Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2014 7:45:27 PM EDT

It's a 7.5" barrel with the muzzle brake threaded maybe a fourth of the way on with an end cap behind it.

What I'm wanting to know is, is this safe to do?

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:52:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't shoot that.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#2]
It would be easy enough to get a different type of muzzle device and do it the right way.  As is, I would have concerns about everything lining up.

What's the white stuff in your passenger floorboard?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It would be easy enough to get a different type of muzzle device and do it the right way.  As is, I would have concerns about everything lining up.

What's the white stuff in your passenger floorboard?
View Quote
It lines up pretty decent right now. I'll get some better pics when I get off work, it feels sturdy too.

And it's baking soda....someone puked in my truck.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#4]
You don't want a plastic frag grenade in front of you.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#5]
That brake is going to blow the handguard plastic apart, maybe on the first shot.  

Plus only threading a muzzle device on 1/4 of the way is asking for trouble.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:14:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I wouldn't shoot that.  
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:32:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't shoot that.  

This.
A brake can do this to a metal rail: (actually, it looks like a BCM Comp from the end view)

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/622312__ARCHIVED_THREAD____300_build_question___.html&page=1#i6160589
Unless you want plastic hands like Chuckie from SoA, don't even think about shooting that upper until you buy new handguards.

Also, with the threads only engaged 1/4 of the way & no provenance about the spacer I would say there is at least a relevant chance that:

A) The brake may be misaligned with the bore enough to cause a bullet strike, which would be very bad

B) Who made the barrel? Too little thread engagement could actually cause the pressure wave to strip the barrel threads and chuck the break downrange.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:34:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I wouldn't shoot that.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#9]
A Noveske KX3 Pig would work and look good. IMHO

...and I wouldn't shoot it as is either!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top