Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2014 12:56:57 AM EDT
11/13  UPDATE: I've purchased my SBR and silencer.  Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!!

So, I've set up my NFA Trust and now I'm looking to buy a suppressed SBR in 300 Blackout.  I have no idea where to start other than this article I've found...

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/10/foghorn/building-perfect-300-aac-blackout-rifle/

However I've never "built" a rifle...and I'm really confused by all the technical aspects of suppressing a rifle.  I DO know that not all rifles perform well suppressed. So rather than dump a lot of money and time into a trial-and-error project,  I'd prefer a turnkey solution where I know that ALL the parts were designed to work perfectly in a suppressed platform.  

Is there is a company (or individual) out there that makes a suppressed (or suppressor-ready) SBR in 300 AAC?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#1]
AAC MPW 9".
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 11:58:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Why not buy a shorty upper and do a pistol lower for now and do your own Form1 to SBR it? That way you can have the weapon and shoot it over the next month or two while you wait for Form1 to clear, versus waiting 4-6 months for the Form4 to clear and you can't possess it in the meanwhile? Just a thought.

Daniel Defense has a 300SBR upper only (or a new pistol version). BCM sells quite a few shorty upper options in 5.56, but I don't think they sell any in 300BLK. AAC makes both a 9.5" and a 12". Noveske also makes a few 300BLK uppers ranging from 8.2"-16".
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 12:05:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I built my own, but if I were to buy an off the shelf gun, it would be the AAC 9" MPW.  Actually I would probably just get the upper and do my own lower.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 12:31:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Why not buy a shorty upper and do a pistol lower for now and do your own Form1 to SBR it? That way you can have the weapon and shoot it over the next month or two while you wait for Form1 to clear, versus waiting 4-6 months for the Form4 to clear and you can't possess it in the meanwhile?".
View Quote

I gotta be honest...I have NO idea what you're talking about!!

I'm sure there are a lot of companies out there that make uppers, lowers, middles, lefties AND righties...but if I try to build something I'm gonna fuck it up!!  I just want an READY TO GO SBR with a silencer that performs AWESOME!!

As far as "forms"...again, I have no idea about what that entails.  I guess I will have the attorney that did my NFA trust help me with those  (I think its included in his $500 fee).
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 12:32:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
AAC MPW 9".
View Quote

WINNER!!  Thanks, mate.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 12:46:15 AM EDT
[#6]
AAC 9" barrel, comes with gas tube and block
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 12:48:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
AAC MPW 9".
View Quote

FPNI.

Love my 9" AAC 300 blackout. Thing is a tack driver as well.

KAC lower and AAC 9" upper.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:47:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Ost... For later
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I purchased a factory 8.2" Noveske upper and a stripped Noveske lower, put together the lower myself. And I added a Saker 7.62 for good measure.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 3:28:49 PM EDT
[#11]
OK, so after being totally confused by Wildkard's post I did some research and figured out what he was talking about... and I'm on my way to gun store.  They have a Primary Weapons System MK1 piston driven upper in 300 AAC ($1299), with a Spikes Tactical lower with competition trigger ($499) that is configured with a pistol brace...so I can take it home today and shoot it while I fill out my ATF paperwork to convert it.   WOW... WHO KNEW?  (well I guess all you guys did.  LOL)    

Hope I'm making the right choice, I've heard good things about piston-driven AR's.  

Now I need to figure which can to put on this thing.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

FPNI.

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p500/AR-Ryan21/DB1BFE89-D43B-4200-8749-BF836C535CE1_zpsdebefj2p.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
AAC MPW 9".

FPNI.

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p500/AR-Ryan21/DB1BFE89-D43B-4200-8749-BF836C535CE1_zpsdebefj2p.jpg

NICE!!

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Is there is a company (or individual) out there that makes a suppressed (or suppressor-ready) SBR in 300 AAC?
View Quote

http://libertycans.net/leonidas/
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 5:42:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a AAC MPW in 9inch and a Leonidas.

