Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2014 10:59:55 PM EDT
Any reason not to cut down a standard 16" 1:9 HBAR to 10.3"? It was free (a buddy gave it to me, and I'll throw some money his way) and has an A2 FSB, barrel nut and gas tube. I shoot 55gr ammo exclusively, so I figure a 1:9 twist would be OK. Using a bunch of spare parts I have, I can assemble an old school MK18 upper (w/ carry handle and standard hand guards) for $90 plus the cost of cutting the barrel down.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:16:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I loathe HBARS. They have very little purpose. The 1:9 twist rate just adds insult to injury.

Good thing it was free.

If I were you I'd have it re-profiled while you are having it cut/crowned. And so long as you are only shooting 55gr bullets then you should be ok.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:24:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I loathe HBARS. They have very little purpose. The 1:9 twist rate just adds insult to injury.

Good thing it was free.

If I were you I'd have it re-profiled while you are having it cut/crowned. And so long as you are only shooting 55gr bullets then you should be ok.
View Quote

I hate HBARs too, but I walked into my office this morning and it was sitting on my desk. I'd rather not spend another $80 on a profile job too.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an 11.5" HBAR (Bushmaster, issued) and it's a pig. The profile job (or a different barrel) is worth it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:32:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I hate HBARs too, but I walked into my office this morning and it was sitting on my desk. I'd rather not spend another $80 on a profile job too.
View Quote

I like the sound of your workplace.

I'd cut it and run it as is.

I wish I would have paid more attention to their pedigree when they were issued, but there have been CQBRs with (very) heavy barrels.  I suspect they were cut down SOCOMs.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't be afraid of the H-Bar, its just a barrel. As long a it fits, run it. The 9 twist is the best suited twist for most AR shooting.  Don't forget to adjust the gas port.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:25:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Coincidence thread. A friend just gave me his old 16" post-ban Colt HBAR barrel with neutered FSB ober tje weekend. I'm taking it to the gunsmith after the new year for a cut and thread to 10.5".

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top