Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2014 11:42:31 PM EDT
So I'm building a 10.5" SBR and I need a barrel. I would like to go with a dimpled barrel to reduce weight and increase cooling. I plan on using a Hornady 55gn V max at about 2840 fps. Does anyone have any suggestions on brand or any input or ideas for parts?
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Send whichever barrel you choose to ADCO for dimpling.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 11:49:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you mean SBR? As in Short Barreled Rifle?

100% agree on ADCO.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 12:12:28 AM EDT
[#3]
no melonite or any other coating like it. Its too hard to work on and dulls tooling so most wont do it. Get a nice stainless barrel or something of similar hardness.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 3:12:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Ah, yes i did mean SBR, Thanks for the advice. I'll have to look into that, I was looking online for a place that sold them already dimpled. I know KAC has a model with dimpled barrel. Any advice on trigger or buffer system? I'm planning on using a Sig arm brace so its not really gonna be a SBR
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I run a KAK tube and a SB15 brace on a couple of pistols.
The buffers just depends on the upper, some just seem to like different weights.
Triggers I like the ALG ACT ($65) for its price it can't be beat.
I also run a SDE and a SD3G Geissele. I like the flat face more than conventional triggers.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:00:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I had ADCO recently dimple and refinish my barrel, it came out great!
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:09:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't have any numbers handy, but the crux of the problem is that you have to buy a heavier, stainless steel barrel to dimple in the first place.  On balance, an undimpled CL barrel might serve you better, especially at 10.5".

And I love ADCO, but if you're going the dimple route - it definitely looks cool - also consider Marvin Pitts of Nefarious Arms.  He uses, IMO, a cooler looking dimple pattern in his work.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#8]
That dimple barrel looks sick! But I did email ADCO and they did say it would be best to have a heavy barrel AO its gonna cost a bit plus end up heavier anyway. So I think I'm gonna skip that. Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm thinking about buying Sig brace with the KAK buffer tube kit, geiselle SD-C trigger, KNS trigger pins, and a BAD ASS safety. Already have the upper, lower, Aim NiB bolt, BCM gunfighter charging handle, and a Eotech 512. Just need to figure out a barrel and handguard.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That dimple barrel looks sick! But I did email ADCO and they did say it would be best to have a heavy barrel AO its gonna cost a bit plus end up heavier anyway. So I think I'm gonna skip that. Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm thinking about buying Sig brace with the KAK buffer tube kit, geiselle SD-C trigger, KNS trigger pins, and a BAD ASS safety. Already have the upper, lower, Aim NiB bolt, BCM gunfighter charging handle, and a Eotech 512. Just need to figure out a barrel and handguard.
View Quote

Geissele doesn't recommend the Knights pins.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#10]
IMHO, adco dimpling looks like crap. You want the dimpling from Marvin at nefarious arms, especially if you already like KAC.
Edit: he can also do it on thinner profile barrels, you don't have to have a heavy barrel.
He's done two of mine
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:45:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Marvin Pitts is the way to go, ADCO's barrel dimpling looks cheap, which would match their service.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Where did you hear Geiselle doesn't recommend the KNS pins?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:11:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Straight from Geissele
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:14:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Straight from Geissele
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Straight from Geissele

This is true. Geissele had posted in a thread I created once about this question. The Geissele pin tolerance spec is WAY WAY WAY tighter than KNS.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:16:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
IMHO, adco dimpling looks like crap. You want the dimpling from Marvin at nefarious arms, especially if you already like KAC.
Edit: he can also do it on thinner profile barrels, you don't have to have a heavy barrel.
He's done two of mine
http://imageshack.com/a/img534/45/k3zl.jpg
View Quote

Marvin's Prices aren't that bad either and IMHO his dimpling looks far superior. And I personally send all my work to ADCO. But if I had to choose dimpling I would say Marvin Pitts! Just google him, he has a Facebook page for his shop.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:31:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
He's done two of mine
View Quote

How much does Marvin charge for dimpling like this???
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:54:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the heads up. I was just about to order both. KNS sells Geissele triggers too.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:56:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah. That looks nice. How much?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:58:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think autocorrect got you - Geissele doesn't recommend Kns pins.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This is true. Geissele had posted in a thread I created once about this question. The Geissele pin tolerance spec is WAY WAY WAY tighter than KNS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Straight from Geissele

And I think Geissele triggers use a different pin retention system than mil spec triggers so the kns pins mess that up as well.  With that being said, my dumb ass used kns pins on 3 of my Geissele triggers for years before I figured out you weren't supposed to.  They all worked and still work fine.  I still use kns pins on those because I think the retention spring thing in the hammer is probably worn out at this point.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:04:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ipad autoincorrect
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Oh I got it. I was just saying I was gonna order both until you said they don't reccomend the KNS pins. I sent Geissele a email asking what was the deal and what they suggest. I might end up getting a different trigger. They are super expensive anyway.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:19:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Oh I got it. I was just saying I was gonna order both until you said they don't reccomend the KNS pins. I sent Geissele a email asking what was the deal and what they suggest. I might end up getting a different trigger. They are super expensive anyway.
View Quote

They are well worth the money.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. Best upgrade to date. Smoother than butter on a hot pan.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:18:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ah, yes i did mean SBR, Thanks for the advice. I'll have to look into that, I was looking online for a place that sold them already dimpled. I know KAC has a model with dimpled barrel. Any advice on trigger or buffer system? I'm planning on using a Sig arm brace so its not really gonna be a SBR
View Quote

The pistol forum is literally full of all this SigBrace stuff, those boys will be overjoyed to fill you with all kinds of information.  Including barrels and KNS pins.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 8:32:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree they are expensive but worth every penny. The trigger is not an area to cheap out on.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 3:17:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Emailed Geissele about the pins. Here is what they said:
The Geissele pins are precision ground and hardened to our specs. We recommend using our pins because we have found that other pins are not properly sized for our triggers and can be made out of a softer metal which may pull up burrs during installation causing the trigger to not perform as designed. If our pins are installed properly and the hammer spring is in the right position, there will not be an issue of the pins walking out of the lower receiver.

So is there any trigger that would be a better value/$ ? If not I think I'll suck it up and get the SD/C. Its only $210 on sale now!
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Emailed Geissele about the pins. Here is what they said:
The Geissele pins are precision ground and hardened to our specs. We recommend using our pins because we have found that other pins are not properly sized for our triggers and can be made out of a softer metal which may pull up burrs during installation causing the trigger to not perform as designed. If our pins are installed properly and the hammer spring is in the right position, there will not be an issue of the pins walking out of the lower receiver.

So is there any trigger that would be a better value/$ ? If not I think I'll suck it up and get the SD/C. Its only $210 on sale now!
View Quote

The Wilson Combats good and are very nice from what I hear, but I run Geissele, it's VERY nice.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

can't remember, i think between 125 and 200
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 2:37:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Just sent a email to Marvin. Them barrels look great! Thanks for the recommendation.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

He's done two of mine

View Quote

This x1000

ADCO dimpling looks like garbage to me. Marvin is the way to go.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top