They are both great, but the Leo is plain stupid quiet.  I like the MPW because I can take off the can and it becomes a very short setup.

You can't go wrong with either.

If suppression is your main goal, Leo all the way.  If compact size is your goal, MPW.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Dude, take a deep breath, do some reading on here, and check back in with more questions in a week or so.

You're not getting advice in this thread, just a listing of everyone's current favorites.

Right now, you might know 5% of what you need to make the best decision for you.  In a week you'll be closer to 50%-75%.  

Or.......you can blow $2k-$3k making an uninformed decision and then come back here for help when you're having issues with your new gun.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:03:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Dude, take a deep breath, do some reading on here, and check back in with more questions in a week or so.

You're not getting advice in this thread, just a listing of everyone's current favorites.

Right now, you might know 5% of what you need to make the best decision for you.  In a week you'll be closer to 50%-75%.  

Or.......you can blow $2k-$3k making an uninformed decision and then come back here for help when you're having issues with your new gun.
View Quote

Bingo
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:18:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Or.......you can blow $2k-$3k making an uninformed decision....
View Quote

And that's precisely the reason why I started this thread...for advice to make an informed decision.  Do you have any to offer (besides pointing out that I'm not getting any)? If so, it would be greatly appreciated.   I don't really do well trying to gather information scattered all over the Internet.  In fact, sometimes the more I read the more confused I get. Hell, some of the threads Ive found are from 2008!! How prevalent would that information be SIX years later?  

What I need is someone (who has done all the trial and error BS) to hold my hand and walk me through the process to make it as simple as humanly possible.   Someone with no vested interest in a company or out looking to simply make a sale or commission.
Surely SOMEONE on here has found a magic combination of SBR, silencer and ammo that I could duplicate and enjoy the spoils of their labor...yes??  I know if I did the work I would be happy to share it with this forum...unfortunately, as of late, I don't seem to have the time to dedicate to research...and the window is closing on the NFA Trust loophole!!

I am still open to suggestions, as the upper I went to look at today ended up being in 5.56/223 and NOT in 300 AAC like I was initially told it was. Since I would have to order it I decided to hold off until this weekend to make a purchase.

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:24:21 PM EDT
[#18]
There is no trust loophole and it's possible nothing will happen.

My advice is to buy a lower and do a form 1 and build or buy whatever upper you want.

Most of it comes down to personal preference.

Doing the form 1 yourself e filed will save you months.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:31:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sure there is...I'm using it to buy my NFA items and the ATF is trying to close it and require ALL future NFA purchases to have CLEO signature!!

Quoted:My advice is to buy a lower and do a form 1 and build or buy whatever upper you want.

Please explain how I "buy a lower and do a form 1".  Can I use ANY lower for an SBR?  If not, what do I want to look for?

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:33:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Sure there is...I'm using that very loophols (as many others have before me) to buy my NFA items and the ATF is trying to close it and require ALL future NFA purchases to have CLEO signature!!

Please explain how I "buy a lower and do a form 1".  Can I use ANY lower for an SBR?  If not, what do I want to look for?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure there is...I'm using that very loophols (as many others have before me) to buy my NFA items and the ATF is trying to close it and require ALL future NFA purchases to have CLEO signature!!

Quoted:My advice is to buy a lower and do a form 1 and build or buy whatever upper you want.

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:36:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Sorry, that was more of a response to all the suggestions people were making, and the dude - I thought it was you - who said he was on his way to the gun store already.

A few questions:

1.  Are you comfortable building your own lower?
2.  Do you care if the upper and lower are from different manufacturers, or would you prefer to buy a complete rifle?
3.  What is the gun for?  Hunting, a house gun, having fun at the range, etc?
4.  What is your budget?
5.  Do you plan to shoot mostly suppressed (with subsonic ammo) or unsuppressed (with super sonic ammo)?
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:39:37 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

EIGHT MONTHS BACKORDERED!  Figures.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:44:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Why are you posting from two different accounts in the same thread?

