Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2014 9:24:06 PM EDT
I've been itching to build a 9mm SBR and ready to get started.  I am torn between either using a 556 lower with drop in coversion or a dedicated 9mm lower (Quarter Circle, LW, etc.).  There are some benefits and draw backs for both.  With the 556 lower, I could always transform it to go from 9mm to 556 if I wanted to.  With the ded. 9mm lower, I would be stuck with that caliber forever, but would be able to run glock mags (biggest upside for me).  I also think the ded. 9mm lowers are more aesthetically pleasing... So, besides getting both, what would arfcom do?

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:30:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I went with standard AR15 lower and the Hahn dedicated magwell block. Works great.

If I was thinking about building one now, I'd wait to see what PSA was coming out with. They just released a line of 9mm AR items, and said Glock mag lowers were coming soon afterwards (along with .40 and .45 AR parts).
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:57:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Good mag blocks are expensive, almost as expensive as a dedicated 9mm lower.  That's why I went with a DDLES lower.  Also those Glock mag versions have problems with the bolt hold open being unreliable.  But they are insanely fun to shoot and very quiet with a suppressor.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:10:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I went with standard AR15 lower and the Hahn dedicated magwell block. Works great.

If I was thinking about building one now, I'd wait to see what PSA was coming out with. They just released a line of 9mm AR items, and said Glock mag lowers were coming soon afterwards (along with .40 and .45 AR parts).
View Quote
Ah, yes. I forgot about that. Did they ever come out with an expected timeline for that?

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:24:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I started with a RRA mag block system and found that it was very picky about what type of ammo it would take and what magazines it would feed from.
Now I have a DDLES Glock system and find that it feeds everything perfectly but I can't get it to hold the bolt back on an empty mag.

Don't know if this helps your decision but that was my experience. Your experience may vary.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:39:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ah, yes. I forgot about that. Did they ever come out with an expected timeline for that?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. Just coming soon.

I will say that with the Hahn adapter, my 32rd Metalform mags have been completely reliable so far. PSA has some made by Metalform with PSA baseplates on sale for $24.99. Good price for the best mag on the market. And since I have the dedicated adapter, LRBHO works with no other mods.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:59:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I sbrd a colt 6951 and got the barrel trimmed to 10.3in with 1/2x28 threads for my supressor.  I would recommend a dedicated lower with colt style mags.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:19:46 AM EDT
[#7]

I went with a dedicated lower.  Looks better, can get colt or glock version to fit your liking. Also I tried the mag block and it was picky on mags. My ddles has been very reliable. Feeds my 147gr perfectly fine and pretty quiet too!
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:01:54 AM EDT
[#8]
glock with a stock would be shorter, and more reliable, and lighter...and cheaper...and...
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:12:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
glock with a stock would be shorter, and more reliable, and lighter...and cheaper...and...
View Quote

But wouldn't look as cool! And to some of us that matters.

Also control. I would imagine I would be able to put down more accurate shots, further down range with a 9mm ar over a glock.

Plus mine only has a 5 inch barrel. So it's not overly long, I just added a 3 lug adaptor and trilug mounted can which makes it longer.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:16:09 AM EDT
[#10]
If you're not in a hurry, wait a couple of months and see if the CZ Scorpion Evo 3 materializes. There's good signs it will.

Should be imported as a pistol. F1 it to a SBR for great justice.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:34:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I am about to SBR my 9mm AR. I knew I would regret not having the 9mm specific lower down the road, so I went ahead and ordered one. I already have a standard lower SBRd, so swapping calibers wasn't an issue. As soon as my lower gets here, it is getting e-filed.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:21:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a DDLES small Glock lower You're not limited to 1 caliber, you can use it for 9MM,40S&W & 357 Sig. I have a 40 & 9 upper for mine & both work great.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:43:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nope. Just coming soon.

I will say that with the Hahn adapter, my 32rd Metalform mags have been completely reliable so far. PSA has some made by Metalform with PSA baseplates on sale for $24.99. Good price for the best mag on the market. And since I have the dedicated adapter, LRBHO works with no other mods.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. Just coming soon.

