BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:39:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Aimpoint.

Or a quality 1-4/1-6x up top.

Some of my SBRs run Aimpoints, while some of the futures will be getting 1-4s.

Do a little reading up here.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:38:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Either an Eotech or Aimpoint with 3x magnifier. Depends which view you like. I prefer the more open Eotech glass and circle dot reticle. If you want a scope look at the Vortex 1-4.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:43:27 PM EDT
[#3]
T-1
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:13:10 AM EDT
[#4]
TA33 Acog.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:25:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Aimpoint, always on

Eotech if you are on an assault team and therefore turn your optic on before heading into harms way.  For HD this is a non starter.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:22:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
More info on this setup please!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
More info on this setup please!

Quoted:
Can't say enough good stuff about this setup.  Affordable, no batteries, tiny, light, very proven optic, etc.
<a href="http://s29.photobucket.com/user/sea2summit1/media/DSC_0013_zpsba882c6a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c271/sea2summit1/DSC_0013_zpsba882c6a.jpg</a>

If you insist
Not a real SBR but I'm on the fence because of how often work moves me so give me some credit.

It's a Larue Tactical LT827  mount with the trijicon RMR dual illuminated dot and for the price LT is selling it for you CANNOT beat it.  The dual illuminated has a big fat green dot (9 MOA) and was made for pistols but I can hit a silhouette out to 100m all day long. At 100m it dose however pretty much covers the torso so if I did it again I might go with the adjustable (think it's like another $80).  But for a gun I planned to stick behind the seat of the truck and forget about it it's perfect because it doesn't use batteries.  Another plus if your doing a pistol like me is it leaves a ton of room for your face so you can maintain a normal cheekweld/body position while keeping the sight on the receiver.  Love it, have just over 100 rounds through the setup right now and I'm still happy with the choice.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:32:28 PM EDT
[#7]
t-1 for the win,

im wanting to try out one of those srs though.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:58:36 PM EDT
[#8]
A T-1 will take you out as far as an "urban"environment will allow.

Anything more is just extra weight.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:00:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Head positioning is very unforgiving with a T1 compared to larger sights. I see that as the one plus for the PRO / etc. vs. the T1.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go with a full size Aimpoint, like a pro.

No reason to reduce your FOV with a micro.

If you keep your eyes open it isn't a problem.

Head positioning is very unforgiving with a T1 compared to larger sights. I see that as the one plus for the PRO / etc. vs. the T1.

lol.

Not with a consistent cheek weld.

(These posts always baffle me...)
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:05:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Aimpoint, always on

Eotech if you are on an assault team and therefore turn your optic on someone is assigned to pass fresh batteries out to everyone before heading into harms way.  For HD this is a non starter.
View Quote

I don't have anyone passing out handfuls of batteries every time I need them.

Aimpoint FTW.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:33:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Lithium AAs go a long way with EO Techs.  Don't corrode either.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:28:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Im a little early to the game, since my Form 1 hasn't been approved yet, but Im planning on moving my TA31F onto my 10.5, which is currently in pistol form. I have an EoTech 512 also, but Im going to leave that on a different AR. I like the ACOG better due to the always ready aspect, and using the BAC Im nearly as quick with the ACOG as the 512 in CQB ranges. At distances over 50 yards, there's no comparison between the two, ACOG hands down.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

In my small town "urban environment" I can see over 250 yards from one corner of the square to the other. I would prefer a low-powered magnified optic.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:26:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

lol.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol.

lol.

This is a tech forum, quit trolling. Contribute something useful or shut up. What I said is factual.

I guess you've never shot from an unorthodox position, when you can't get a good cheek weld.

(These trolls always baffle me...)
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:30:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
In my small town "urban environment" I can see over 250 yards from one corner of the square to the other. I would prefer a low-powered magnified optic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In our last DM class, we were making hits at 550m with aimpoints very consistently.

That being said, if you have bad eyes, magnification would be better.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:31:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
lol.

This is a tech forum, quit trolling. Contribute something useful or shut up. What I said is factual.

I guess you've never shot from an unorthodox position, when you can't get a good cheek weld.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

lol.

lol.

