Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#1]
It's pretty much all been said...

For my use, the SBR's I have reduce the weight (since I'm required to have a light and a sling) and it allows them to be maneuverable inside of a vehicle, of necessary, inside tight spaces or small homes/buildings, etc. the loss in velocity isn't a hot against the platform (10.3" or my 11.5"-ers) because for these rifles I won't be engaging even out to 50yrds in real use...for classes or courses, sure, they'll reach out and touch paper or steel but the lack of velocity on those doesn't matter...inside of 50yrds it still has plenty of oomph.

I also want to suppress my rifles and my suppressed, fully kitted rifles weighs about the same as a stock 16" AR (keeping in mind I at least need the light and sling but this would exclude a suppressor).
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Correct.  If I wanted a 300-400fps drop in velocity and .22 Hornet performance, I'd go with .22 Hornet instead of .223.
View Quote

Winchester Q3131 still gives 3k fps from a 12.5 barrel, which is what some people report from .223 ammo...

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=382876
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=5&f=20&t=111194

I don't think it's something to sneeze at.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:18:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Because 16" is an arbitrary, BS, .gov designated length.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:22:51 PM EDT
[#4]
it's also the length the NAZIS chose for the MP44....and if the NAZIS like it, it must be bad!  
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:02:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Add a silencer and you will quickly want a shorter package.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:13:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Always wanted a 6933,glad I have one now
View Quote

How much?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:35:26 PM EDT
[#7]
got it for about 950 from Clydes

Stamp wait was 4 I/2 months
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:11:05 PM EDT
[#8]
10.5 with can is shorter than a 16" standard carbine and weight is almost the same. And I have wanted a mk18 for 10 years.

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 8:29:59 PM EDT
[#9]
All of the above...

PLUS.....

Chicks dig Short Barrels!

I crack myself up sometimes....

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not as arbitrary as you think.
The NFA originally had 18" as the minimum bbl length for rifles and shotguns..........and then along came thousands of military surplus M1 Carbines. Regs were changed to allow the sale of those carbines.

The NFA was originally designed to prohibit all concealable firearms (including handguns) and the 18" BBl/26" OAL standard encompassed nearly all rifles and shotguns as they came from the manufacturers at the time. Handguns were removed from the final bill, so that's why we are stuck with tax stamps.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 11:34:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The NFA originally had 18" as the minimum bbl length for rifles and shotguns..........and then along came thousands of military surplus M1 Carbines. Regs were changed to allow the sale of those carbines.

The NFA was originally designed to prohibit all concealable firearms (including handguns) and the 18" BBl/26" OAL standard encompassed nearly all rifles and shotguns as they came from the manufacturers at the time. Handguns were removed from the final bill, so that's why we are stuck with tax stamps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 16" barrel requirement because of the M-1 carbine is a myth. The barrel of the M-1 carbine is already 18"
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 7:13:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The 16" barrel requirement because of the M-1 carbine is a myth. The barrel of the M-1 carbine is already 18"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, the M-1 carbine has a nominal barrel length of 18". Wartime production by everybody and their mother produced thousands of carbines with barrels fractions of an inch shorter than 18". Nobody cared until after surplus carbines were sold to civilians, and it was noticed than many M-1 carbines had factory produced barrels shorter than 18". Since it was unknown exactly which carbines had barrels shorter than 18", and the government had sold them to its citizens, turning them into felons, the easiest solution was to change the barrel length minimum in the NFA.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No, the M-1 carbine has a nominal barrel length of 18". Wartime production by everybody and their mother produced thousands of carbines with barrels fractions of an inch shorter than 18". Nobody cared until after surplus carbines were sold to civilians, and it was noticed than many M-1 carbines had factory produced barrels shorter than 18". Since it was unknown exactly which carbines had barrels shorter than 18", and the government had sold them to its citizens, turning them into felons, the easiest solution was to change the barrel length minimum in the NFA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Links to reliable sources or documentation?
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 2:18:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

I can't find any. Maybe I'm wrong and have been repeating an old wives' tale. The record shows a change in 1954 of section 5845 (definitions), but the summary only mentions importation changes. I have no idea how I might find the original text, so I'll concede I'm probably wrong.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:13:16 AM EDT
[#15]
According to wikipedia, and this, first it was for rimfire rifles (pre-1960) then centerfire rifles came later (1960)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act#cite_ref-Appropriations1998_7-0
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1357583_1960_amendments_to_the_NFA.html

Looks like the m1-carbine thing is *partially* true, see pdf in 2nd link.  It, the swedish M94, and the M1873 winchester are specifically mentioned as being between 16-18 inches and not a gangster element gun.

I find it also funny in the pdf they are wrangling over the definition of an "AOW".  Guess people knew it was shittly written for a very long time.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 6:05:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Compactness for CQC, vehicle borne ops, sometimes easier to carry & lighter, etc. Many shooters, including myself, just don't like long barrels. Arcane barrel length restrictions from the 1930's is just stupid.
View Quote

Pretty much spot on.  For me it makes way more sense than a long barrel gun.  The benefits of a short barrel far outweigh the negatives in my use.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 7:56:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Being that I don't own anything  less than 16, sure makes me look hard. Does definitely  seem ideal for all of the above
View Quote

I was on the opposite side of that coin. Had nothing over 11.5" for a long time.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
According to wikipedia, and this, first it was for rimfire rifles (pre-1960) then centerfire rifles came later (1960)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act#cite_ref-Appropriations1998_7-0
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1357583_1960_amendments_to_the_NFA.html

Looks like the m1-carbine thing is *partially* true, see pdf in 2nd link.  It, the swedish M94, and the M1873 winchester are specifically mentioned as being between 16-18 inches and not a gangster element gun.

I find it also funny in the pdf they are wrangling over the definition of an "AOW".  Guess people knew it was shittly written for a very long time.
View Quote

Thank you. That is indeed a good read. I stand corrected.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top