Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2014 3:36:12 PM EDT
I have been looking for deals on  sbr uppers from reputable manufacturers.  After reading some posts by ADCO regarding barrels which are consistently concentric I tend to look at barrels/uppers  from:
-Noveske
-BCM
-Daniel defense
-Spikes
-maybe palmetto since they are made by FN?
-Maybe Ballistic Advantage (can't find any real info on their barrels)

this thread was helpful

Basically I am looking for a deal on an upper that will hopefully not require me to send off the barrel to be rethreaded.  I am looking really hard at this setup right now.

"Barrels are from Ballistic Advantage
All other parts are from AO Precision "
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_22/1352708_10_5_COMPLETE_UPPERS_w_RAIL__400_SHIPPED.html

$400 bucks with BCG and charging handle sounds good if the barrel is legit.  Buy once cry once or give it a go?
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 4:01:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Ballistic Advantage makes very good barrels that are in fact concentric to the bore. Any quality manufacturer will likely have a properly aligned barrel. If you really doubt it then send it in to ADCO and they can check it out for you.

IMO people put way too much emphasis on this, just like headspacing. It's really a non-issue and is nothing to worry about unless you're buying garbage $60 barrels from a no-name somwhere deep in the internet.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.  I agree with you. In the end I am really just looking for the least POI shift for my money.  
GreenM4Guy posted this in a thread a while ago
"Most production barrels, are anywhere between .001 - .010 off.

The best barrels ive seen are noveske,
BCM is usually pretty darn good.
Bushy not so hot,
CMMG not so hot,
DD pretty darn good.
Colt is ok.

When we thread a barrel we indicate off the bore to with in 0.001 everytime. but we're also not making barrels by the hundreds. We can afford to take longer and make sure its as close to perfect as it can be. Just my opinion, take it for what its worth. "
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Thread concentricity wouldn't effect POI shift- it would cause possibly a baffle strike on the endcap of your suppressor.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 3:03:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thread concentricity wouldn't effect POI shift- it would cause possibly a baffle strike on the endcap of your suppressor.
View Quote

It will absolutely lead to POI shift.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 3:07:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_22/1352708_10_5_COMPLETE_UPPERS_w_RAIL__400_SHIPPED.html

$400 bucks with BCG and charging handle sounds good if the barrel is legit.  Buy once cry once or give it a go?
View Quote

I am pretty sure he put them on sale for $350 today
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I got a PSA 10.5" premium FN barrel upper with bcg for that price range a few months back. It is a great upper.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 7:55:33 PM EDT
[#7]
My PSA 10.5" with my 762-SD works great, no accuracy issues what so ever or baffle strikes.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:41:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LINK?  Going to search for it now!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For what it's worth, I picked up the stripped 10.5" barrel and FSB from him a couple of months back and it was a very good quality piece. I'd highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:36:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

For what it's worth, I picked up the stripped 10.5" barrel and FSB from him a couple of months back and it was a very good quality piece. I'd highly recommend it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I appreciate the review.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:07:19 PM EDT
[#11]
http://www.seekinsprecision.com/parts-and-accessories/barrels/10-5-ss-barrel-1.html

I have the 10.5 inch version of this barrel in .223 wylde.  Shoots straight, groups nicely, and I have an AAC 51t on it, and zero baffle strikes to date.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#12]
PSA no problems 10.5 Shot hundreds of suppressed rounds with thread on.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#13]
My strategy is to buy a longer-than-required barrel, and a have competent 'smith cut and re-thread it.  My suppressors are just too valuable to me to trust most AR barrel manufacturers.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:10:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My strategy is to buy a longer-than-required barrel, and a have competent 'smith cut and re-thread it.  My suppressors are just too valuable to me to trust most AR barrel manufacturers.

View Quote

You can have the barrel checked for coincentrocity.. Any decent machinist can tell you whether you are good to go or not. When it comes to this issue and accuracy .01 makes a big difference..
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:55:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You can have the barrel checked for coincentrocity.. Any decent machinist can tell you whether you are good to go or not. When it comes to this issue and accuracy .01 makes a big difference..
View Quote

And if the threads are bad?  Then what?

Cut and thread new ones from a longer barrel, and suppress with confidence
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably send it to adco if they are bad. They can add threads without losing length.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:25:14 PM EDT
[#17]
No worries or problems with concentricity with my 10.5" LMT upper from DSG.

https://dsgarms.com/lmtf-5-0c7-cb-sf-x-xx
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:29:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Well guys, I am pulling the trigger on the upper mentioned by dcs12345.  $350 shipped to my door for an 11.5" upper.  Ballistic Advantage barrel and AO precision upper bits.  I will see how it goes.  I have heard really good things about Ballistic Advantage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top