You are correct General.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:39:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

In our last DM class, we were making hits at 550m with aimpoints very consistently.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No doubt that RDS are capable of 500+ yard hits, but can you identify what you're shooting at ???
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

No doubt that RDS are capable of 500+ yard hits, but can you identify what you're shooting at ???
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He's the one shooting at you.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:55:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a mini ACOG (1.5x) and it is tits on.  I destroyed a 3-gun course a few weeks ago with it.  Even very accurate when shooting to 300 yards.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:06:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Swfa SS 1-4x or 1-6x
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:17:16 PM EDT
[#21]
i opted for the ACOG/RMR combo on the 10.5" since i cant see 500 yards without magnification. the RMR is less than perfect in its location on top and with the small eye box but practice makes perfect. i think i am going to move to a 12.5 barrel for this set up though.

my other option is just irons, nothing to fail you when things are up close and personal....although at that point aiming should be instinctual.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:29:00 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I had one of these for a while. It's a well made optic with great glass. I put a cat tail on it which made it even better.  Head position/eye relief in 1 power was rather forgiving IMO.  However, ultimately I came to hate the triangle reticle and ended up selling it. I might try another one one day now that they offer it with a more traditional crosshair.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Trijicon TR24 with BAC triangle. Gives you a true 1x all the way to 4x. Perfect scope for anything from 0-300 yards.

I had one of these for a while. It's a well made optic with great glass. I put a cat tail on it which made it even better.  Head position/eye relief in 1 power was rather forgiving IMO.  However, ultimately I came to hate the triangle reticle and ended up selling it. I might try another one one day now that they offer it with a more traditional crosshair.
The tr24 is probably the most overlooked optic around but is probably the most versatile optic around

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:14:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have a mini ACOG (1.5x) and it is tits on.  I destroyed a 3-gun course a few weeks ago with it.  Even very accurate when shooting to 300 yards.
View Quote

yes

ta44 > rds
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:13:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

yes

ta44 > rds
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes

ta44 > rds

I'll add to this, I've had RDS of all flavor, and unless it was for a rifle to be used exclusively (or at least mostly) at indoor distances, I'd vastly prefer a 1.5x ACOG. I can't say enough good about the TA-44 (and to a lesser extent the 45 and 26). Outside of about 10m I am a lot quicker and more precise, they're very lightweight, no batteries, self-illuminated. Simply put, they're my favorite close-range carbine optic, and I've been around the block quite a bit in this category.

It's all subjective though, there is no 'best', only the one that best fits YOU and what you want to get out of your rifle. At the end of the day if you're choosing between a Trijicon, Eotech, or Aimpoint, you really can't go too wrong.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 1:40:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Run an eotech 516 with 3x magnifier on my 10.5 very happy with this setup.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 7:09:55 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a T1 and PRO, so that's what I would use in that scenario.  I could also use my TA31 if I needed magnification.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 9:04:44 PM EDT
[#27]
While the glass on the Swaro is outstanding, it is not combat durable. I know some prominent 3 gunners that have broken a few of them.
The Steiner 1-5 Military and the upcoming Steiner 1-6 would be better options.

That said, for an SBR, my choice would be the Aimpoint H1 or T1

Mick

Quoted:
If you can afford it: Swarovski Z6i 1-6x

Otherwise, any other 1-6x you can afford.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 12:29:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

True, but a strong shooter gets by fine without even in armor or from odd positions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, but a strong shooter gets by fine without even in armor or from odd positions.

I myself prefer the larger fov, and I carry a rifle daily for work.  I'll quote my buddy who just came home from Iraq, where he took  a x39 in the leg and still managed to kill the iraqi " if I could have had a plasma TV mounted to my rifle to have sighted with, I would have".

Not everyone IS a strong shooter, and IMO the relatively small weight difference isn't worth the smaller FOV.

Neither way is wrong, just preference. He should try both and make up his own mind. The hive here prefers T1's because they're sexier, lighter and the vast majority are hobby/safe queen guns.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:24:17 AM EDT
[#29]
I use an RMR.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 4:02:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Leupold VX-R Patrol 1.25-4x24 with Firedot SPR reticle. I shoot it out to 600 yds on Fig 11's (admittedly with a 20" barrel). Wind it down and you have a both eyes open daylight usable red dot sight for close in. I hope to put one on a 12.5" barrel rifle in the not too distant future..
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 5:40:22 PM EDT
[#31]
I've run everything from a few Aimpoint PROs, Aimpoint Comp M4, three Trijicon Reflex optics with three different reticles, 1.5x ACOG and 3x ACOG and EoTech. I've owned EoTechs on my own and used them extensively at work. Out of them all, the only one I don't own and never will again is the EoTech.

