Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2014 9:12:29 PM EDT
Apologies if this is the wrong place to put this, I could not find an SBR forum. I had some quick questions regarding the laws on SBR so that I do not accidentally build an illegal rifle. I am familiar with all the parts of an AR15 now and have several different builds i'd like to create. However i've been very interested in shorter barrels and so I need to ask some questions. I'll make it simple and list them:

1. Are there any exceptions to the barrels being under 16"? I see a TON of 14.5" barrels online from manufactures

2. Does a vertical force grip require an additional stamp? I saw a youtube video with some guys, seemingly professional, claiming that while you may still use an armbrace to prevent making it an SBR, you could not add a grip in the front.

Most of this stems from a picture I saw of a build i'd really like to create. I'll try to add the image below. The owner listed his build as:
BCM 14.5" mid length standard profile barrel
VLTOR low profile gas block pinned by ADCO
Surefire MB556k pinned by ADCO
LaRue LT15-12 handguard

And some other various parts that aren't important. Mostly wondering if this is considered an SBR?

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:06:51 PM EDT
[#1]
A 14.5" barrel or any barrel that has a muzzle device permanently attached is not as SBR. That is why you see so many barrels of that length. It is as short as you can go and still be legal.

A pistol cannot have a VFG. That would make it a firearm. A pistol that is over 26" can have a VFG, and that makes it a firearm since it doesn't meet the other definitions.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:14:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A 14.5" barrel or any barrel that has a muzzle device permanently attached is not as SBR. That is why you see so many barrels of that length. It is as short as you can go and still be legal.

A pistol cannot have a VFG. That would make it a firearm. A pistol that is over 26" can have a VFG, and that makes it a firearm since it doesn't meet the other definitions.
View Quote

+1
man knows his shit. op, please note though that the permanently attached muzzle device + barrel must be over 16" though
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:43:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

+1
man knows his shit. op, please note though that the permanently attached muzzle device + barrel must be over 16" though
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Close, but not quite correct.

Pistol (<26") plus VFG = AOW

Pistol (>26") plus VFG = firearm. Remove VFG, becomes pistol again.

Unsure what it would be at EXACTLY 26"

Barrel + permanently attached muzzle devices must be 16" or greater.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:53:10 PM EDT
[#4]
In the pic you posted, the MagPul AFG is an angled fore grip, not a vertical foregrip thus you would not create an AOW if installed on a pistol.  Makes things easier (no stamp).

If you want a true SBR, just do a trust and get a stamp.  Mine took about 2 months with my snail mail Form 1 and my trust.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:28:40 PM EDT
[#5]
If I was looking to find a 14.5" upper, how would I make sure that the total length is 16"? I've been looking at BCM 14.5" uppers but it doesn't say anywhere the total length with muzzle brake
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:30:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Find out what muzzle brake is on it then look at the specs for that muzzle brake.  Total length should be listed.  For example:  Muzzle Brake length for 14.5 barrel to equal 16"
Also, if you have the AR lower already, but don't own an AR pistol lower, make sure the barrel is pinned/welded before you bring it home.  You can't own a short barrel without the tax stamp.  

"From the ATF FAQ question 12

A FFL (Type-7 or Type-10) who pays the Special Occupational Tax (SOT) may possess parts required to assemble NFA firearms. A non-licensee or FFL who has not paid the SOT is required to register any NFA firearm via an ATF Form 1 (5320.1) prior to acquisition of the parts required to assemble such firearm."

* My disclaimer:  This is not legal advice.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:20:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Also, if you have the AR lower already, but don't own an AR pistol lower, make sure the barrel is pinned/welded before you bring it home.  You can't own a short barrel without the tax stamp.  
View Quote

I'm a bit confused. If I were to order a BCM 14.5" complete upper with a permanent install muzzle brake that makes it 16", would I be able to just order any lower receiver and build it myself? I was looking at http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-14-5-Mid-Length-Upper-MI-KeyMod-light-weight-p/bcm-urg-mid-14bfh-lw-ssk12g2-.htm with one of the permanent install muzzle devices. From what the disclaimer says on the BCM website, it sounds like they are saying that with the A2 flash hider it is not 16", but with any of the selectable muzzle devices it will be 16"+
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:06:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm a bit confused. If I were to order a BCM 14.5" complete upper with a permanent install muzzle brake that makes it 16", would I be able to just order any lower receiver and build it myself? I was looking at http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-14-5-Mid-Length-Upper-MI-KeyMod-light-weight-p/bcm-urg-mid-14bfh-lw-ssk12g2-.htm with one of the permanent install muzzle devices. From what the disclaimer says on the BCM website, it sounds like they are saying that with the A2 flash hider it is not 16", but with any of the selectable muzzle devices it will be 16"+
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct. A true 14.5" barrel with not get to 16" with a standard A2 flash hider. There are a number of slightly longer muzzle devices that will get there.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:58:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If I was looking to find a 14.5" upper, how would I make sure that the total length is 16"? I've been looking at BCM 14.5" uppers but it doesn't say anywhere the total length with muzzle brake
View Quote

And there is no reason to permanent install a muzzle device other than to make the MD one with a barrel so that it is an over all length of 16". So if your searching for 14.5" uppers and they don't give an OAL but does state that the MD is permanent attached then your good to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top