BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2014 11:02:40 PM EDT
I was thinking a mega billit.

What do y'all think?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:08:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Any 7075-T6 A2 lower or billet. Brand doesn't mean much. An in spec A2 or billet  lower is exactly that.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:09:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Noveske
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:12:26 AM EDT
[#3]
What upper are you planning on?

I'm not a fan of frankenguns, so the upper would dictate the lower, and vice versa.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:36:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Whatever you get, TEST FIT BEFORE PAPERWORK!!! This is so very important. Learn from my experience

Imo, Mega makes the most precise stuff.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:46:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:29:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Anderson
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:33:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I am very impress with Tactical Machining, more so then Aero. Silly name but outstanding product.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:09:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Whatever you get, TEST FIT BEFORE PAPERWORK!!! This is so very important. Learn from my experience
View Quote

This guy gets it.

Get a lower of your choice and shoot it with a non-NFA upper on it. Make sure it's in spec before sending off the paperwork and $200 to the Feds for 'permission' to SBR it.

I've used a few Andersons with no issues, but if billet is your thing Mega is rock solid AFAIK.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:51:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

This guy gets it.

Get a lower of your choice and shoot it with a non-NFA upper on it. Make sure it's in spec before sending off the paperwork and $200 to the Feds for 'permission' to SBR it.

I've used a few Andersons with no issues, but if billet is your thing Mega is rock solid AFAIK.
View Quote

Is it not normally the upper that will be out of spec? Assuming by out of spec you mean some play? Iv'e got two BCM uppers and one fits very tight while one has a bit of play when placed on the same lower.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:33:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

This guy gets it.

View Quote

Is it not normally the upper that will be out of spec? Assuming by out of spec you mean some play? Iv'e got two BCM uppers and one fits very tight while one has a bit of play when placed on the same lower.
View Quote

Let me put it this way...I am currently waiting on a replacement tax-stamp for a replacement lower, because the lower I got with a complete SBR only fit that upper, and was deemed out of spec both by a third party company, as well as the company that made it after I sent it back, and that upper was FUBAR. So I had a lower, that only fit hat FUBAR upper. The whole gun is having to be replaced. So do yourself a favor, and CHECK YOUR LOWER! Uppers are just money, who cares? Lowers are time. Time is priceless.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:47:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Anderson
View Quote

or PSA Blem.  

That's what all my SBR's are.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:13:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:23:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am sure you guys get tired of me dropping in these threads however.....

Might I recommend a 2A-Armament BALIOS-lite for your SBR build.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-AXQ35NODH7U/VFEEGf_05rI/AAAAAAAAAHc/p54hYAxPZeU/s640-no/insta12.JPG

View Quote

Damn
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am sure you guys get tired of me dropping in these threads however.....

Might I recommend a 2A-Armament BALIOS-lite for your SBR build.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-AXQ35NODH7U/VFEEGf_05rI/AAAAAAAAAHc/p54hYAxPZeU/s640-no/insta12.JPG

View Quote

I'm going to need to do that.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What do y'all think?
View Quote

I love my GTR-3H Ambi lower/upper combo. I don't think I'll build on anything else but these I like them so much...
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#16]
LMT
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:54:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#18]
For the price.... I'd go with the Anderson.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:07:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do y'all think?
View Quote

I love my GTR-3H Ambi lower/upper combo. I don't think I'll build on anything else but these I like them so much...
View Quote

^^^THIS^^^
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:32:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
LMT
View Quote

My only stamped lower is an LMT
Next will be a mega forged

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:08:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Any 7075-T6 A2 lower or billet. Brand doesn't mean much. An in spec A2 or billet  lower is exactly that.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:10:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm not a fan of frankenguns, so the upper would dictate the lower, and vice versa.
View Quote

Not this. Who care's who the upper and lower are made by, as long as they're in spec. An SBR will most likely be a Frankengun anyway.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:11:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

What do y'all think?
View Quote

Whichever lower you like that's in-spec & works. Fairly simple concept.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:20:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Mine is a forged MEGA.

