do you guys think?
View Quote

I've got an 11.5 SBR and a 14.5" ELW-F.  I feel the 14.5" is balanced better.  If i build another 11.5, it will be a lightweight profile.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Im going with 10.5 rainier heavy profile match SS barrel on mine
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:43:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll toss in yet another vote for the lightweight profile.  I love my 10.5 inch lightweight SBR.  A heavier profile is something more pertinent to fighting a long gun battle.  Since I have been shooting ARs for many years and the only gun battles I have been involved in are against paper targets and other inanimate objects, I have had no need for the sustained fire that would make a heavy barrel the more practical solution.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:19:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Are you gonna suppress it? If so I'd say heavy or gov contour, not lightweight
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:32:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

how come?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why is that?  Most Light Weight and Govt Barrels are the same profile behind the FSB.  The govt profile just has more weight in front of/under the FSB and doesn't really add any more stiffness to the barrel since the area behind is still light weight.  It is stronger in front of the FSB but it doesn't really help much in terms of muzzle whip.  When you add a suppressor, it will make the front even more heavy.  Ive never shot my light weight barrels without a suppressor and they work flawlessly.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 5:31:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What do you guys think?
View Quote

All depends what your end game is.  
My 12.5" upper with a Centurion barrel, Kac FF Ras, and vortex 1x4 in a ADM mount weighs less than my department 10.5" HBAR upper with Midwest carbine FF rail and Comp ml2.

The Centurion barrel is a gov profile I believe.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:30:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Go with a light weight barrel, You wont regret it..
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:05:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for all the feedback.  I ordered a bunch of parts for the build last night.. to include a lightweight barrel

Hopefully the handguard I want shows up in stock again soon so I can get this thing together.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:24:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Lightweight is better, retro is more better.

</a>" />
Colt XM177E1 in 'Nam. (10" barrel)

" />

XM177E2 (11.5" barrel)
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:28:58 AM EDT
[#31]
I am trying to make this decision right now myself. I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a BCM 11.5" upper, but cant decide between the standard lightweight or the CHF government profile.

I will be running it 70-80% suppressed and I am still trying to understand the science behind why there are many suggestions for not using a lightweight barrel?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:30:29 AM EDT
[#32]
I didn't want to start another thread, so I am bringing this back to the top. Can anyone offer any specifics or experience on whether or not a lightweight barrel is not recommended for suppressor use?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:16:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I didn't want to start another thread, so I am bringing this back to the top. Can anyone offer any specifics or experience on whether or not a lightweight barrel is not recommended for suppressor use?

Thanks!
View Quote

Lightweight barrels are 'not recommended' because of barrel sag when using a heavy suppressor, the POI shift will be much greater with a LW barrel than a gov profile or HBAR. This is normally the case with 16" or longer barrels, though, and not 11.5" barrels.

LW barrels are also 'not recommended' because the LW profile does not lend itself well to heat dissipation or cooling as well as an HBAR does, so when shooting full auto the barrel life is diminished more greatly than with an HBAR. With suppressor use the hot gases coming back are even greater.

IMO, with an 11.5" barrel and semi-auto use- a LW profile is fine for whatever.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 2:32:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

how come?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

how come?

Lightweight barrels obviously have a thinner profile, when you put a suppressor on the end of it that weights close to a pound or more sometimes, your POI shift is greater with lightweight barrels than with gov or "heavy contour" barrels. The plus is, they won't heat up as fast as a lightweight either and your groups will stay tighter longer. If you're going the sbr/suppressor route, you will probably and most likely run it much more, and harder than you do a basic 16" ar. Most (not all) people will agree with me on this, once you go sbr everything else gets neglected..
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Lightweight barrels obviously have a thinner profile, when you put a suppressor on the end of it that weights close to a pound or more sometimes, your POI shift is greater with lightweight barrels than with gov or "heavy contour" barrels. The plus is, they won't heat up as fast as a lightweight either and your groups will stay tighter longer. If you're going the sbr/suppressor route, you will probably and most likely run it much more, and harder than you do a basic 16" ar. Most (not all) people will agree with me on this, once you go sbr everything else gets neglected..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

how come?

Go look at a gov't profile and a lightweight barrel, and show us exactly where the barrel is thicker.

Here's a hint, it at a part of the barrel that doesn't really help.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 1:44:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Light is the way to go.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Medium to heavy just based on your suppressor requirement. Light barrels usually exhibit a good bit of POI shift...especially after they warn up, when using a can.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#38]
I went with an 11.5" DD lightweight profile. I have no problem hitting a 2/3rds steel silhouette at 300 yards suppressed, which is all I expected from this gun.

I have no regrets about going with the lightweight.

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:52:51 PM EDT
[#39]
you'll be happy with the DD barrel.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#40]
I did the heavy route with a Lilja match 11.5 inch barrel. Then I sent it to be dimpled.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top