+1

Hahn adapter and Metalform mags. I've had ZERO issues with this set up in SBR or full rifle configs.

That being said, there are many exiting possibilities out there for a 9mm SBR. If you want to stick to the manual of arms for the M16 series, go AR platform, but there are many pistols out there that are readily modified (after approved Form 1) to an SBR and have a track record of spectacular success. My next purchase will be a POF-5, or 5 PK, as an HK clone. Do you own any Glock handguns? Another great SBR option (especially for Gen 3). I just eFormed a Gen 4 19...34 days to clear and you still retain the legal capability of utilizing it as a handgun should you desire to do so.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:23:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you're not in a hurry, wait a couple of months and see if the CZ Scorpion Evo 3 materializes. There's good signs it will.

http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/cz_scorpion_evo_3_a111.png

View Quote

I will be all over that when it comes in.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:54:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm really looking for a carbine so SBR'd glock is out of the question. It will most likely host a 5" barrel and suppressor full time.  I'm thinking waiting for PSA to come out with their Lower may be best, but patience is not one of my best virtues...
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you're not in a hurry, wait a couple of months and see if the CZ Scorpion Evo 3 materializes.
View Quote

Badass carbine is badass.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote
this is my plan. that thing is sexy

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:57:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I went with a dedicated lower.   And yes, they are a lot of fun at the range...

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I went with a dedicated lower.   And yes, they are a lot of fun at the range...
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee62/IBSlingin/IMG_0525_zps6b42f462.jpg
View Quote
This was my original intention when it came to the look of the rifle, very nice... But that Scorpion doe!

Is there an ongoing thread about the possibility of import with the CZ?  I couldn't find one. Found it in GD.  You guys now have me intrigued...

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:49:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would absolutely love one of these!!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:15:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto. I've heard the price point will be kick ass, hope were all in for a treat!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:20:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Ditto. I've heard the price point will be kick ass, hope were all in for a treat!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I've read it should be right around $1000. $200 for the tax stamp, and pulling numbers out of my rearendus, I'm guessing the stock will be around $150.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:21:56 PM EDT
[#23]
B&T APC-9 is also coming. Would make a great SBR and should have a 3-lug barrel for suppressor mounting.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:06:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I remember having this some dilemma.  I thought it would be really nice to have just 1 lower that I could turn into a 22, 9mm, or 556 SBR.  I'm so glad I went with the dedicated lower.  Besides how much more I like the aesthetics of it, the convenience is fabulous and the reliability has been perfect so far.  Also, as someone has already mentioned, the price of a mag block and a lower can be about the same as just a dedicated 9mm lower.  I won't be getting rid of mine, but I can't wait until I can SBR an MPX  Here is my AR9 SBR

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:46:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Do you have a 5.56 sbr lower now?  If not, I'd go with the mag block first.  Versitility.  

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:50:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was going to do a dedicated 9mm build but after I saw the Scorpion I changed my mind
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:24:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Here's mine

I'm using a RRA bolt, mag well and buffer. The front end assembly is a Liemohn Manufacturing DOE 9mm.
The lower is a Nodak Spud, I have changed this a few times to a MK18 mod 0 clone in 5.56, since it is my only SBR I have adapted it to configure my favorite AR platforms. I even have an XM607 kit I use from time to time.

I used the 9mm set up in 2 carbine courses, so far it's had 3000+ factory 115-147gr's through it with out any problems, the 9mm set has been my favorite platform. Its just freakin fun to shoot.  

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:52:39 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Do you have a 5.56 sbr lower now?  If not, I'd go with the mag block first.  Versitility.  

View Quote
Yeah, I have multiple 5.56 lowers but they all have some sort of specific purpose. I really like the aesthetics of the dedicated lower but was reading up on the scorpion. Only thing that has me hesitant is all of the regukTions involved with SBRing an imported gun like that. Would need to read more on what it would take. I may end up doing both...

Link Posted: 12/7/2014 8:36:38 PM EDT
[#29]
I took care of my 9mm SBR desire by buying a clone MP5.

I suspect with the CZ announcement I will be getting another 9mm SBR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top