Relax. Take a deep breath. No need to rush.

You need to do your homework on the NFA world. Don't expect everyone here to co your homework for you.

1) what's this gun going to be used for?

2) priorities? Length? Suppression? Weight?

Quoted:

Sure there is...I'm using it to buy my NFA items and the ATF is trying to close it and require ALL future NFA purchases to have CLEO signature!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:51:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, you can get any lower.  You will have to tell them what cal you will use, how long the barrel is, and overall length (stock closed).  Once approved, you will have to engrave your name, or in your case, the trust; and city , state on the lower where it can be easily seen.  Kinda like how you see current lowers with company, city/state.
Do not get the barrel till after the stamp has come!!  You could get in trouble if you have all the parts waiting on the tax form.

Heres some quick facts on 300 blk.

300 blackout has a full burn at 9"  barrel.  This is part of the reason it makes a great SBR.
Any 308 suppressor can be used.  Some work better than others, but remember this isnt 308 win.  ACC and others make them more geared toward 300 blackout.
ACC invented the 300 Blackout... after looking at 300 whisper.
You can fire 2 seperate types of loads.  Supersonic and subsonic.  
Sometimes a rifle might not fully cycle on subsonic without a can. This can usually be fixed with a buffer change.. but why shoot subs unsurpressed?
A suppressor cant do anything about the noise of breaking of the sound barrier with supersonic loads.
Many 9mm pistol suppressors can be used BUT NO SUPERSONIC in these.  Subsonic only.  Check with manufacture.
You will need to file 2 forms for SBR and suppressor.  They are separate controlled items, regardless if they came as a total package.
The only thing different on a 300 AR compared to a 556 is the barrel.

There really isnt much to it.  You may be over thinking it some.  Good products were shown in this thread, and they will all work great.  

Good info over in the suppressor forum:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/222460__All_you_ever_wanted_to_know_about_suppressors_.html

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:11:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The two stamps you will need will probably take that long..
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:45:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sorry, that was more of a response to all the suggestions people were making, and the dude - I thought it was you - who said he was on his way to the gun store already.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah that was me...I was going to the gun store to  look at (and potentially purchase) a 300 AAC setup, but the PWS upper they has ended up being in 5.56/.223...so I saw it as a sign and decided not to make a purchase today.

Quoted:
A few questions:

1.  Are you comfortable building your own lower?

BUILDING (drilling, milling, boring, tapping, grinding, etc, etc) - NO

ASSEMBLING - MAYBE.  

2.  Do you care if the upper and lower are from different manufacturers, or would you prefer to buy a complete rifle?

NOPE

3.  What is the gun for?  Hunting, a house gun, having fun at the range, etc?

HUNTING / HAVING FUN

4.  What is your budget?

$3000 (with suppressor)

5.  Do you plan to shoot mostly suppressed (with subsonic ammo) or unsuppressed (with super sonic ammo)?

SUPPRESSED / SUBSONIC (its the entire reason for this rifle)

~
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:47:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My buddy got his tax stamps in only four...but I smell what you're steppin in!!
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:49:30 PM EDT
[#28]
deleted duplicate post
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:52:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Ok. do this.

Buy a stripped lower. pick out and purchase a .30 suppressor. The tax stamp for the suppressor will take 4-6 mos. The tax stamp to register the lower receiver as an SBR will take 1-2 months.

Now, while you are waiting on the tax stamps, read up and learn how to assemble a lower receiver and how to assemble an upper. Decide on your barrel length. Purchase barrel, all other parts, etc.

By the time your stamps are ready, you should have everything ready to go.

Seriously, just start with the lower receiver and the suppressor. The suppressor needs to be purchased first as it takes the longest.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 12:28:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Buy AAC 9" upper or similar SBR upper and a stripped lower.  Put a pistol buffer tube and Sig brace on the lower so you can shoot your gun while you wait on the Form 1 to be approved and you can put a real stock on it.  Any stripped lower can be built as a pistol, also make sure you can own AR pistols.  Sell the Sig brace and pistol tube afterwards if you want to recoup some of that money.  This is what I did while waiting on my Form 1 for my 300 blk SBR.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 7:35:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ok. do this.