Gotta love the fit, finish, and rollmark.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:35:30 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm either going to SBR my PSA lower or my Anderson with integral trigger guard so I can have it engraved on it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:41:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Not this. Who care's who the upper and lower are made by, as long as they're in spec. An SBR will most likely be a Frankengun anyway.
View Quote

To you....my dept. requires that the upper and lower match (among other things) so I have to do as they state...I also don't care for Frankenguns but that's my personal preference too.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:44:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Well, to each their own, but speak for yourself.

I have 8 SBRs, and only one is a frankengun. And that one "frankengun" SBR is tough to tell because it's a KAC lower with an AAC upper that has a KAC handguard. It's also been cerakoted as well, so it looks like a factory KAC SBR.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:33:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

To you....my dept. requires that the upper and lower match (among other things) so I have to do exactly as he states...I also don't care for Frankenguns but that's my personal preference too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To you....my dept. requires that the upper and lower match (among other things) so I have to do exactly as he states...I also don't care for Frankenguns but that's my personal preference too.

Department requirements are different from personal preferences. If the OP had department requirements, he wouldn't be here asking which lower to SBR.

As you probably know, MOST uppers is that they are not marked with a company name, only a forge mark. And those marked with a company name are often forged by a different company anyway. And a forge often makes uppers for many different companies, and has been noted, may or may not be marked with a company name.

A lower is the same way. Many companies do not forge their own lowers, and often use different forge companies from run to run.

So, to avoid the "frankengun" syndrome, one must only use a lower, along with an upper marked with the same company name. Even then, unless the company forges their own uppers AND lowers, they may very well be forged by two different companies. The fit and finish match may, or may not be better than a frankengun.

If one wishes to match their upper and lower, more power to them.

For many, it will not matter. And few will be able to tell if an unmarked upper is matched with a correct lower. Many would prefer to buy a cheap, but in-spec upper/lower, and spend money saved on a better barrel, optic and trigger.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:12:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Go for it, Mega receivers are great.  I built my 300 blk SBR using their billet upper and lower.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:18:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Department requirements are different from personal preferences. If the OP had department requirements, he wouldn't be here asking which lower to SBR.

As you probably know, MOST uppers is that they are not marked with a company name, only a forge mark. And those marked with a company name are often forged by a different company anyway. And a forge often makes uppers for many different companies, and has been noted, may or may not be marked with a company name.

A lower is the same way. Many companies do not forge their own lowers, and often use different forge companies from run to run.

So, to avoid the "frankengun" syndrome, one must only use a lower, along with an upper marked with the same company name. Even then, unless the company forges their own uppers AND lowers, they may very well be forged by two different companies. The fit and finish match may, or may not be better than a frankengun.

For many, it will not matter. And few will be able to tell if an unmarked upper is matched with a correct lower. Many would prefer to buy a cheap, but in-spec upper/lower, and spend money saved on a better barrel, optic and trigger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm aware of all of that.

But your statement was "not this" I was simply saying I agreed with him. I know the OP didn't mention a dept. requirement, I was backing up my post.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:34:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Unless the AR came from the same factory as a complete rifle or pistol then it's a "frankengun." Simply matching two receivers of the same brand doesn't mean it's not a "frankengun" if they have been built by one shooter or another.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:50:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

But your statement was "not this" I was simply saying I agreed with him. I know the OP didn't mention a dept. requirement, I was backing up my post.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still stand by my statement. Simply using an upper and lower marked as made by the same company will not magically make the rifle not a frankengun. It may not look like a frankengun, but it will still be a frankengun. It will never be a factory made rifle.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:37:47 AM EDT
[#33]
I'd look at the Quentin Defense ambi billet.

Bolt release only on the right side of it, and I've got 2 of their non-ambi lowers and the finish on them is excellent.

They also have Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard engraved lowers for $125 right now.

The bolt catch is threaded and no roll pins are needed for finishing the lower.

They can also engrave it for you for your Form 1.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top