Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2014 10:48:11 PM EDT
To satisfy the BATF, what is the procedure for notifying them of the change?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:07:37 PM EDT
[#1]
So are you saying you want to replace your registered lower for a different lower? If that is correct then that means a different serial # which would require another form 1. Correct me if that's not what you are wanting to do.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:14:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So are you saying you want to replace your registered lower for a different lower? If that is correct then that means a different serial # which would require another form 1. Correct me if that's not what you are wanting to do.
View Quote

Yes...I want to replace my existing lower for a new one with a different serial number.

Why can't I just inform the BATF of the new make and serial number?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:17:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yes...I want to replace my existing lower for a new one with a different serial number.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Because that's an entirely new firearm/serial number.  You would have to do another Form 1...unfortunately you can't do a 2 for 1 deal...

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:19:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Because that's an entirely new firearm/serial number.  You would have to do another Form 1...unfortunately you can't do a 2 for 1 deal...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth^
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:20:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even if my existing lower is broken?  Surely there is a provision for such a case...

Note: I used the word replace.  It would not be a 2 for 1.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:22:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Even if my existing lower is broken?  Surely there is a provision for such a case...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No exceptions exist.  If you break it you are out $200.  Same deal with a RDIAS or registered machine gun lower.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:26:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No exceptions exist.  If you break it you are out $200.  Same deal with a RDIAS or registered machine gun lower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm...that seems like a shitty policy.  But then again...it's the federal govt.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:43:53 PM EDT
[#8]
If its broken it can be repaired. Search m60joe. If you wish you would have form 1ed a noveske lower instead of an ATI you're out of luck.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:45:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Please tell us you didn't register a polymer lower...
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:48:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Please tell us you didn't register a polymer lower...
View Quote

No...I didn't.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:58:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Sucks but $200 and a new form 1 is your only answer.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:09:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Hmmm...that seems like a shitty policy.  But then again...it's the federal govt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, thank Gemtech for throwing a hissy fit causing the rules to be changed.....
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:01:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If its broken it can be repaired. Search m60joe. If you wish you would have form 1ed a noveske lower instead of an ATI you're out of luck.
View Quote

M60joe would probably not be a cost effective option. Good for a $20k registered m16, probably not for a $100-150 lower and new $200 stamp.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:46:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I think (check for your self) that the original manufacture can take and destroy your old receiver and then make a new one with the same serial number. Pretty sure I've heard that before.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:49:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I think (check for your self) that the original manufacture can take and destroy your old receiver and then make a new one with the same serial number. Pretty sure I've heard that before.
View Quote

Negative. Was done in the past but not allowed anymore.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:36:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, thank Gemtech for throwing a hissy fit causing the rules to be changed.....
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:51:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Always had this question, dissapointing to hear. It really makes me want to Form 1 every lower I have just in case things break, policy changes, etc.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:58:29 AM EDT
[#18]
First I've heard of Gemtech being the cause...
Want to shed some light on what happened??
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:02:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Again, thank Gemtech for throwing a hissy fit causing the rules to be changed.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Olympic caused that, not Gemtech.  They were replacing registered receivers that they weren't the original manufacturer on.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:03:42 AM EDT
[#20]
OP....

I was thinking about this just now and wanted to come back here and ask you...

Do you have the Form 1 right now, or are you waiting for it still?  If you are still waiting for the Form 1 for the lower in question, yes, it is possible to switch the lower.  I actually did this when I broke one of my lowers while waiting for a Form 1.

If you already have the approved Form 1, then there is no other way but to do a new one and submit $200 more...
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:30:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Actually, thank Gemtech for throwing a hissy fit causing the rules to be changed.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How did Gemtech change anything regarding SBR's/Machineguns?  Also, AAC deserves just as much of the blame...and I am not really a fan of either company.

ETA: As the above poster pointed out Olympic is the reason for SBR's/machineguns while Gemtech/AAC is the reason for suppressors.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:32:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Alternately, you could say 'thank AAC' for douchey business practices.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:12:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

How did Gemtech change anything regarding SBR's/Machineguns?  Also, AAC deserves just as much of the blame...and I am not really a fan of either company.

ETA: As the above poster pointed out Olympic is the reason for SBR's/machineguns while Gemtech/AAC is the reason for suppressors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe it was a somewhat common practice at some point. There is even a story about Colt replacing a registered receiver with a new style reciever for some big wig.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:20:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I believe it was a somewhat common practice at some point. There is even a story about Colt replacing a registered receiver with a new style reciever for some big wig.
View Quote

It was.  Gemtech and AAC had nothing to do with getting it stopped though.  Companies were replacing receivers that they had originally manufactured.  Then Olympic started replacing other manufacturers' receivers.  Olympic was also responsible for steel core 7.62x39 getting added to the AP handgun ammo list and thus banned from import.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top