Buy a stripped lower. pick out and purchase a .30 suppressor. The tax stamp for the suppressor will take 4-6 mos. The tax stamp to register the lower receiver as an SBR will take 1-2 months.

Now, while you are waiting on the tax stamps, read up and learn how to assemble a lower receiver and how to assemble an upper. Decide on your barrel length. Purchase barrel, all other parts, etc.

By the time your stamps are ready, you should have everything ready to go.

Seriously, just start with the lower receiver and the suppressor. The suppressor needs to be purchased first as it takes the longest.
View Quote

I'll echo a lot of what is in here and keep in mind your (the OP) answers from above.

1.  Buy and assemble a quality lower (or buy a complete one).  Run it on your AR15 to make sure it functions.
2.  Start doing your suppressor research.  My advice here would be to start with known quantities - SilencerCo, AAC, etc.  Everything in the silencer world is a compromise. Try to figure out what is important to you.  Also, keep in mind that 9" and 1 1/2 pounds at the end of an 8" barrel might be ridiculous.
3.  Check out quality offerings for complete uppers - AAC, Noveske, KAC, and figure out if you can put together something better by choosing your own parts.
4.  Start buying ammo.  It's expensive and isn't always available.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 10:31:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
OK, so after being totally confused by Wildkard's post I did some research and figured out what he was talking about... and I'm on my way to gun store.  They have a Primary Weapons System MK1 piston driven upper in 300 AAC ($1299), with a Spikes Tactical lower with competition trigger ($499) that is configured with a pistol brace...so I can take it home today and shoot it while I fill out my ATF paperwork to convert it.   WOW... WHO KNEW?  (well I guess all you guys did.  LOL)    

Hope I'm making the right choice, I've heard good things about piston-driven AR's.  

Now I need to figure which can to put on this thing.
View Quote

Since you're in Texas you need to call The Silencer Shop in Austin.

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 2:54:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks...I did just that.  Purchased the GEMTECH "Sandstorm" this evening.  I chose that (vs a 300 AAC specific silencer) so I could also use it on my Armalite .308.

Now the wait is on!!
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 8:56:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Thanks...I did just that.  Purchased the GEMTECH "Sandstorm" this evening.  I chose that (vs a 300 AAC specific silencer) so I could also use it on my Armalite .308.

Now the wait is on!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now the wait is on!!

Well, try to get some sleep.  Its gonna take a few..  
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 9:34:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Interesting choice of can for a semi auto.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:51:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

How so?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 12:35:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

How so?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

They do not recommend this can for SBR's
I know I have a quicksand (same can but QD)
I would recommend a AAC MPW with a aac sdn-6 I love this set up. It is shorter and quieter than my 10" with quicksand
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 12:50:58 AM EDT
[#38]
I went with the AAC upper, and SDN6 combo.  Quiet, AAC makes the round, upper, and the can. Works for me.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:45:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

WHO doesn't recommend??  The gentleman I spoke with at Silencer Shop in Austin said the Sandstorm would be a fine choice for my SBR.   I also went to the GEMTECH website, and it states " For Barrels:   ...7.5" or longer 300 BLK" (my barrel is 9.75").  

Also, here is a video of (what will be) my exact same setup...and it looks like its functioning just fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INkk-jvb__k

I'm not trying to be confrontational, its just this is the first I'm hearing about the Sandstorm being a poor choice.  Please enlighten me.

BTW, I really like your AAC setup (heard great things about the SDN-6)...but unfortunately I've already purchased my PWS MK109

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:55:05 AM EDT
[#40]
duplicate
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:25:11 AM EDT
[#41]
These guys are all over here get the 9" MPW and I'm all like 8.2" Noveske Barrel son...23.5" OAL

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top