I used the EoTech effectively at work but we had constant battery issues with them along with terminal corrosion issues. That was out of 100 EoTech equipped rifles. I rarely had a shift where I didn't have to replace batteries on someone's rifle.

On my personal EoTech, I had an issue where the gas leaked from inside, making the reticle very dim even on the brightest setting. When I contacted EoTech about  the issue, they said the optic was over 10 years old so they would not even repair it if I paid. To be fair,they did offer me a discounted "upgrade" to a newer model. They were so generous that if I shipped the damaged optic to them, the discount amounted to $20 off what the optic would cost from any online distributor.

I got into the EoTech specifically because the Trijicon reflex optics are only good as long as their tritium lasts since Trijicon won't replace it in them, so they are a 10 year optic. I guess the EoTech is, too!

Anyway, on my SBR, I use an Aimpoint PRO. I have a few of them and see little difference between them and the Comp M4 that costs twice as much. I did try my 3x magnifier setup but it made the SBR too heavy.

I have been toying around with the idea of trying the 1.5x ACOG on my SBR.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer for the "which optic is best" question. I will run an Aimpoint or Trijicon ACOG without reservation. I've seen WAY too many EoTechs fail to even consider them anymore. If they crap out in the middle of running the Tactical Qual Course, it would really suck if they shit out when you really need them. I know there are plenty of happy EoTech owners out there, but under hard daily use I just never found them reliable. Maybe better batteries would have helped (we used Energizer Industrial), but at least the Aimpoint isn't battery sensitive.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:08:38 PM EDT
[#32]

I know there are plenty of happy EoTech owners out there, but under hard daily use I just never found them reliable. Maybe better batteries would have helped (we used Energizer Industrial), but at least the Aimpoint isn't battery sensitive.
View Quote

Count me as a very happy Eotech consumer who ran one on my duty rifle for years while on patrol.  I have had two 512s for over ten years.  I EXCLUSIVELY rub Lithium AAs in them, as alkaline batteries are not robust, and can leak, corrode, and ruin your electronics.  

That being said, the only optic I won't ever buy again is a Trijicon Reflex, as the red dot washes out if using a white light. This is bad when you have to shoot under your own illumination.

I respect the Aimpoints.  Good kit. I prefer Eotech reticles and "window" vs. tube. I also like how easy it is to mount an Eotech.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 12:27:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Count me as a very happy Eotech consumer who ran one on my duty rifle for years while on patrol.  I have had two 512s for over ten years.  I EXCLUSIVELY rub Lithium AAs in them, as alkaline batteries are not robust, and can leak, corrode, and ruin your electronics.  

That being said, the only optic I won't ever buy again is a Trijicon Reflex, as the red dot washes out if using a white light. This is bad when you have to shoot under your own illumination.

I respect the Aimpoints.  Good kit. I prefer Eotech reticles and "window" vs. tube. I also like how easy it is to mount an Eotech.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I know there are plenty of happy EoTech owners out there, but under hard daily use I just never found them reliable. Maybe better batteries would have helped (we used Energizer Industrial), but at least the Aimpoint isn't battery sensitive.

I agree 100% about the Trijicon Reflex. I liked them until I tried using them with a light. They bring a new meaning to useless with a light. That's why I would buy either an Aimpoint or Trijicon ACOG optic again, definitely not a Reflex.

Another reason I prefer Aimpoints over EoTechs is the reticle. I find the EoTech reticle busy and completely unnecessary. I hear the arguement that the circle is good for CQB. My question in response to that us what's difficult about putting a dot where you want to shoot?
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 12:41:05 PM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 12:48:52 PM EDT
[#35]
While the T1 has been my go-to optic for all my rifle builds for years my latest build i tossed on a Vortex 1-4 and it is quickly becoming my favorite rifle AND optic…  Love this thing!

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 7:33:39 PM EDT
[#36]
I had Aimpoints and eventually switched them all out for scopes on my SBR's.  Just get a scope with very good one power.  With training, it won't slow you down much at all at close distances and the magnification always comes in handy.

NightForce 1-4

Elcan 1-4
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top